• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sprag to Airshift conversion question....

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm swapping out a sprag for an air shift and noticed a difference between the drivers side case mounts. The airshift is on the jack, the sprag is in the truck. Can I use the sprag mounts with the airshift?, or do I need to swap out everything including the brackets on the frame? the undertruck pics with no t-case are from the donor truck.

Attachments

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
gringeltaube,

Is the big gear in back top of the transfer case interchangeable between models, I have an air shift that falls out of high range going up through the gears and would like to take the parts out of the sprag to fix the airshift. You posted pics of the gear I am talking about in another thread.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the big gear in back top of the transfer case interchangeable between models, I have an air shift that falls out of high range going up through the gears and would like to take the parts out of the sprag to fix the airshift.
Yes, every single part including the main housing is exactly the same part#.
Only exceptions are the rear output shafts and front output housings with most of their internals.

G.

Reactions: FMJ

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm wondering if it would be easier to change the input and output housings, rather than the internals of the main TC housing....

Lance, can you give me the TM number?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sprag to airshift

"Is this the latest and greatest book for the Transfer Transmission?
TM 9-2520-246-34-1 and 34P"

YES! Don't know if the latest but good enough for your project.

"I'm wondering if it would be easier to change the input and output housings, rather than the internals of the main TC housing...."

I thought it was clear…..
To convert your sprag TC: open both main cases, clean and inspect synchro, shift fork, gears (dogs) for wear, check brgs., recondition companion flanges, remove 33T gear from both rear output shafts, swap these alone, not the gears!, re-assemble with new seals, select shims for correct brg. preload and finally swap entire front output section.

Sounds simple but besides the didactical aspect and value it is a lot of work on heavy stuff and I would only recommend this if your sprag TC really deserves to be saved from scrap as a low noise, low mileage unit!
Maybe better find a new owner for it (some still seem to prefer them) and try to get a sound air shift for more or less the same $$$.

G.

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I've been trying to find airshift cases near me that aren't gold plated but no luck. (I have a line on a parts truck chassis, so thats 1)

The sprag I have won't adjust, the air shift slips out of high range (handle falls into neutral)

I'm putting in a good takeout Air shift, and will have these 2 out on the shop floor to tinker with.

Found that first thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=14890&highlight=Slipping+high

Here is a link to all the air and control items that need to be swapped: http://www.tpub.com/content/trucks2.5ton/TM-9-2320-209-20P/TM-9-2320-209-20P0236.htm

Thanks again for the info G!

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
More progress...

Tonight I swapped out the drivers side transfer case mounts, the airshift has 4 screwed in studs, the sprag has 2 studs and 2 bolts. When the sprag mount is transfered to the airshift case the top 2 studs have to come out and the bolts are used instead. If you try to use the studs they will hit the mounting bar that runs front to back.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I like your tranny jack, FMJ. How stable is it with the Deuce transfer on it?

I am about to have to do this............ twice.... maybe 3 times. aua

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yes sir, it's stable. The jack also works for the transmission, so I got a 2 fer when I bought the jack. Done the swap more times than I'd like too. . .

The use of a strap makes it just about idiot proof.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes sir, it's stable. The jack also works for the transmission, so I got a 2 fer when I bought the jack. Done the swap more times than I'd like too. . .

The use of a strap makes it just about idiot proof.
Do you prefer the tranny jack to the old "pipe through the windows with a chainfall" for the transmission R&R?

We have a truck with a blown up input bearing and I am about to pull the tranny.

C

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say a jack only works safely on a good shop floor while with the chainfall method you can do a swap in the middle of nowhere.

G.

Bobbed4x4

Banned
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just necro this one....
I just finished swapping out my sprag xfer case to an air shift unit. I didn't take any pics, but I can tell you it took two of us an afternoon to pull the donor truck's case and another day for three of us to drop my sprag and in install the air shift unit, and plumb the air lines. It was nice having the donor truck as there were parts beyond the case needed to do the change. all the air lines, the switch of course, but the thing that suprized me is there is a "block" under the dash that provides air to the cab, this needed to be changed to allow for the extra air line supply. A smooth shop floor and a transmission jack from the local rental shop, a few bloody knuckles, and a lot of sweat got the job done though. They say there's a lesson to be learned in everything you do, I learned from this that I'll never buy another deuce that has a sprag transfer case lol.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bobbed4x4;649379......... I learned from this that I'll never buy another deuce that has a sprag transfer case lol.[/QUOTE said:
Good for you... and all the privileged ones who have easy access to so many of these trucks, in (almost perfect) running condition & cheap, to choose from......[thumbzup]
(This is me watching GL auctions: :drool: )

G.

YTS Deuce

As the owner of the "Donor Truck" and the receiver of a few bloody knuckles, I can say having done this now that installing an airshift t-case could be done in an afternoon by two guys. Provided you have the right tools.
Our first day reminds me of the old saying about monkeys and footballs :roll:
The second day went very smooth. :jumpin: