• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

?? Starting of in 2nd gear??

crazywelder72

Ok, we all know I am new to this and i am not ashamed to admit it.:cookoo: I took the beast for my first real local check-out ride. I quickly remembered how quick 1st gear climbs and seems to not be necessary when empty on flat ground.

It seemed to handle just fine pulling off from a stop in 2nd gear but I don't know if this is acceptable or harmful.

Any thoughts?

DeucesWild11

I was wondering the same. 1st gear is so low when you switch over to 2nd you're barely moving anyway. The TM states First is First. Perhaps starting in 2nd will burn out the clutch faster..?
Inquiring minds want to know! ha.

tiny110

Banned
Back when I ran the 9 - 11 tires I would start out in sec it sometimes. No I am running a 46 inch tires and I don't think it would be too good for the clutch. From what I understand the clutch is the weak link in the drivetrain. But I am trying to make my clutch last as long as possible. It just looks like a lot of work to change it.

APM215

I do it all the time with my truck. Others might tell you the shaft size on the second gear is a weak point, but I think it would only be a issue if the truck was fully loaded. Bottom line is it is your truck and you know what it likes.

DeucesWild11

I suppose it's a little less stress on a bobbed deuce.. no? A little less weight to get rolling. I try to pick when starting in 2nd like if I can begin with a slow roll downhill.. when uphill I always use first.

bigugh20

I think it is because you can take off in first (or 2nd low range) without having to rev the motor/slip the clutch to get it going. There is a key somewhere in the transmission that likes to shear.

DeucesWild11

Going to go get the paint for my eyeballs.. That's the one I remember.. Going to use first more often now.. Just wish it was easier to get in and out of.

Crazywelder, with those 53's (I'm guessing) you probably have even more strain on the clutch. First is a pain in the A but I am going to make a point of using it more..

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure you can start out in second. Your clutch won't last as long though. Guess it depends on how well you like changing clutches. There are several small things you can do to insure your clutch has a long happy life. Starting out in first is one of them.

I do sometimes start in second when heading down hill. Level ground or up hill it's always first.

tiny110

Banned
I'm a floater!

When I drive my Deuce. I start out in first. And then I float gears the rest of the way.

In my m818 I start out in second. And float the rest of the way.
but the motor has so much mass it seems like I can just pop the clutch and it takes off in second gear. And it takes so long for that big motor to wind up and down if I was to float first to second the truck would be stopped by the time I got it in 2 second.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I'm a "splitter"......I almost always start in Low Range, 2nd gear......third, fourth, fifth.......back to High Range 4th gear and then up to fifth.

It's like having a six speed.......my bobber it would accelerate like a rocket using the split shift.

crazywelder72

Hey thats why i ask.... I guess I'll use first. The cars behind me will just have to deal with it.

I actually searched for starting in 2nd gear and a lot of threads came up where it may have been mentioned but it would have taken all night to read thru 7 pages on this one and 5 pages on that one, over and over.

At least this thread has it in the title for future searchers so hopefully it will help.

mcmullag

2nd gear woodruff key

From reading on here, I do not start from a stop with trans in second gear, high range, as I have read threads on here at least twice about this. It seems a woodruff key holds the 2nd gear to it's shaft and the 'load' of starting the truck from a dead stop can shear this woodruff key and then the gear just spins on the shaft (not how that thingy is supposed to transmit power on down the drivetraine). I googled for it and got this thread....
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/46555-second-gear-2.html
"you'll shear the woodruff keys on the 2nd gear cluster (not sure if that's countershaft or mainshaft)"
I have followed wreckerman's advice a few times where he starts up in 2nd gear, transfer case in low range and then goes thru all the gears, then after 5th, shifts transfer case to high and trans back to 4th(in a quick two step process) then back on up to fifth. That works pretty good. Here is a vid of a guy doing that......just watch up to first 40 seconds to catch this act...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IS5wL0Y42s[/media]

tiny110

Banned
I was a truck driver for 6 years. Floating is shifting gears with out using the clutch. Or grinding the gears! Lol The only time you use the clutch is to get started moving. It makes the clutch last forever. And if you do it right it causes no noticeable ear damage.

Josh

In 3 years and about 20k miles I've put on my truck, I've always started out in second when not loaded down or on a incline. If I'm heavy or towing, or on an incline, I always start out in 2nd low. The only time my truck sees 1st is off-road or when my truck can't pull 2nd low.

Your miles may very, some have sheered second gear or burned up a clutch, yet to have issues with either. Clutch is still strong enough to chirp the tires.

DeucesWild11

Ah ha I heard "floating" called "power shifting" in the past.. Perhaps just another name.. kind of like, Hoagie, Hero, Grinder, Wedge.. hey are all just sandwiches!

tiny110

Banned
I float everything. I've floated 18 wheelers, dump trucks, my dodge, deuce, 5 ton, I even tried my parents RX8 one time.( I never got to drive it again after that. I grinded the **** out of it. Lol its a habitat to float) but the thing that I learned to float with first was a tractor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks