• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

?? Starting of in 2nd gear??

big hoss

Everybody says the major issue is with the woodruff key on the second high gear
2nd low or 2nd high it dosent matter you only have one 2nd gear it just goes through the t case and goes through a 1.98:1 reduction. If i could do it over again before i ripped out 2nd i would only use low range for offroad and pulling things (FIRST GEAR ONLY). then when driving around town use high range. Start in first then go from there, and when you go from first to second dont stomp on it to hard you will either brake the woodruff keys or brake second gear (like me). Im not saying that you cant use low range i use it all the time im saying dont switch it from low to high or high to low when going over 5 mph it will grenade your t case.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He says she says...Everyone has something different to say, everyone has an opinion. Sometimes there are many who coincide and sometimes not. Im just gonna keep doing what I do and not think about it anymore. If it breaks, Ill fix it, If it doesnt, then who cares lol. Roast the clutch, shear the key, grenade the tranny, blow out the transfer, twist an axle, explode a pumkin....so many variables. Im not skurd.
You are correct. A guy posted the question and people gave their opinions (including me). It's up to the individual reading the thread and TM and decide on their own what to do. I don't see it as a safety issue (endangering others) so start out in 4th if you feel you need to. :)

dozer1

To me it just seems like a little common sence would tell you if it's OK to start in 2nd or not in a given situation. You wouldn't have to be so steadfast one way or the other (IMO)

For example. A bit of a load, a starting off on an upgrade, and the big tires would make a big diff too. All situations where the first gear start off would have to be best.

Now if you are running 9.00's, no load, got a downgrade to start off on, you prob see where I am coming from. As long as you aren't smoking the pi$$ out of your clutch to start in 2nd, can it really be that harmfull? I wasn't aware that the deuce was a fragile machine. :whistle:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I start in 2 low then 2 high and finish off. This is done on the pavement. I feel if I can start out in 2 low and ease the clutch out without giving it any fuel then hit the throttel and she starts to climb to red line it did not hurt the clutch or truck. With any deisel the gear you slect you should allways when in the mud be able to go to red line and hold it till you dig a hole or get out.
I don't down shift when comming to a turn or stop I coast in the last gear I was in using the weight of the truck to carrie me a long way. Then just before she starts to shutter I slect the gear that will carrie me through the turn shift turn and go. These truck are not complated to drive.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks