• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

?? Starting of in 2nd gear??

Big Z

I think float shifting is more appropriate terminology than power shifting. Powershift transmissions work differently than traditional manual transmissions.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do float the gears on non-synchronized transmissions. It's hard on the syncros on synchronized transmissions though. On the deuce I use the clutch.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about (georgia overdrive) have you ever heard of that?
Yea, I know what it is. Not a real good practice though. I suspect you could overspeed the deuce drivetrain real easy using Georgia overdrive.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I almost always start in second even since I have put on the 395's. It doesn't seem hard on the truck at all. I do the same with my 1970 Chevy C-10 and its pushing 500,000 on the original transmission, so I think it is plenty fine to start off in 2nd.

tiny110

Banned
O I would never use georgia overdrive on a deuce. :cookoo::cookoo:I did it all the time when I was driving over the road. I hit 122 mph in a 66 mph governed truck one time...:cookoo:

crazywelder72

well, now that I know the name floating, I learned to do that in my 1982 Chevett and I still do it sometimes on my Triumph (bike not car).

I know what Kentuky windage is but never heard of Georgia overdrive.

So the 2nd Low wont affect the "woodruff"key but 2nd Hi will?

KsM715

I actually searched for starting in 2nd gear and a lot of threads came up where it may have been mentioned but it would have taken all night to read thru 7 pages on this one and 5 pages on that one, over and over.
You'll learn alot more that way than just looking for a direct answer.

So the 2nd Low wont affect the "woodruff"key but 2nd Hi will?

Second low is a lower gear than 1st high. (I'm just guessing, I do not know for sure, But I can tell you its lower than 2nd high.) In the few years Ive been on here, this comes up about every 6months. Its seems that for about every 1 member that says they never have a problem starting off in 2nd there are about 3 that say they used to till they had to fix the trans. You do the math.

SMOKEWAGON66

O I would never use georgia overdrive on a deuce. :cookoo::cookoo:I did it all the time when I was driving over the road. I hit 122 mph in a 66 mph governed truck one time...:cookoo:
You sir, have balls of steel lol...My '00 Pete was goverened at 85 and I only hit that once and I didnt much care for it... 'course I was pulling a wiggle wagon so....Fastest in a semi ever for me was 95mph under its own power, bobtail. I never was much of one to be trimming my toenails on the fan, and I rarely ever stomped on my CATs nuts too hard. I like to be gentle with expensive toys lol....I also float gears but it just wont do it on my deuce...I need more practice. I start off in 2nd because for whatever reason, by the time i manage to get it into 2nd ive almost rolled to a stop.. 1st to 2nd is the toughest shift in my truck and I dont know why. :whistle:

...just thought of something, but its probably been covered...the ones that do shear the woodruff off starting out in 2nd, were they 3052's or 3053a's? has there been some actual statistics on this? I have a 3053a and I always start in 2nd...maybe they have different keys? something to ponder.

Last edited:

joshs1ofakindxj

I'm a "splitter"......I almost always start in Low Range, 2nd gear......third, fourth, fifth.......back to High Range 4th gear and then up to fifth.

It's like having a six speed.......my bobber it would accelerate like a rocket using the split shift.
Same here. I follow that exact same pattern most of the time.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always start off in first but by the time I get it into second I may as well be at a dead stop. I have pulled out of the drive in low range and split them and that seems to work better.

beemerphile

I do float the gears on non-synchronized transmissions. It's hard on the syncros on synchronized transmissions though. On the deuce I use the clutch.
A newbie here, so my opinion gets greatly discounted, but in my 600 mile recovery trip I determined that my truck is happiest when I rev-match it as if I were floating the shift and then use the clutch anyway.

F18hornetM

Maybe I will pay for it someday, but I always start off in second. Unless moving around the yard. Doesnt seem to strain anything. Drove the M35 and the M813 for 4 years in Marines and always started off in second, unless you had to use first to get it to move or up mountain roads. I also only have 900x 20's [m35] and 1100x20's [m813]. so those big tires you guys have I'm sure make some difference. I also use the clutch for all the gears, although possible not to, whats the need really? The amount of wear your gonna save on your clutch disc is minimal. Of course just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:

Darwin T

from the research i did when i got my frist Duece, almost every transmission for sale that has issues second gear is out from starting off in second.

F18hornetM

And to think the one I drove for 2 years in the desert, starting in second alot and never had trans problems. loaded in sand sometimes used first. I had the same truck the whole time, as well as some others. But then it never had much of any problems at all anyway, fuel leak, axle flange gasket leak was about it, pretty reliable for the abuse we put on them.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always start in 2cd, unless loaded, been doing it for years. Took the transmission out for a bearing problem and the clutch looked great. I threw a new disk in because I was there, but the old one had very little wear.

On the 20,000lb M108, I use 2cd low range and split shift.

1st to 2cd high range has always been a tricky shift on my truck.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't put a lot a miles on my 1972 deuce, but I feel that it shifts very well from first into second with only a minor slow down. I'm not a master driver, so it also works well for me. :wink:

That said, sometimes I roll up to a stop, waiting for traffic, and have trouble getting it back into first! I have to repeatedly double clutch. :???:

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I'm driving the XM818 with a heavy load (which is amazingly often) I start in 2nd low because it is lower than first, if I start in first high the whole drive train swings over and attempts a barrel roll, and I've heard the clutch slip. I shift all the way up to 5th low, then to 4th high. Helps with the awful 3rd-4th split too.

I don't start the deuce off in 2nd unless it is a rolling stop or on a downgrade. I have also been attempting to learn the float shifting method, in my MV's and in my road tractor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks