• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers 2009 Florida Rally media thread

stalker

Hey Kenny,
I just noticed you on the home page.... you're famous. You account for almost 5% of all posts on SS. Thanks for the pics too and it was good to meet you this weekend!:p

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My synopsis! The weekend was an absolute blast even when doing deuce travel with a 7 yr old and a 2 yr old. The ride up was no problem at all. Upon arrival we set up out hooch and checked out the neighborhood. By lunch I was enjoying some prime rib. Met many friends and got to put some new faces with screen names. Only really took my truck out once and that was to blaze a trail to a recovery site and snatch out 2 trucks. We enjoyed a moderate fire most of the time. Come Friday I put the kids down early and joined them. It was cold that night, I'd guess mid 20s by the half inch layer of ice on the dish water. I bought a Coleman Procat heater for the back of the deuce to knock the chill off for the kids. It barely worked. I'm stepping up to a Mr Heater Big Buddy for the next time. Saturday brought milder weather and a good day at the range. Don't know why I only brought 300 rds of 22. Shot off my 10/22 compact and the GSG-5 plinker. Sunday found us loading all of our bounties and like any other rally, I had the big stuff. Another deuce rear from Joe Trapp, multifuel can from Joe, seating from an -A3 deuce from Matt, 101A2 axle from Matt and other misc goodies to include some 40MM cans, airpack (reman), 'glass endgate for a 105 and a tarp for a 105 too. My fuel mileage wasn't good at all and on the way home I found out why. I had to run flat out to maintain 60 and then it started dropping. I knew the M105 brakes had issues but I had unhooked the hoses and opened the petcock on the tank. Whatever happened I don't know but I had to crack a bleeder to release them even with no air in the system. The drums were blazing hot and the BFS came out almost at a boil but it fixed the problem and 60 was easily maintained. It was a great trip for sure!

TaylorTradingCo

Bubba,

I am glad to hear you made it home alright. I was worried about you being out after dark and your generator not running. I got home just now, 7:30 Monday night.

We had a fun time at our first rally and really learned a lot, but it didn't come easy or cheap. We had to resort to plan F, literally.

My F-350 blew a head gasket, so I borrowed my FIL's truck, but didn't get 10 miles out and my trailer u-bolt broke and dropeed the leaf springs. We tried to fix it, but noone had the parts, we tried to chain it in place, but it was too risky for a 600 mile trip. I wanted my wife to drive her van down so I would have a ride back, but that didn't work out either, so we drove the Deuce down, 15 hours road time.

The problem was I had sold the Deuce and was supposed to deliver it while in Orlando. I had also sold some axles to another guy there in Saint Cloud and he wanted a truck too. I had also sold a 5-ton transfer case to Pete (it was supposed to be Vinny's, but he will get one too as soon as I pull it) and found out that he had brought a truck to sell. So I got on the horn and got my axle guy to buy Pete's truck. Turns out there was a U-Haul place right next to his shop. So when I delivered the truck/trailer/axles I rented a U-haul and drove it back to camp. Then I got in the Deuce we drove down and delivered it and got the new owners to bring us back to camp to the U-Haul for the ride home. We didn't pull out of camp until 9:30pm Sunday night.

We stopped in Ocala and met up with Vinny Monday morning to do even more trading.

The only bad thing is that the U-Haul cost me over $600 to drive home!:cry:!

But we had a great time and will definitely be coming to more Rallys in the future.

I don't remember your name, but thanks to someone for the cots, we slept great on them in the back of our truck.

Also thanks to Pete and Cheryl my neighbors there for their support and company.

Derek Taylor

5tonMan

my brother christian recorded a lot of videos from the weekend and i'm still waiting on him to give them to me. once i have them i'll sift through for content to post. unfortunately my camera was on the long list of things i forgot to pack. someone remind me to bring my camera next year please..haha

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting pictures and videos! One of these years I'll be on the road again.....temps in the 20s, that kinda cool for oranges and campers...

tjcouch

.....temps in the 20s, that kinda cool for oranges and campers...

No kidding! Brrrrrr. The next video I make will be the full "director's cut" rather than just brief little clips. Might take a few days though . . . I need to work on my Jeep TJ this evening, and Wednesday, well, that's poker night . . . and then there is a mountain of laundry that now all seems to smell like camp fire with a dash of diesel . . . .

And speaking of poker . . . . maybe next year we have a Steel Soldiers Hold 'em tournament one evening in the mess tent? :idea:

Had a lot of fun out there with you guys. Even though I don't have a MV it was a lot of fun riding in some of yours. If I can next year I will try to get out there a few weeks before the rally and Clear out a more defined camping area, by clearing out some of the dead wood. Maybe if I have some help get the tents, tables, and chairs set up before hand. Maybe get a tank of potable water out there too.

I also have a bunch of pics to upload once I find my camera.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks