• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers emails and site issues

ChrisinVT

I agree with 45FMJoe. I knew right away that someone got into somewhere they didn't need be. I checked 4Chan but didn't notice any raid threads, not sure what sparked their interest. I've had my forums and websites hacked before. One was so destructive my host had to delete my account and create me a new one.

And for the people that didn't get the email, it's because you have "Receive emails from Administrators" turned off in your cPanel options.

Kasper31

Admin.
Thanks for getting this great site back up and running the way it should be, please understand this can, will,and has happened to us and can happen again. Thank for getting it back, we are still a great site ! Keep it going, if people could only understand how much work you folks put into this. Thanks again

CanonNinja

Frankly I'm disappointed to hear some amongst us were stupid enough to not realize the website was hacked and actually wrote the site staff multiple nasty e-mails. That's inexcusible behavior and you should be ashamed. If I flew off the handle without first collecting the facts in my career, not only would I be fired but I would probably be in jail for violating peoples' civil rights. Let's look at this objectionably. First of all, the e-mails Identified themselves as "Anonymous." If you don't know who they are, a quick Google search would have revealed they are a hacker group. Also, the e-mails never identified themselves as site staff, nor did they say they were official website e-mails. In law enforcement we call this a clue. Second, it's the internet. If anyone thinks anything is ever truly secure on the internet you need to just take your computer out back and shoot it - you cannot handle the real world.

Some of you apparently owe some serious apologies. :-?

ETA - I understand this was worded harshly, but sometimes it's necessary to make people understand how their poor behavior is received.

Amen. I dunno what irritates me more... the forum being gnar'd up (this is the 3rd one I'm a member of with the same attack), or people actually making personal attacks on the site staff.

"Lighten up, Francis."

budman67

I get these three,

support@steelsoldiers.com

Recent emails and events

Mon, 3/26/125KBRead

You Are a Coward

Mon, 3/26/126KBUnread

Declaration of Revolution

But I don't check my email often,but I did notice that the site was down,
When I saw my email a few minutes before this post,I was mad at what I
saw.but looked around the site before posting. I didn't think of the site being
hacked,but then again,I haven't read this type of language from members
here.

Thanks for fixing the issue and your continued defence of our interests.:beer:

As Dog says, most of us realized almost instantly what had happened. You did a great recovery, and we are all glad the site is up and working!
Yep...anyone who would think those emails actully came from any representation of this website/forum do not understand what this website is about.

I appreciate the info you have presented and am very greatful that you were able to regain control and get the site back up.

There is no way to thank you enough for running this website that has helped so many people in so many ways!!!

Thanks!

Nathan (yellobronc)

Amen. I dunno what irritates me more... the forum being gnar'd up (this is the 3rd one I'm a member of with the same attack), or people actually making personal attacks on the site staff.

"Lighten up, Francis."
Those who have been with steel solidiers long enough know the staff would not put out emails of that sort. It should be very obvious something is "not right" if something like that happens.

The staff has done an excellent job of keeping this forum/website on line and with the needed upgrades over time.

THEY SHOULD BE COMMENDED....not CHASTIZED!!!!

SITE STAFF:L Thanks agian for handling it as fast as possible!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My wife just got the coward e-mail
Just now? What is the timestamp on the email?
not sure, she got it on her phone, her e-mail is linked to it in real time, she knew what it was and just deleted, she also got the first one yesterday afternoon. this is sorta strange as she has not logged in in a year or so, just uses my log in if she needs to, also, I never received any e-mails, the two bad one or the one the SITE sent, I get all the PM announcements ????????

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When she logs into her email at home, have her look at the email header for the timestamp. Depending on how the phone is setup, it might have been a delayed push notification.

ABN173

It appears that the intent of the hack was to get out their "message" via the email and the site redirect. It could have been worse I suppose, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

Again, I'm sorry about the events of today.

Drew
No worries Drew, it happens. You guys fixed it fairly fast too!

Now about the message, if they wanted to get a message out; why not hack CNN? lol better yet hack down the price of fuel then people might actually be interested...... all kidding aside Great job on the fast reaction!

-Dale

steelypip

Got the emails last night. Knew immediately what had happened. Purposefully neglected to log onto the site last night.

And in the 'every cloud has a silver lining' column, we had a site-wide tour of my department (IT) today. I was walking people through the computer room. I used the hack of SS (unnamed) as an example of why we take server and workstation patching so seriously in the talks I gave. The immediacy of my 'why just last night' lead in really seemed to resonate with the user base.

Honestly, most folks just don't know what a nasty place the raw, unfiltered internet is. And yes, it looks like whoever the hacker(s) who busted in were, they were a pretty benign lot, and maybe they thought they were going to get a different population than they found.

If it's not privileged information, which module had the vuln they used?

bkwudzhom

I did not hit the thanks button on your origional post and get lost. I do thank you for the time and effort all of the admin put in here to keep SS up and running. I have no Idea where, how or if I could find a better bunch to gain knowledge from. The thought of the e-mail actually comming from SS NEVER crossed my mind. It was obivious that something was jacked up. Thanks for the quick repair.
BK

Reverend Evil

Thank you for getting the site fixed so fast and like it has been said before we should all feel important to be hacked by someone it does just go to show we do have a voice someone thinks worthy of hearing.

rizzo

For all those who chewed on you for what happened, they now should send an apology, and a Thanks. Would be curious to know how many complainers will send a Thanks.

Thanks for a great site,

No I didn't send a nasty email
Ditto! Pretty obvious this was what it was. Appreciate you getting the site up so fast so I can enjoy my nightly dose of SS to wind down after a long day!
I agree. They need their common sense checked. It does not take very much brain power to figure out that whoever sent the e-mail was not the same person or group that made this post. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/1079786-post59.html

Last edited:

onegmjack

Drew congraulations on the baby on the way. I read it, might be in another post.
When I was not recieveing email from the site.I wrote you a email.When and looked at my blocked email list.That was a few weeks ago.Had blocked a email simlair to the two yesterday.It was from support @steelsoildiers.We will have to report any strange thing we see,just to be on the safe side.

motorolanut

Ok after I got this in my email last night from support@steelsoldiers.com, the email has been added to my junk email list until things are rectified on this site. See below for the BS email message

You should be thankful for this. You get important information and a positive message, much more important than what you would be talking about if you were going to be talking about anything else.

You get your forum tested for vulnerabilities and dangerous holes exposed, holes that are actively being used by malicious hackers to install malware and steal money from people. Holes that are easy to fix and should have been fixed months ago.

You get emergency response training that you cannot get anywhere else, from someone that means you no harm and only has to get the message out.

The message itself is vital for your survival. Like it or not, the Revolution is coming, and you are not going to sit this one out. If you choose to fight against Us just because you don't like being hacked, you are making a terrible mistake.

Do you think that you can just hide with your guns and fight off the New World Order army when they come for you? Did Waco and Ruby Ridge teach you nothing? Or will you just do nothing and submit when they come to take away your guns, enslave you and your family, and kill 90% of the population?

You should put your guns to good use while you still can. Time is running out and nobody will be more sorry than you if it does run out without you doing anything to resist.

You like to think that you are defending Liberty and exercising your freedoms, but you are actually a traitor to all those who love Liberty, because you sit back and do nothing while legislators are taking away freedoms piece by piece. So don't complain that you don't like being hacked and if you are trying to fight us, you are fighting the wrong people. There are people that are talking about hacking us back and threatening violence. This is hypocrisy, because if it's okay for you to hack someone, then you have no grounds to be offended about being hacked, and by all counts hacking is less offensive than violence. It is also treason, because we are actively fighting for freedom, while all you do is talk and your words don't match your actions. Of course, you think it's much easier to fight us because you think we are small and weak, and the NWO is big and strong, but this just shows you for what cowards you really are.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks