• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MVPA Convention Award

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Members!

SS is working on a new era of cooperation with the MVPA in order to further the efforts of both of our groups. In that theme, David Welch, the MVPA President, has offered us the opportunity to present a SS award to the vehicle of our choosing at this year's MVPA Convention in August.

In order to do this, we will need to come up with the criteria with which the winner of the SS Award is chosen and we need to come up with an award.

I am open to any suggestions for the criteria. Please let me know what your ideas are. Best M-series? Best scrap yard to show stopper restoration?

We need someone to fabricate an award to be given out too. I was thinking of creating something out of MV parts and having a brass tag made for it, but time is drawing nigh. I am on vacation all next week and the convention is the week after that. Does anyone want to volunteer to spearhead the trophy creation committee??? SS general funds will be available to help pay for parts if need be, but let's be as budget minded as possible.

In other news, SS will be running a full-page insert in the MVPA Convention program. It was created with lots of help from Mike Devilman96. In exchange for the insert, we will be running some MVPA banners on our site.

I think this new effort can only benefit both of our organizations. Let's show the convention attendees what a great group we are by creating a great trophy and rewarding a very worthy vehicle at the show. One of our SS members will be selected to present the trophy at the show. We'll have to come up with a creative way to select the presenter too!

Thanks for your help!!!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw this thread as soon as you posted it and thought you'd have more volunteers than you knew what to do with so I didn't post. Well it's been up a while with no responses so I'll go ahead and offer my help for anything that is needed.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This is great Chris!

I've talked to David Welch and he's a great guy, a real asset to the hobby.

I say the most hyper accurate M-series restoration. But I say that as a Mopar guy who like NOS date coded mufflers. :razz:

emr

This is a BIG plus for us all, the MVPA needs M series, I wish i was going this year but vacation plans are in the way, I would do anything U asked me to do, next year i will attend and be happy to do anything, I think one idea is an NDT tire on a deuce rim, would be an awesome prize on a stand with a brass plaque, just saying...:-D...ok, maybe a minature...:-D

Big CASE

to bad I am not closer to do something for the event . I did not know about till today .
But still if I can do something Chris let me know I will do my best to help out

citizensoldier

Man this is a great idea but not enough time to do much... Nothing but good can come from this semi union of organizations. SS has become a strong player in the military vehicle world for sure...
If we had more time we could come up with a real cool trophy.. I am just to far away to do anything.. :cry:

Blythewoodjoe

I have a couple of thoughts. First off, I would suggest the award and the criteria should reflect a computer or the internet in some way. It seems to me that is the most we all have in common and therefore our trademark to a large degree. You might consider a plaque with a engraving of a common man with the hood up on his M-series truck and a lap top computer on the fender. Or a combination of a truck part and a computer part (A deuce steering wheel and a monitor fused together:roll:)

The criteria would be something along those lines too. Some how come up with a way to determine which vehicle on display benefited the most from the internet. Maybe a computer nerd award. See who looks the most like Mike or something along those lines. I really have no clue how to pull this off.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Joe

Blythewoodjoe

Oh, here we go, a mouse glued to the top of a deuce piston. I have an old HP wireless mouse right here in front of me :wink:.

But wait, there's more,

Come up with a list of things you can ask the particapants. Things like:

Did you order parts on line?
Did you find your vehicle on line?
How many forums are registered on?
Etc., etc., and so forth. The person with the most points gets the award.

Last edited:
This site leans toward the M series trucks and not too much towards trailer queens. Since many here have experienced the thrill, comfort and glory of an extended Deuce trip an award for the farthest someone travelled to the convention in an M35 would be my vote.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well...i cancelled my MVPA and GAMVPA membership because of some issues that would not be appropriate to post here. SO....

I agree... this could be a most welcome union...and with David Doyle (DD) onboard i have the highest hopes for our hobby and for the MVPA.

I'm gonna sit this one out but am willing to jump in with gusto when I see the MVPA and the new fellers on the staff start to bring some progress to that association.

I REALLY hope this works out...cause I truly believe the MVPA needs our support...and they deserve it...if they can get get a program going that we can accept.

Last edited:

tractor

I say every vehicle needs to be open for the award. modern to revolutionary war cannons. This site is open to all of us and there is sections for just about anything military. My idea is every vehicle needs a picture taken and put it to an online vote here on the site. Let us all decide here on the site what we want to win not limit to M series only

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great thoughts and ideas everyone! Keep them coming!! I like the idea of online voting, but I am not sure of the feasibility, meaning I am not sure how far in advance we could get the photos and how long we would have to vote on them. Let's keep brainstorming.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We have had several volunteers for the trophy fabrication so we have that covered. Please keep submitting ideas for the trophy and for voting criteria!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Generally, our main purpose is actually not to restore to original state, so we shouldn't use that as a criteria.
Any vehicle may qualify, but must be drivable since we have off-road rallies as our main events.

I would suggest that vehicle with modifications to maximize performance (easier maintenance, safety on the road, less noise, less polluting, best braking ability, best tires etc) without sacrificing any of the original requirements.

Unfortunately, there may not be very many vehicles at an MVPA convention
that would meet those criteria, but that's not our kind of rally for the most part.

I like the idea of a 3-lever light switch as the award, since it could symbolize the utility and often ingenuity of the military vehicle. Just a light switch on a wooden base and a brass plate...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I love Blythewood Joe's idea for the laptop on the fender with the hood open.

2027Deuce

I don't think the best MV conversion into the daily grocery getter is the best criteria for a SS award.

The MVPA is more about preserving the vehicle as it is what it is, on here alot of vehicles get modified and I think everyone agrees not all mods are appealing to everyone all the time but that the diversity is atleast educational to all of us.

I am proud to belong to both organizations, the vehicles are to envy and the people are some of the very best you could ever hope to meet anywhere so I hope the award will showcase what both groups have in common, everyday kindof of people using the not so everyday kindof vehicle.

emr

I love Blythewood Joe's idea for the laptop on the fender with the hood open.
I second this idea...it would look classy and a great combination of the old and new, This site has it all, would have to be easy to see what it is, so a 12 inch long diecast model , just thinking...Randy