• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MVPA Convention Award

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea of an online vote, but it might mean that you could not present the award at the show. The best I could do, assuming I manage to go, is to take pictures Friday and upload them Friday night. That wouldn't give people much time to vote and still present Saturday. We could do an online award, something like a banner ad.

Still, it is our award, so I vote for an online vote for the best in show of anything there. At Dayton I would have voted for this:

Michael : photos : CUCV3
You could have people submit for the award well in advance of the show and have the voting go untill shortly before the presentation. Have a rule that if you submit a vehicle for the award you have to be at the convention to win. That way you'll have somebody to submit the award to and the winning truck would be on display.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You could have people submit for the award well in advance of the show and have the voting go untill shortly before the presentation. Have a rule that if you submit a vehicle for the award you have to be at the convention to win. That way you'll have somebody to submit the award to and the winning truck would be on display.
That would send ALOT of traffic to the site too. More membership! I like it.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a list of the 2008 MVPA winners:

[FONT=&quot]Master Class Winner[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Judges Choice[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Best Vehicle Display[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Restored Class[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pre-WWII 1 ½ -ton [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pre-WWII[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pre-WWII Lightweight Vehicle [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Artillery WWII[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]¼-ton WWII[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]½-ton WWII[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 ½-ton WWII[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wheeled Armor WWII [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tracked Armor WWII [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Armor Korean Era[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Trailer Vietnam Era[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]½-ton Post War [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]¼-ton non-US Post War [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 ½-ton non-US [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Motorpool Ready
Class[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]WWII Lightweight Vehicles [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]WWII Motorcycle [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]WWII non-US Motorcycle [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]¼-ton WWII [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]¾-ton WWII [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 ½-ton WWII LRDG [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2 ½-ton WWII [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4-ton WWII [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]WWII Armor Halftrack [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]¼-ton Vietnam Era Mighty Mite [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]¼-ton Vietnam Era M38 Series [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]¼-ton Vietnam Era 151 Series [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]¾-ton Vietnam Era [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 ¼-ton Vietnam Era [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2 ½-ton Korean Era [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2 ½-ton Vietnam Era [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tracked Armor WWII [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tracked Armor Vietnam Era [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5-ton Vietnam Era [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1st[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 ¼-ton Desert Storm [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 ½-ton non-US Vietnam Era [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4-ton US Vietnam Era [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]8-ton US Desert Storm [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

lstmate

Chris,

If I can do anything to help in this endeavor please let me know. Obviously I will be present for the event but might be just a little bit busy.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So, after perusing the above awards, I can find none for the Longest Distance Traveled. It should be pretty easy to add a supplementary form to the MVPA's vehicle check-in where the owner would write down how far they drove their vehicle to the show.

2027Deuce

The longest traveled idea is a good one, but is that the only criteria? I would like to see the SS award be more coveted by the members of the MVPA, instead of who simply traveled the farthest. The laptop on fender is a good idea, maybe the piston trouphy and an engraved plaque are in order.

Also if you are not currently happly with the MVPA, how do you effect change from outside the organization? Why not renew your membership and have your voice heard? I am not a Jeep owner so I know its not just a Jeep club, you may have some of the same MVs I do so your support together with mine is what will make the difference. 2cents

lstmate

FYI..... There are at least acouple of groups that I know of are planning on setting to depict an operational motor pool and a complete base with a mash unit, kitchen, and motor pool. At least that was the early plans.......

Maybe a new award reflecting a group effort of displaying and sharing history, not just a single vehicle.

Just a thought..............

See everyone there, please look me up!!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris and members, I was more interested in the vehicle DRIVEN from the furthest distance, not just the furthest distance. I think promoting the driving of the vehicles is more attune with Steel Soldiers.

The longest traveled idea is a good one, but is that the only criteria? I would like to see the SS award be more coveted by the members of the MVPA, instead of who simply traveled the farthest.
Let the MVPA present the "covetted" awards, the Steel Soldiers award should be more grass roots. More like a dirty fingernails award.
In my first post I recommended the long distance award for the Deuce, due to the level of effort it takes. It would seem wrong to give the award to a guy that drove his CUCV 10 miles farther than a guy that drove his CCKW.
Since the convention moves each year people from different areas will always have a shot at this award.
In the past I have seen the grass roots type of award become the award that is very covetted by the members. As with most awards, it is not important what you get, it is important that you got it.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Distance driven could present some problems with some running in a convoy, for example. It would also keep some out of competition, simply by living too close to the event with highly qualified vehicles and lastly, how will the distance be measured?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Chris and members, I was more interested in the vehicle DRIVEN from the furthest distance, not just the furthest distance. I think promoting the driving of the vehicles is more attune with Steel Soldiers.
That's what I was talking about. I could care less how far someone trailers their MV to an event.

Please don't assume I am only considering the longest drive award now. Keep brainstorming folks.

jasonjc

I like the longest drive also but it needs to be for the bigger trucks. Any one can drive a pickup. Needs to be 1 1/2ton or bigger.?.? And the truck needs to have been driven NOT trailered. Just my $0.02 And the am30+ is a good idea but I too would not want too leave any one out as we have lost a few too many.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Let us honor all of our departed members who we have lost in the previous12 months. We can do this each year to honor them and their contributions. Just think, 1 day your name will be on the award. What a touching thought!!!!

SterlingDevelop

I like the best "before and after" concept.
Show how much and what kind of work you have put into it.
Judged on how bad it was, (50%) and how good it is now (50%)

my 2 cents

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I received an email from a member with a good suggestion. He said that there are usually convoys to the convention from different parts of the country and that we should consider awarding the trophy to the group with the longest (miles, not feet) convoy. Long convoys are a SS tradition so it would seem fitting.

What say ye?