• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MVPA Convention Award

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
He is the guy in the pictures with the "Castro" hat on. Yes to the Mods on his truck, he and Jewell just complete the Trans/cont trip with the duce. The only problems on the 30+ day trip was 1 flat and the brake light switch shot craps. I hope I am going that strong when I get to be his age.

Last edited:

54reo

Sorry for the delay folks. We just got home and we are tired! My family and I stayed until today in order to visit the LST325 again.

I will post up soon with pics and story, but first I must cool off from the 400 miles sitting on a M35A2 box seat.

2027Deuce

The award couldn't have gone to a nicer guy and gal. I had the pleasure of meeting Lamar and Jewel on the convoy, this couple is a great representative of the hobby. Congrats Lamar and Jewel !!!:driver:[thumbzup]

CUCV1986

Lamar and Jewel originally recruited us to join the MVPA many years ago. Shortly afterward we bought our first CUCV and things went wild from there. We were with them on the TMC 09 and they are some of the nicest people we have met in the MV hobby.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can any of the SS members who attended the convention and assisted with the judging/presentation post up some more pics and info for the rest of us? I am dying to see some more pics of the competition. Thanks!

54reo

Same here, I neglected much of the around the house stuff during the time frame leading up to the convention that I have been playing catch up since I got home.

The write-up is about half done, and I will try to post up tonight...

Back to the bathroom remodel now...........................................

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The judging and presentation were handled by committee, (mostly because no one wanted to do it by themselves – afterall, misery loves company). All in all, I think the endeavor was a success, but I believe all those involved would probably agree that we learned a lot and can make future awards even better.

Brian (54reo) was in charge of building the trophy, so he had the most recent contact with Chris (steelsoldiers). Brian gathered us up on Friday night to get a game plan together. There were many steel soldiers involved in making this award become a reality. I apologize in advance if I leave anyone out.

Several of us were concerned about the scope of this task, so we set out to determine the number of eligible vehicles. As we began walking and counting, the first dilemma that we encountered was deciding which vehicles should be included. Since the award was titled “ The Steel Soldiers Excellence in M-Series Award”, we knew that this would include most modern MVs built after WWII, . . . but what about the M8 armored car or the M5 Stuart? We decided that the MVPA already covers the WWII vehicles pretty well with its own awards, and that the Steel Soldiers award should go to a post-WWII vehicle.

Our preliminary count was 50+ eligible vehicles. 54reo volunteered to print out the judging score sheets, and Stan took task to pick up some clipboards. We would begin the daunting chore of selecting a winner on Saturday morning.

The next obstacle was the difficulty in gathering information to complete the score sheets. Much of the criteria used in the selection had to be obtained from asking questions of the vehicles’ owners. Unfortunately, many of the vehicle owners were not aware of our award, and consequently were off enjoying other events at the convention. 54reo managed to obtain a few minutes in front of the convention’s Public Address system and made an announcement to the crowd. He asked all owners of M-series MVs to stand by their vehicles so that a new award could be judged. A small group of us then set out to rate the entries. Gimpy, Stan, 1621, 54reo, and myself grabbed the clipboards and started asking questions.

The total number of vehicles actually judged was about half of those eligible because of the difficulty in locating and interviewing all of the potential entries. However, we did end up with a very good cross-section of vehicles. Some of those that I can remember ranged from the M274 mule, M38, M715 family, many of the ubiquitous M37 and M35s and variants, a M818 (with trailer that handled support duties on the Transcontinental Convoy) and even a very nice M915 which the owner used to haul a couple of his other MVs to the convention.

By the time we got all of the judging finished and tallied the results, it was nearing the end of the day on Saturday, just in time for banquet / awards ceremony. We rushed in to meet with David Welch (MVPA president) and David Doyle (Supply Line Editor). I would like to apologize to those two gentlemen for our delay in meeting with them. At this point, they had very little idea of what we were going to do and say in front of the membership, but they trusted with our part.

We divided the award presentation into three parts. I would speak first, beginning with a thanks to the MVPA and then a brief introduction of the Steel Soldiers website. Stan would then take the microphone and explain the criteria used in the judging, following with the announcement of the winners. 54reo then unveiled the trophy and explained its creation. (BTW, Brian (54reo) did a fantastic job on the trophy. It was outstanding)

We were then wisked away for the obligatory photograph, and then returned to our seats.

I am sorry, I have no pictures to add. It may be hard to understand, but I don't think we could have chosen a winner based on a picture anyway. The stories that came out during the interviews were what made the participants unique.

The eventual winners of the award scored very well on the judging sheet, and also seemed to embody the Steel Soldiers spirit.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations to Lamar and Jewel for winning.

Awesome looking trophy from Brian and his Dad. Good job.

sw

54reo

Well, I am sitting here in a hospital awaiting the arrival of my youngest brother's baby boy, so what better time to actually get around to posting up on the MVPA Convention, right? (It's 0500, and we have been here since 2100 hours last night).

Crusher did a great job of summing up the events of the judging and the convention very well so I will not go into too much detail concerning that other than to say I want to express how grateful my family and I are towards the fellow SteelSoldier members for making us feel at home. It was great getting to meet all of you.

A BIG “Thank You” to Garry (our own “lstmate”) his family, and the rest of the Indiana MVPA guys and gals is deserved for hosting and organizing the convention. The event was very well thought out, and it showed. There was always something going on for all ages, and as busy as they all were any one of the Convention Staff were, they would always make the time to help and answer any question asked. My family and I arrived just in time to join the convoy and drive from the fairgrounds and through downtown. The convoy ended down by the riverfront, then with a quick speech and kickoff by the Mayor of Evansville, and a fly over from two Texan trainers the convention was set to run into the weekend. The convoy will remain something that we will never forget!

I would also like to thank David Welch for extending to us this opportunity to be a substantial part of the MVPA convention. I met Mr. Welch for the first time during this convention, and as busy as he was, he still made time to cheerfully meet with me and discuss the SteelSoldiers involvement at the convention. Everyone involved with the MVPA should be grateful that he is in the lead. He truly is a great asset to this hobby.

We were running short on time by the beginning of the awards ceremony, and as Crusher mentioned, this allowed little time for us to convey to David Welch and David Doyle exactly what our plans were for the award presentation. They were both trusting enough to allow us to present our award. The award and presentation seemed to be well received by the crowd (especially the choice for the award recipient).

Attachments

Last edited:

54reo

The determining factor for the choice of the award was not based solely on the vehicle. Since the basis for judging depended heavily on being able to interview the owner, quite a few interesting stories were heard in the judging activities. We quickly realized that the character if the owner should play an equally important role in determining the winner as the quality of the vehicle. After the judging had been completed, we met up up to tally the results. There were several vehicles worthy of recognition, but following this meeting, we knew there was clearly one participant that was above all the rest.

Lamar and Jewell drove this truck on the Transcontinental Convoy this year, living in the back of the truck along the way. They outfitted the cargo compartment with a (slightly) raised canvas cargo cover, carpet, field desk/drawers, and a bed. The truck was completely "gone through" in preparation for the convoy, and several personal touches were done to the truck for comfort and convenience. And on top of that, it is a great looking truck!

Attachments

Last edited:

54reo

The two weeks prior to the event are kind of a blur for me. I was not really able to get started on the trophy until the weekend before the convention due to work obligations.

When I was asked to help out with the concept and the fabrication of the trophy, I was both honored and overwhelmed at the same time. Now, I can picture “functional” concepts rather quickly in my mind, but when it comes to “artsy” type stuff I am completely lost!

Following a few late nights staring at the ceiling in bed, I had a rough idea of the shape and scale of the award. Since SteelSoldiers consists mostly of the larger M-series owners, a Multifuel turbocharger would make a great main focal-point for the award. The aluminum polished out very nicely once the housing was sanded. The internals and the cast iron components were sandblasted, with the external parts receiving a fresh coat of “383” green. I replaced all of the fasteners with stainless steel for a little flash, and topped the oil feed port with a polished brass cap. The data plate was modeled after one from a M35, and made by a company that builds plates for industrial machinery. The small plate under the turbo was placed there to show the names of the award recipients. Due to the rushed nature of all of this, both plates came in via UPS Red Overnight on Thursday at noon. Just in time to drill the holes for mounting them.

My father came up with the design for the base and the data plate mount. He had some walnut stock that we made both pieces from, but it was slightly less than 1” thick. The data plate mount is three separate pieces glued and pressed together, then cut to size. The base was sent through the planer until it was roughly ¾” thick. Several stages of sanding, ending with 400 grit paper, produced the end result we were looking for.

The angled section of walnut on which the data plate was mounted was actually three individual 1” thick pieces. They were glued and pressed together in order to create a block 3” x 3”. After a few trips through the table saw, we had the block in it’s final shape.

The canvas wrapped riser that the turbo was mounted to was built to be proportional to the M35 cargo cover, and it seemed to fit just right. I had a mint canvas cargo end cover stashed away and it was cut up in order to provide the material for the riser covering.

We completed the award at 1900 hours on Thursday, just in time to go home and pack for the trip. You can see we were a little worn out by the picture, but we had a blast working on it together.

The box with the url on it was a last minute project meant to keep the award safe during the trip to the convention. Following the suggestion of a fellow SteelSoldiers member, we left the award in the box until the moment of the presentation on the stage.

Attachments

Last edited: