• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MVPA Convention Award

Michael

I had another idea: Start a thread where everyone who is entering a vehicle at the convention submits a post with a description of the vehicle and pictures or a link to a photo album or whatever he wants to. Then we could "thank" the one we like the most. Pick a time to lock the post and the one with the most "thanks" wins. You can withdraw your "thanks" and give it to another one if you change your mind before the thread is locked. We might not get many submissions this year, but it would bring new people to the site, and it keeps it all online. They could tell us they plan to drive it or convoy it in and how far it is to get more votes. If they lie, someone will know and we could flame them for it or revoke their award.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Michael,
That's a good idea and would make a great secondary award for this year. We could give the winner a gift certificate to one of the parts vendors or something. I would still like to do something live and in person for this convention as well.

Michael

Part of my thought process was that this would all be done before the convention and you would lock the thread before the convention was over. That way you could present an actual award at the convention. Most people wouldn't have the computer savvy to post their entry from the show anyway, but if they can't post an entry, they don't deserve our vote. :grin:

It also forces them to register to be able to post their entry. They will also want to login and check their progress.

Last edited:

Green_gator

Chris,
If we go with the longest convoy idea we could name it the Red Ball Express in tribute to the WWII express. With the name it could be in honor of the steel soldier members we have lost. The members who the award honors can be listed by name for pick a criteria "the prior year, in service to the country, or other". Just my thoughts.

paulfarber

Since the MVPA is all about restoration, as mentioned earlier the SS award should be about seat time. Remember the P stands for PRESERVATION. Not driving.

The MVPA in the past has tried to award members for miles driven by awarding patches for member going to sponsored events. I think it died years ago as most WWII vehicles are not driven to the events.

Longest distance driven would rule out half the country as each year the MVPA convention goes from east to west coast.

I think an online voting option is a good idea. I don't attend most MVPA events so there is no way to support SS unless it was online. Plus you would get more eyeballs if it were online and maybe get more people into MVs.

I think a 'best in show' vote, a 'most popular' vote and the 'most improved' categories are always good.

I also think that there SHOULD be a dontation (a quarter or dollar a vote) so that the event can then either donate the proceeds to charity (always a good thing) or split if x%/x% to keep SS running and award the winner with some gas money or some sort of trinket.

Any trophy should be a motorpool-type object. One of those HUGE crescent wrenches, or something fun and upbeat.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I have a couple of thoughts here - I have the greatest respect for Armyman30plusyears, and hope that no one takes offense at what I am about to say.

There are people entering the hobby every day (and who have been in the hobby for years) who have no idea what SteelSoldiers is (or what the MVPA is) or that it even exists. By presenting an award at the convention, all sorts of exposure opprotunities are opened up.

Those who are at the awards ceremony will hear this announced
Those visiting the displays after the ceremony will see this.
The award winners are published on the MVPA website.
The award winners are published in various magazines in the US and abroad - that I can assure you of :)

Hence, I think that "Steelsoldiers.com" should be part of the award name, in an effort to drive traffic to this sight and increase forum participation.

Also, keep in mind that (at least as far as I know President Welch placed no restrictions on this) it is possible to present the award to a person (living or deceased), rather than as a person relative to a vehicle. That is you could have "best 6x6", or you could have "furthest traveled in a HMV" or you could have "person who best represents the SS spirit (aka sharing the MV hobby electronically)" - such as David F., RAM, Kenny, Chris S., etc. ; or person who has done the most to promote the preservation of post-WWII military vehicles - you get the idea.

These thoughts are my own personally - not those of a MVPA board member, etc.

HTH,
David Doyle

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
As a member of both SS and MVPA here goes my 2cents M series MV's have won best of show in the past in fact a M274 mule has. Nay on the Red Ball Express, one of the MVPA chapters in PA uses that as their name. If distance is important we will need to address everyone there in a Mv as many drive, but do not enter their mv for any type judging. I agree with Chris, David D and Michael.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
no, that would cut out a whole bunch of people who dont convoy, in 99 i drove my m52 about 200 miles for the san jose mvpa convention, could not find anybody to run with

2027Deuce

If the award is for who traveled the furthest, wouldn't that go to the LST 325? After all it came from Greece or something under its own power...

Just my 2cents

This award is a great idea. Thanks Chris for making it happen, I hope the exposure adds many more members to SS.

I have long thought the MVPA convention needed a "distance traveled" award for someone who drove their vehicle to the convention. Maybe that could be changed to who drove their vehicle the most mile in the past year, to encourage the daily (or frequent) use besides shows.

As for the trophy, Named after David for this year anyway, a brass plated seat cushion, with the nickname the "Brass A**" or, politically correctly, Brass Butt, award. David himself put a lot of miles in MVs every year, maybe not all his own, but I'm sure he would appreciate the sentiment!

davidkroberts

i agree with the above postings. I believe the thing that distinguishes this group from others in the hobby is the fact that our vehicles arent "trailer queens" for the most part. We pick up mulch, load furniture, drive for no particular reason, ect. I can appreciate the historically accurate vehicle lovingly maintained and restored over the course of years or even decades for some. I also have tons of respect and admiration for the guy who drops in a M37 and drives from some distant land to get to the show. It doesnt matter that his vehicle isnt "correct" or not to me.

my vote goes for the farthest distance traveled to get to the show in a MV. As for a trophy I think a tasteful plaque with a reference to the "Red Ball" or other signifigant military route. I do like the "Brass A**" moniker though.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Update time. Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions. Things have been going on behind the scenes so don't worry. I was out of the country last week, but one of our members was working tirelessly on the trophy. Let me just say that you all are going to be very impressed! I won't give anything away except to tell you that it is composed of MV parts and dang it is pretty!!

The award is going to be called the SteelSoldiers.com Excellence in M-series Award. The M-series trucks are by far the largest group represented on SS so it is fitting. The winner will be determined by a multi-factorial, objective approach. That way, multiple members can score the vehicles and spread out the work at the convention. It will also throw out any personal bias. The following are the factors I have come up with so far:

Vehicle Use:
- Daily Driver/Work Truck: 3 points
- Weekend Cruiser: 2 points
- Shows Only: 1 point

How Vehicle Arrived at MVPA Convention:
- Driven 500+ Miles: 5 points
- Driven 250-499 Miles: 4 points
- Driven 100-249 Miles: 3 points
- Driven 50-99 Miles: 2 points
- Driven 1-49 Miles: 1 point
- Hauled: 0 points

Modifications for Safety or Reliability (i.e. split brake system, better lighting, radial tires, disc brake conversion, etc...):
- 4 or more: 4 points
- 3 mods: 3 points
- 2 mods: 2 points
- 1 mod: 1 point
- 0 mods: 0 points

I welcome any additional suggestions for the point system. Thanks.

Looks like you've done a lot of thinking on it, Chris. Thanks for the effort. I'm looking forward to seeing the winner.

Just might want to think about a tie- breaker in case it's needed. A heavily modified weekend cruiser and a unmodified daily driver could end up with the same points depending on distance driven.

And, sorry, can't think of any criteria right off the bat that would qualify as said "tie-breaker".

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the thinking but I think you will have alot of ties. Most are daily/weekend drivers and if you drove to the convention the only other criteria is features added. My deuce for example has a good half dozen safety upgrades. How about adding another category with something like work completed to the truck, to separate those who just drove from a GL lot and added a remote brake resevoir and air assist to those who totally restored their duece driver.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How about this?

Vehicle Use:
- Daily Driver/Work Truck: 3 points
- Weekend Cruiser: 2 points
- Shows Only: 1 point

How Vehicle Arrived at MVPA Convention:
- Driven 500+ Miles: 5 points
- Driven 250-499 Miles: 4 points
- Driven 100-249 Miles: 3 points
- Driven 50-99 Miles: 2 points
- Driven 1-49 Miles: 1 point
- Hauled: 0 points

Modifications for Safety or Reliability (i.e. split brake system, better lighting, radial tires, disc brake conversion, etc...):
- 4 or more: 4 points
- 3 mods: 3 points
- 2 mods: 2 points
- 1 mod: 1 point
- 0 mods: 0 points

Work Current Owner Personally Completed:
- Rebuilt Engine: 10 points for total build up from bare block, 5 points for rings, hone, and seals
- Rust Repair: 5 points for cutting and welding in new panels, 3 points for bolting on new parts (one time award, not for each instance)
- Painted Vehicle: 5 points for 3-color, 4 points for solid color, 1 point for touch up's
- Re-wired Vehicle: 5 points (must be complete Front/Rear harness)
- Overhauled Axles, Transmission, and/or Transfer Case: 3 points each (must be all new seals/bushings/bearings)
- Rebuilt Brake System: 5 points (must consist of all new shoes, wheel cylinders, MC, brake lines and fluid)
- Mounted New or Good Used Tires: 1 point each
- Replaced Window Glass: 1 point each
- Replaced Top: 3 points hard top, 2 points soft top

Safety Equipment (BII or aftermarket):
- Fire Extinguisher: 1 point
- Safety Triangles: 1 point
- Flares: 1 point
- CB Radio: 1 point
- Seat Belts: 1 point
- Working 4-ways: 1 point

n1bnc

Whew, that is a lot of inventory to track!

I would suggest that this approach gives a shadetree mechanic more clout than someone who may have bought a vehicle already in good shape., but may have more "SS spirit"??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks