• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MVPA Convention Award

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please allow me reiterate that this is our award and David Welch made it very clear that we are to select the vehicle based on what our members like. We do not have choose a vehicle that is a full 100-point resto truck because we think that is what the MVPA members want. Keep the ideas coming.

Michael

I think the MVPA has the stock restoration covered. I like the idea of an online vote, but it might mean that you could not present the award at the show. The best I could do, assuming I manage to go, is to take pictures Friday and upload them Friday night. That wouldn't give people much time to vote and still present Saturday. We could do an online award, something like a banner ad.

Still, it is our award, so I vote for an online vote for the best in show of anything there. At Dayton I would have voted for this:

Michael : photos : CUCV3

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just vote for the nicest Deuce there, that has some of the more popular mods. I don't know if I'd vote for a bobbed deuce... well I would vote for C+C's crew cab bobbed truck.

Dennis

citizensoldier

I would like to see us present the " LTC David Frankerhauser MV Award " in honor of our departed chaplan. A soldier kneeling and praying to a cross, mounted on a deuce piston.

I support this as the name of the award 110% Maybe with Steel Soldiers in front of it. I dont think we need a soldier kneeling and praying but the deuce piston works for me... And would like to see a online Steel Soldier vote if we can swing that somehow.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since this needs to be open to all types of vehicles, and LTC Frankenhauser was well travelled, how about the long distance driver award given to the MV driven the greatest distance to attend? We are about driving the vehicles here at SS.

gunboy1656

Why not a best use of a truck catagory (with current pics), or a best online photo contest.

Both would have to be your own vehicle, with proof that its yours. Figure since every thread on here has to have pics.

Green_gator

I think the first thing to do is find out what the MVPA already awards trophies for at the convention. No need to double up on an award they already present. If they do not do a longest drive award I am for that as our award and agree that we should name it the LTC Frankenhauser award. Another thought for the award that would reflect all of the help that David provided members is a "Good Samaritan/Community Service" Award. During the course of the year MVPA members can nominate other members for going above and beyond to help out other vehicle owners or the general community when in need. To soon to do this for 2009 but maybe an idea for next year.

paulfarber

The MVPA is a JEEP CLUB. The only judging standards they have are for Willys and GPWs. So you will have a lot of jeep snobs there that will think that actually DRIVING an MV is pure lunacy. I think that any support of the MVPA is a waste becuase of the past and present issues with the running of the club. The decline in membership is due to their own greed and nepotism. You do NOT WANT TO BE PART OF THAT.

That said a simple dollar a vote for best vehicle is always popular and easy to arrange. You buy tickets and drop them into a can at/on the MV or at a table.

The money can be donated to a charity or given to the winner. As for a trophy I really like the idea of a piston with a rod. The piston is the base and the rod can have a plaque bolted to it.

A diesel piston is pretty big and it can even be an one for an MV engine... that way the owner may actually USE it if need be! WIN WIN!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The MVPA is a JEEP CLUB. The only judging standards they have are for Willys and GPWs. So you will have a lot of jeep snobs there that will think that actually DRIVING an MV is pure lunacy. I think that any support of the MVPA is a waste becuase of the past and present issues with the running of the club. The decline in membership is due to their own greed and nepotism. You do NOT WANT TO BE PART OF THAT.

That said a simple dollar a vote for best vehicle is always popular and easy to arrange. You buy tickets and drop them into a can at/on the MV or at a table.

The money can be donated to a charity or given to the winner. As for a trophy I really like the idea of a piston with a rod. The piston is the base and the rod can have a plaque bolted to it.

A diesel piston is pretty big and it can even be an one for an MV engine... that way the owner may actually USE it if need be! WIN WIN!
I used to think and preach the exact same thing. but I believe the current board and editor of Supply Line will have a positive influence on the group as a whole. David Welch knows that the MVPA has dropped the ball on the M-series vehicles and the online forums, but he and others like David Doyle are working hard to right the ship. If SS can help, then so be it. Ultimately, we are all in this for the MV's, whether they be restored, motorpool, or straight out of the Can. yard like most of my projects. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt here folks.

As someone mentioned before, they probably already have the longest travelled award covered. I will confer with David to get a current list of awards and report back soon.

I too like the idea of a AM30+ award, but he is not the only SS we have lost in the last few years. Let's not forget about Ethan, RAM, and others.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I am praying that will be the case SS...and as said before...I will jump on board as soon as progress is made in the MVPA arena. I actually liked the magazines etc but the politics and "selective" representation was no longer tolerable to me...and 20 other members of our little band of brothers in Columbus.

I vote for the Soldier kneeling etc someone suggested! I aint ashamed to pray and I think David should be recognized for his efforts on this great site.

B3.3T

Anyone stuck in the "Jeep Club" mentality is being very short sighted. In view of what is happening in Wisconsin and other places, and in view of the new faces of the MVPA leadership, we NEED the MVPA. The membership are us. And like it or not, it is the only organization that speaks for our hobby on a national level. Just like the NRA. We ALL need to support it. In that light, it does need updated to include more for the entry-level member, i.e. M-series! and this can really help. I think the award should go to "outstanding effort" whether that mean distance, restoration, or use...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M series collectors are now entry level collectors? I don't think that is a very astute observation. RAM must be rolling over in his grave being referred to as an entry level collector.

emr

The MVPA is no Jeep club,In fact it all started right here in NJ, the MTA then the MVCC was the first in the east and the founding chapter of the first national club, there were some problems it was dismanteled and the MVPA was born, It was and is there for all the right reasons, even the last group that thought it was there private club actually thought they were doing the right thing, and when they got so far off base the membership spoke up and threw most of em out, politly of course, Now it can be called a WW2 club when the past dictaters,i mean directors were in, BUT that is ALL different now,And if one can not see that from this post alone, nothing will open them eyes. I saw a post saying they are going to wait for change, well the change has come and it is AWESOME! the club IS back in the members hands, if someone is still waiting then it just may not be the club for them, I am a FIRM believer that one has every right to talk dirt as long as they are in the game, other wise there words are worthless, Now the MVPA is needed by us all, we are strong in numbers, the MVPA gives that to us, it helps every one of us, They will take your phone calls, and dave Welch will listen He is an awesome guy,and so are the other new directors, It is time to get on board and keep it on track, membership numbers mean more than most may realise to our hobby.I hope this site goes full steam ahead !!! All the best and good luck, I hope this site is well noted for all it is worth , and that is alot...I am not the type to go like, oh they do not do what i like so they are all bad, i would rather be part of the solution, than stick my head in the sand.,.,,Randy

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks