• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

step replacement options

Third From Texas

I like the idea of an automated step that comes down when the door opens. But at the end of the day, it becomes another moving part to break off-roading. I guess it'd viability/longevity would be based on truck use.

From an engineering standpoint, I'd likely just have a flat step that sits flush up against the base of the box. When the door is opened, the step lowers to the level of the OEM step.

There are some interesting solutions that might open themselves to moding:

81FJOL6Cf-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

or like this (bonus points for being "stripper friendly")

Untitled.png

dsthggsrtyh.png

71A27GShlBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Then there are the manually folding step options (my biggest issue here is "how to deploy them from a sitting position inside the cab"):

612R-Ou4+0L._AC_SL1373_.jpg

You might also look to "bed steps":

Untitle222222d.png

Cheapest solution is to simply replace the cable. Some neat alternative ideas out there, though...

Last edited:

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also just looked at the specs and the narrow one is 18” wide which could possibly be modified but in the stowed position it’s 6” tall which becomes in the danger zone.

coachgeo

Revisited this last night a bit. I noticed with the cab tilted up, that there is a pretty sizable flat spot on the backside of the bumper that could be used to mount something. If a step were mounted there, it would not move when the cab was raised. I think that might make designing something a bit easier.
bumper clearly states do NOT stand on it at each end. If this is a strength issue, and not so much slip off potential- Military Version of OSA issue, then adding to the bumper a step may require some reinforcing.

Guruman

Not so new member
bumper clearly states do NOT stand on it at each end. If this is a strength issue, and not so much slip off potential- Military Version of OSA issue, then adding to the bumper a step may require some reinforcing.
Wait. I cannot tell if you are joking or not.

I'm pretty sure I could park a Jeep on that bumper without reinforcement. It's certainly stronger looking than the body where the existing step is mounted.

Third From Texas

I think that's because the cab would crush the privates toes if said private were standing on the bumper while raising the cab (and don't think some didn't try)...

;)

Third From Texas

Wait. I cannot tell if you are joking or not.

I'm pretty sure I could park a Jeep on that bumper without reinforcement. It's certainly stronger looking than the body where the existing step is mounted.
Hmmmmmmmmmm

The bumpers on these things are pretty cheesy. Its likely that the bumpers/bumperettes are intended to bend and take any damage as opposed to telegraphing it to the frame. We've all seen countless bent bumpers on these trucks (especially on the gimpy weak A1R bumpers that have had a bunch of structural integrity designed OUT of the bumper to save weight). Alternately, I've bolted up real steel custom bumpers on Texas 4x4's that you could drive thru a 10 car police road block and not take a scratch. The OEM S&S bumper has never impressed me (but the A0 is certainly beefier than it's successor). You can *look" at an A1R bumper and bend it.

:)

Guruman

Not so new member
Hmmmmmmmmmm

The bumpers on these things are pretty cheesy. Its likely that the bumpers/bumperettes are intended to bend and take any damage as opposed to telegraphing it to the frame. We've all seen countless bent bumpers on these trucks (especially on the gimpy weak A1R bumpers that have had a bunch of structural integrity designed OUT of the bumper to save weight). Alternately, I've bolted up real steel custom bumpers on Texas 4x4's that you could drive thru a 10 car police road block and not take a scratch. The OEM S&S bumper has never impressed me (but the A0 is certainly beefier than it's successor). You can *look" at an A1R bumper and bend it.

:)
I don't have any reference for an A1R bumper, but I recently had to take mine off my A0, and it was pretty heavy.

Third From Texas

I don't have any reference for an A1R bumper, but I recently had to take mine off my A0, and it was pretty heavy.
Oh it's a two man lift for sure.

The A1R had a lot of material removed and the area at the shackles elevated (seemingly to make it easier to access the shackles but from my experience the shackles are easier to put on the A0 version). By opening up the shackle area and leaving the back open, the whole mess is quite weak). They also reduced the amount of area in the lower section (more steel cut out to allow for a larger skid plate some of the A1Rs have skid plates were made of plastic). The result is a lot more angles and a lot less metal.

You can see it's just one big open weak mess with tons of angles. The A1R bumper is a flimsy bow tie.

PB300033.jpg

vs the A0 bumper

s-l400.jpg

Guruman

Not so new member
Well. To be honest.... Part of the reason I removed mine was to remove a slight wrinkle I put in it when I hit a stump.

I hit it pretty hard as it was below my line of sight and I didn't know it was there. I broke the headlight, and put a kink in the thin strip of steel between the light holes.

I was pretty shocked that the damage was not worse.

coachgeo

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks