• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Supplies for a Long Trip

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With that putting the trip in mid summer, can you really melt the bottom of your shoes on the floor of the cab? I might have to put down some wood blocks on the floor for my wife to act as thermal insulators. Still excited about getting the truck, just bummed out the count down timer has rolled back up some.
auaauaauaauaauaaua
Easiest 'air conditioning' is to roll the windows up (and close the back window), then open the front windshields about four to six inches and lock them in place (or use blocks to prop them). Wear goggles because you will be getting all the bugs and road debris entering the cab, but the air will be forced into the cab and flow out through all the holes in the floor (and any other cracks it can find) and keep it cooler inside than the engine compartment. It also helps to have a cooler for keeping cold (cool) water available while you drive.

AZK9

... With that putting the trip in mid summer, can you really melt the bottom of your shoes on the floor of the cab? ...
Sorry to hear that your trip has been delayed. The heat of the summer season will make it a more
difficult trip, but as long as the added heat is taken into account, I think you'll be ok.

I will be leaving NJ on my 3000+ trip back to AZ at the end of June, or early July. To try to avoid the extra
heat of that time of year, one of the things I am planning is to do more night driving along 'roads less traveled'.
I'm very aware of the negatives that come with driving at night, but if the heat of the day, or crowded roads
present too much 'extra' danger... that will likely be my plan.

My experiences on heavily traveled interstate roads as taught me to try to avoid the dangers posed by the increasing
numbers of distracted drivers. I believe I can deal much better accounting for the higher temperatures of summer
than I can the unpredictability and carelessness of people paying more attention to their smartphones, than to the road ahead.

I'll be happy to share the things I learn along my journey if I meet my schedule and make my drive before you do! [thumbzup]

m109a2

Wow Wolfgang are you sure you want to do this to your bride.This trip will be brutal very brutal on her and you.Just my 2 cents rent a chase car and save your marriage.A while after I got home I drove my rig to jeepsinkers to show off and it is only a hour drive and hour a half by deuce it was only 85 degress and she almost fell out in her defense she was 59 but she does love to go to the civic center on Sundays to get a hot dog and take pics of family next to the rig.They make bandannas that have crystals in them that hold the cold buy these by the bunch and a cooler.Put them around your neck often.Also this delay will give you the time to order a locking door handle and a keyed battery switch.I bought from Those military guys made me sleep better at night. I drove my M35a2W/WC and a m35a2 frame with a m109 box and a m105 matted pintal turned into r.v.Give me a call three-three-seven-four-seven-seven-ten-sixty-seven

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is common for us desert dwellers to carry spray bottles with water. You want a mist spray and just periodically spray your face, neck, chest, whatever. The bandanas with the crystals work O.K. also but I think spray bottles are more versatile. Wearing a wet ball cap or jungle hat helps too. And you have to stay hydrated so keep sipping water. All this plus SCSGs suggestion all work to make for a decent environment.

As M109 states, it is still a brutal ride though. extra padding for seating helps a bunch.

My wife will ride with me regularly on trips using these tactics but she does not want her side of the windshield open, blasting her face with air. So only my side is propped open.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easiest 'air conditioning' is to roll the windows up (and close the back window), then open the front windshields about four to six inches and lock them in place (or use blocks to prop them). Wear goggles because you will be getting all the bugs and road debris entering the cab, but the air will be forced into the cab and flow out through all the holes in the floor (and any other cracks it can find) and keep it cooler inside than the engine compartment. It also helps to have a cooler for keeping cold (cool) water available while you drive.
Thanks for the suggestion. The hardtop doesn't have a window in the back (not much to see through the cargo cover anyway). Planning to have a cooler on the trip.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear that your trip has been delayed. The heat of the summer season will make it a more
difficult trip, but as long as the added heat is taken into account, I think you'll be ok.

I will be leaving NJ on my 3000+ trip back to AZ at the end of June, or early July. To try to avoid the extra
heat of that time of year, one of the things I am planning is to do more night driving along 'roads less traveled'.
I'm very aware of the negatives that come with driving at night, but if the heat of the day, or crowded roads
present too much 'extra' danger... that will likely be my plan.

My experiences on heavily traveled interstate roads as taught me to try to avoid the dangers posed by the increasing
numbers of distracted drivers. I believe I can deal much better accounting for the higher temperatures of summer
than I can the unpredictability and carelessness of people paying more attention to their smartphones, than to the road ahead.

I'll be happy to share the things I learn along my journey if I meet my schedule and make my drive before you do! [thumbzup]
Sent me a private about your trip. Maybe we could time it to meet up & make half of it back in convoy. Nothing better for a breakdown than knowing you have another rig with you. :driver::driver:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow Wolfgang are you sure you want to do this to your bride.This trip will be brutal very brutal on her and you.Just my 2 cents rent a chase car and save your marriage.A while after I got home I drove my rig to jeepsinkers to show off and it is only a hour drive and hour a half by deuce it was only 85 degress and she almost fell out in her defense she was 59 but she does love to go to the civic center on Sundays to get a hot dog and take pics of family next to the rig.They make bandannas that have crystals in them that hold the cold buy these by the bunch and a cooler.Put them around your neck often.Also this delay will give you the time to order a locking door handle and a keyed battery switch.I bought from Those military guys made me sleep better at night. I drove my M35a2W/WC and a m35a2 frame with a m109 box and a m105 matted pintal turned into r.v.Give me a call three-three-seven-four-seven-seven-ten-sixty-seven
I did offer her an out as a friend of mine wanted to go on the trip & ride shotgun with me. My wife said "Nope, that's my seat and be riding in it." My wife isn't one of those high-maintenance, trophy wives like you see on TV. She is tough as nails with a great sense of humor to boot! We've been married 33-years & she is always willing to help me out in the garage when I tinker with things. She is awesome! One thing though is she doesn't like driving so doing a rental car chase vehicle is not an option. We'll take each mile as The Lord presents it to us & we'll make it home safe & sound, even if it might take a bit longer than planned.

:driver::-D

Another Ahab

It doesn't sound like you're meaning to say "no". You all go for it!

My goodwill and prayers are riding with you.
And I hope you'll post the travelogue and some pics. :jumpin:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a wonderful evening on the 15th. I met up with 98G & got to ride in Carnac's Deuce out to work on another deuce. It was my first time in a Deuce & I LOVED IT!!!! I kept reading from everyone how bumpy the ride would be in the passenger bench seat, but it really felt to me just about like riding in my 1991 Wrangler.

I also got to drive the Deuce (first time behind the wheel for me) a bit & loved the view from the Driver's seat! Now I'm hooked and I haven't even been in the presence of my very own Deuce yet. Oh, I also got to try the torque-multiplier wrench I bought from Amazon. It pulled lugs off like they were sliding on melted butter! Got to see a set of 395 tires & tested my ability to flop one on its side & pick it up (aced the flopping, failed the picking). 98G told me I could get a hand winch & attach it to the bed sides and use that to winch the tire up enough that I could get it back standing & wheel it to the bed to hook it to the crane I got to hoist it up. Of course, I pray I won't have any tire issues with 6-brand new 395s rolling underneath the truck, but I like to be prepared so bought a new spare to hopefully grow old and lonely in the bed.

We got our GoPro Hero 4 Silver camera & new walkie-talkies so my wife can spot me when I'm parking or backing on the trip (and after). So anxious to get the Deuce. Oh well, patience, patience.

Last edited:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It doesn't sound like you're meaning to say "no". You all go for it!

My goodwill and prayers are riding with you.
And I hope you'll post the travelogue and some pics. :jumpin:
Thank you for the prayers & good will. With God, ALL things are possible & with Him as my navigator, the trip home is as sure as the rising sun.

Indeed, as we stop each night to rest, we'll upload picks from the trip & highlights of that day's travel. Plus we plan to make a documentary of the trip & will post it to YouTube. That will come after the retrieval, of course.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long deuce trips can be daunting for some, therapeutic for others. I've done 700 miles in a day and that was with another deuce piggybacked behind. That was an extreme day and had a deadline. Most travel days were 500 miles. Many times they would be with one of my kids in tow. There are many things you will see at 55 MPH that you've never noticed running 70. The trip will be fun. Maybe I missed it but are there any plans for communications with the wife? Normal conversation at highway speed will not be forthcoming.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting to ride in CARNAC's deuce is special as that is a really nice truck. Good luck on your adventure.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long deuce trips can be daunting for some, therapeutic for others. I've done 700 miles in a day and that was with another deuce piggybacked behind. That was an extreme day and had a deadline. Most travel days were 500 miles. Many times they would be with one of my kids in tow. There are many things you will see at 55 MPH that you've never noticed running 70. The trip will be fun. Maybe I missed it but are there any plans for communications with the wife? Normal conversation at highway speed will not be forthcoming.
Walkie Talkies with throat mics since standard mics would only grab the sounds of the cab. We'll have ear buds under our sound deadening headphones.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting to ride in CARNAC's deuce is special as that is a really nice truck. Good luck on your adventure.
Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it and was am very thankful to 98G for letting me take the wheel. I did forget to bring a set of ear plugs so I my tinnitus was elevated the rest of the evening. I'll definitely bring multiple types of sound deadening equipment so my ears don't become cauliflower over the trip.

Thanks for the well wishing. I look forward to the adventure.