• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

RAYZER

Good idea cutting off the outside handle lock tab, i worried about being locked in as well!
It might be funny to lock someone in and pull down the blackout panels, if they didn't panic!

61sleepercab

At a fraternity picnic at a State Park, a member thought it was funny to beat on the tin sides on the outhouse as I was in there occupied. He had his laugh but turn about is fair play, when he felt the call of nature and made the outhouse run, I followed and took a log and braced the door shut from the outside. I let him scream for help for a little while until I took pity on him. I would remove the outside hasp holes to prevent temptation for some one carrying an extra padlock in his pocket. Mark

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fairly productive morning, finished rough in of all AC and DC wiring, finished the insulation, installed foam strips over all of the exposed interior steel framework. Amazing how hot it gets on the inner surfaces when the sun is on the truck. With the foam strips, only slightly warm. Hoping to get the vapor barrier on the walls today. And maybe start the wall board!

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trusting soul aren't you!:-o
Only food in there, and none of it's cooked. Plus I'm in the middle of the rally, and a lot of people would be ticked off if something happened to their food. The lights stay on in the Mess Tent and at least one in the MKT, so any perps would risk being seen (think tar-and-feather time).

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only food in there, and none of it's cooked. Plus I'm in the middle of the rally, and a lot of people would be ticked off if something happened to their food. The lights stay on in the Mess Tent and at least one in the MKT, so any perps would risk being seen (think tar-and-feather time).
Don't forget the bears!:papabear:

bigugh20

Plus, I don't think that Mike actually ever goes to sleep during the rally, and he is well armed with large, sharp knives.

61sleepercab

IS HIS SPECIALTY MEXICAN FARE? I would not complain to the cook about anything. In the Frat House we had a common refrigerator and some would borrow if midnight hunger struck. My solution was to keep my stuff in a paper grocery bag because the food thieves were too dumb to look in the bag. Had fun watching a ROTC member try to heat canned GI rations on a commercial gas stove. He tried to use a bent can lid as a handle and I think the only thing really cooked was has finger tips. Best not to try cooking when the cook can't pass a field ration heating sobriety test.

61sleepercab

Are you going to write "THERMOS BOTTLE EQUIPPED" on the truck bed. A Union Carbide school demonstration on liquid nitrogen stated that if your house was insulated like the nitrogen storage jar, you could heat your house with a light bulb!!! You have certainly insulated the walls, now your energy and heat will go through the window panes. I am still thinking about at least one man size window near the front for safety...... I was feeding a carb on a bread truck from a viennia sausage can when the truck backfired and I was holding a can full of fire. I pitched it out the front door and had to retreat to the rear door to escape. Life lesson learned ..... Do not feed running engine from open container .....Always have Exit B handy in a emergency!!!!

Another Ahab

Are you going to write "THERMOS BOTTLE EQUIPPED" on the truck bed. A Union Carbide school demonstration on liquid nitrogen stated that if your house was insulated like the nitrogen storage jar, you could heat your house with a light bulb!!! You have certainly insulated the walls, now your energy and heat will go through the window panes. I am still thinking about at least one man size window near the front for safety...... I was feeding a carb on a bread truck from a viennia sausage can when the truck backfired and I was holding a can full of fire. I pitched it out the front door and had to retreat to the rear door to escape. Life lesson learned ..... Do not feed running engine from open container .....Always have Exit B handy in a emergency!!!!
Well, yeah, two means of egress is Standard Building Code for any habitable structure; for reasons just like you noted.

But I think the code is limited to a minimum of some determined square foot area; likely much larger than your situation.

But a second egress is never a bad idea (roof hatch?).

Last edited:

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, but I might sell ice cream out of it! The 109 has double pane windows, seems to help a bit. Am making a 30" square pass through to the cab with a lockable insulated sliding door. I won't sleep in the truck until I have a fire exit. Can't do a roof hatch, will be all solar panels.

61sleepercab

My friends mentioned with the roof solar panels are you going to put a tree limb protector pipe along the truck box top sides to help prevent a tree limb from putting you in the dark with solar panels dangling behind the deuce by the wires? Food for thought. Lots of trees here overhang the road edges and I have seen rub marks on truck tops.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friends mentioned with the roof solar panels are you going to put a tree limb protector pipe along the truck box top sides to help prevent a tree limb from putting you in the dark with solar panels dangling behind the deuce by the wires? Food for thought. Lots of trees here overhang the road edges and I have seen rub marks on truck tops.
Yes, already have plans on "skid strips" to help branches slide over the panels. I hit quite a few tree branches when driving local roads, including my own street.

61sleepercab

I worked summers on the State Road crew and a dump truck driver drove in the lot with tree limbs and leaves stuffed in what was left of his side mirror. I kidded him about cutting brush with his mirrors instead of a chain saw.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty full day today, camera was mostly ignored, more pics tomorrow. Cut and fit rest of outer wall board and got first coat of paint on. Ceiling tomorrow with help of a friend.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks