• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Scott. Snow is a four letter word... :naner: The blizzards of '77, '85, and '93 in large part convinced me to escape the white wrath. Orlando meteorologists have NEVER uttered the phrase 'lake effect snow', and they never will. :mrgreen:

Jericho

Your right , colder here, I live four miles from Vermont, have place in AZ, need to spend summer there Ie july and August

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Come on down to Central Florida, Jericho! You'll quickly learn that sweating is done year round. Outside air temp was HOT earlier this week. 83 with 80% humidity on January 2nd and 3rd. A cold front finally pushed through, dropping the temperature into the 70's during the day and 50's at night. We finally have nice sleeping weather!!! :)

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a lot of other things to do this weekend as well as some less than perfect weather, so only a couple of things got done. Finished my swing up ladder "latch". Wasn't sure how I was going to secure it, but turned out to be a simple deal. Two large eyebolts and a padlock. Good solid mount and if for some reason the hinges fail while driving, won't fall off of the truck. And fairly good deterrent for someone wanting to gain access to the deck and or stealing the ladder. Plasi-dipped the eyebolts to help with rattles. Also got one boot on the right side between the screen frame and the body. The canvas is normal military green but looks brown in the pics.

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well now I officially have an installed screen door. I'm sure not many deuces have one. I was not sure what I wanted to do, either get one custom made, make one out of wood, cut down a conventional screen door, or cut down a sliding door screen panel. The latter won out. Took it apart, shortened and narrowed it, rescreened it, reinforced it and installed a mesh shield on the lower portion. Squeezed in a regular door handle and latch. Installed backwards as the door opens inward. Some weather stripping and a threshold and it's done. Works well with the fold up ladder too. Doubt much gets done tomorrow as we have some weather moving in.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Well now I officially have an installed screen door. I'm sure not many deuces have one. I was not sure what I wanted to do, either get one custom made, make one out of wood, cut down a conventional screen door, or cut down a sliding door screen panel. The latter won out. Took it apart, shortened and narrowed it, rescreened it, reinforced it and installed a mesh shield on the lower portion.
It looks to work like a champ; nice work! I'm guessing the frame is aluminum then:

- How does it work being converted from a sliding door to a swinging door; can you notice any issue at all?

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just had a semi-lucid thought, Scott. To add strength, you could install an eye in the top left corner of the door and another eye in the bottom right. Pick up a piece of piano wire and a turnbuckle. String the piano wire through the eyelets and to the turnbuckle. Use the turnbuckle to adjust tension on the wire, thus adding angular stability. You could add a second set of eyelets, piano wires, and turnbuckle to the other side. What do you think?

Another Ahab

I just had a semi-lucid thought, Scott. To add strength, you could install an eye in the top left corner of the door and another eye in the bottom right. Pick up a piece of piano wire and a turnbuckle. String the piano wire through the eyelets and to the turnbuckle. Use the turnbuckle to adjust tension on the wire, thus adding angular stability. You could add a second set of eyelets, piano wires, and turnbuckle to the other side. What do you think?
Doing both sides would help resist any twisting. It sounds like a great idea if the door seems to "want"/ need it.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks OD and AA. But that would help with sagging, which it isn't doing. Only weakness I see is twisting, like if your foot got in the way while opening or closing. So far so good.

Another Ahab

Thanks OD and AA. But that would help with sagging, which it isn't doing. Only weakness I see is twisting, like if your foot got in the way while opening or closing. So far so good.
That reminds me of the story of the guy who accidentally fell off of the top of the Empire State Building.

Some people in the building had their windows open that day, and as he dropped past they reported hearing him say:

" Well, so far so good!"

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still moving forward, which is a good thing I guess. Swapped in a brand new airpack for the rear brakes. The one in that spot I had resealed about a year and a half ago, started dumping fluid out of the air exhaust line. Have not road tested yet. Totally finished the screens and bug blockers. Got two of the left side deck shelves in, one more in the future. Still have the right side to go. Installed the majority of the ceiling panels with LED lights. Also loosely installed the carpet. Put together a robust screen door hold open latch. Now I need one for the main door.

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bit of catching up to do. Was busy last couple of weeks finishing up as much as I could on the deck for the Winter Rally. Installed the generator on a roll out platform so I can fuel it and check the oil. It is strapped down with rubber isolators to wheeled plywood which in turn is locked to an eyebolt in the floor. Used an exhaust extension through a port in the side screen. Also installed a cord door for bringing in the 30 amp cable from the inlet on the side of the body. Easy to hook up and get going. Decided to add electric trailer brakes to my flatbed trailer that I use for my Ranger side by side. So of course a controller was needed. and that meant a 24v to 12v relay for the brake lamp circuit. Finally got my antenna bar up too. All 4 antenna's raise and lower in a couple of seconds with a swing of the bar. Pins hold it up and also down for travel.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks