• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tatra 912-2 upgrades!

duncan

Nice videos! Look around the vehicle some more next time, however much fun it is to stand out of a roof hatch, its not too interesting to watch :roll: I need to get my 813 registered so I can get it out in the open too!

EZFEED

Nice videos! Look around the vehicle some more next time, however much fun it is to stand out of a roof hatch, its not too interesting to watch :roll: I need to get my 813 registered so I can get it out in the open too!
How did you get them to open??????

HAHAHAA! Well I had just repainted the passenger (commander) side floor and I didn't want my little brother scuffing up the fresh glossy white paint with his shoes that I just put down (I'm putting in floor mats or maybe even carpet:smile:) so I had him sit in the back with the rear doors down and ride shooting pics over the cab.

Yes you do! YOu know what, I'm not registered yet but I have working lights and I affixed one of those red caution triangles to the back so I'm legal as a farm vehicle. I have to align the front and fix the glitch in the right rear LED turn signal before I can put it on the road but my paperwork is ready and the folks at OMV said they will approve it too so I'm about good to go! :D

duncan

How did you get them to open??????
Well, the text in the links was good, but they linked to your OWA account. So I copied the text and pasted that as url instead.

Got some more pics of your cleaned and painted inside? White on a farm vehicle doesnt sound like the best choice for keeping it tidy, heh.

EZFEED

Good deal, quite resourcefull!!!! :)

Yea I know its not the best choice for real use but man oh man it sure is pretty! :D
Besides, I'll be putting in rubber mats or maybe make some mats out of marine grade carpet. I was actually thinking about cutting 5 section of black marine grade carpet to fit in all four of the floor areas. I would take these five sections and sew then together to for boxes of a sort to fit in these floor wells and use large magnets in the backing so they will stay in one place. Thats the plan anyhow....

Pics...(where you see bare spots is where the upholstery glues in. Also I havent dont the front wall or the driver area yet)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/My%20vehicles/ATT00002-1.jpg
first layer in the comanders side. Dusted gloss white over a coat of POR-15
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/My vehicles/EZFEED031-2.jpg
Up in the foot well. Actually theres allot of space up there. All of the intercom equipment is up here on that side and the radio and its accessories are on this side too just to the left.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/My vehicles/EZFEED032-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/My vehicles/Picture048-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/My vehicles/Picture049-1.jpg
Just behind the commanders seat. There is another seat that goes back there for the gunner assistant. The crews in these sit back to back.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/My vehicles/Picture045-2.jpg
Front wall and my seat:razz:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/My vehicles/Picture043-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/My vehicles/Picture042-1.jpg
And just behind that is where I stopped painting. That big bare spot to the left is where the left side upholstery goes. I''m having it all restitched and I may even dye it to a glossy black. White actually was an original color they painted these inside but that was back on first production A models. Also some upholstery was black too but later models switched to the cream color and brown upholstery.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/My vehicles/Picture044-1.jpg

Here are some pics of another unit.
www.militaryvehicle.cz
http://www.militaryvehicles.cz/index3.php?sek=200-10&lang=cz

Last edited:

EZFEED

Hey, you see that stuff in that last picture just behind my seat.....the silver bottle of Diesel Kleen.
Dude thats some wicked stuff and if you think your IP needs to be cleaned then pour you some of that in the tank. Let me just tell you this bubba, when you crank it, get out of the caband walk away till it warms up. It really does a miracle job to your fuel lines and system but it makes the exhaust smell immensley acrid. It will smoke a little too and it adds a little pep to the diesel. I dont know how bad your 813's fuel tanks are but you ought to try it and dont just mix it in the proportions the bottle says because thats for a normal slightly dirty system. Put in at least double strength.

duncan

The tanks are.. well... bad. Only using one at the moment, the other is filled with rust and dirt. Already ran a few bottles of cleaning additive through, it really helps. Smoking a little is nothing new when working with a tatra ofcourse :-D Will look at "diesel clean"!

EZFEED

The tanks are.. well... bad. Only using one at the moment, the other is filled with rust and dirt. Already ran a few bottles of cleaning additive through, it really helps. Smoking a little is nothing new when working with a tatra ofcourse :-D Will look at "diesel clean"!
You know.......I wonder what the deal is with fuel tanks in these vehicles??? It seems like the number one cause of trouble if found in the fuel tanks.:roll:

Mine were terrible too from the bottom to 2 inches up, in fact some parts you could take an ice pick and punch through it. What I did was to remove the tank and strap it to the rear tire of my farm tractor with bungee cords. I took a handfull of gravel from the road and put it in the tank then added a half gallon of muratic acid and drove around a bit. The gravel will have regular rocks and also those tiny little rocks, broken flakes, and sand. Great stuff for cleaning all of nooks and crannies out and the muratic acid will take care of all of the rest of the rust. As the mix sloshes around in there it knocks and scrapes all of the crap out of the tank. Took about 15 minutes to make the inside of my tank look bright. After its clean rinsie it out with water and dry then follow up with some fuel tank sealer. Good as new:D

duncan

I know that trick, all I need now is something with wheels big enough to strap them to, and somewhere to drive it. Hmmm. I wonder if I could put the tank on of the wheels from the tatra itself. :twisted:

EZFEED

That would actually work, just do one at a time. :)

You know what else does a good job too? Electrolysis.
I think we have several topics covering this on this forum. Do a search for "electrolysis" and you should find them. Also below is a link describing the process, all you need is a battery charger and a non conductive container to hold the electrolyte. My first unit was in a trash can, next was a plastic drum. I now have a large square tote tank and can put whole engine blocks in now.
Electrolysis Cleaning Method

Now here's the deal. I reccomend using the Lye to make your electrolyte and use stainless electrodes. I've found that it really cleans more aggressivley with the Lye. I was doing an engine block for one of my tractors one day and used a steel rod will a perforated rubber sleeve to get inside the water jacket to de-scale it. When I did this I discovered a new way to clean fuel tanks.
On the Farmall tractors I have the tanks are exposed and are part of the styling lines of the tractor. This one was very scaled up and the rocks were not taking all of the scale out so I turned the tank into a little electrolysis tank. I filled it up with electrolyte and made a big L shaped electrode out of re-bar and hung it in the tank being careful it did not touch. The sucker came out exceptionally clean!

Rocks and muratic acid work great and will ensure there are no hidden thin spots that may get overlooked and not fiberglassed over. If there are allot of creases that the rocks and sand cant get out then this is the ticket. :)

Capt.Marion

Hey EZ- When you did your Farmall gas tank, did you connect one lead to the electrode, and the other lead to the gas tank itself?

My M37 tank needs serious help, and this may be the way to go.

EZFEED

Hey EZ- When you did your Farmall gas tank, did you connect one lead to the electrode, and the other lead to the gas tank itself?

My M37 tank needs serious help, and this may be the way to go.
Thats what I did and you fill it to the brim, some will bubble out but its no biggie.

EZFEED

OK, this is kicking my butt so maybe someone can help me find something that will work. I need a new set of dust boots for my brake actuators. I have looked and looked but it seems that no one has replacment boots....even overseas. I thought that maybe the Kolos boots would work but no one over there could either confirm or deny it and the morons wouldn't give me measurments either...i was free to buy one and try it though:evil:

I need six of these accordian looking boots that you see around the little cylinder....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/My%20vehicles/Picture090.jpg

I was thinking of using a boot from a shock absorber or something then maybe glue a cap on the end or something but I dont know if that'll work. Doubt it would hold up though.
The boot is open on one end and closed on the other with a little hole through it for the shaft to stick though.

Have any of you guys seen something like this or something that could work?????:?:

duncan

Guessing its open at both sides but retained on the main cylinder body with that cap on the bottom?
Either way, see if you can take it off or at least get the cylinder shaft diameter. Then go to a truck parts supplier, they might be able to help. In the mean time, Ill make a picture of the boots on my kolos.

EZFEED

I do appreciate it Duncan. Please....if you could...measure the diameter of the top opening and the bottom opening. I want to say that these actuators are all the same for Tatra and Praga military products.
These are standard Praga PV3S axles but the engine, drivetrain, air system, etc are all Tatra and as far as I can tell allot of the parts are the same throughout all models just as most mass produced vehicles use the same parts for different models.

The boots are just plain rubber/pvc boots molded with one end open and the other end closed except for the little hole in which the rod protrudes.

duncan

Those prices, times 6, wont make you a happy kid though :roll: Also, Ezfeed, I saw you posted in cranetruck's XM topic that you found some boots already. That was a few years ago though, iirc. Did that source disappear or did you forget about it? Dont worry, Im still going to check my tatra boots!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks