• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tennessee Adventure About to Begin

mangus580

devilman96 said:
Left Matts at 12. . . in ocala now. . . my rear main is showering the world with oil but were still cooking.

oh yeah . . Ken has the 09 in tow and we now have a 105 in my bed he . . . he . . he
That problem seems to gravitate to you huh?

rofl

devilman96

well we made it bout 430 . . lost my clutch in the last 40 miles. . . kenny says were havin a rear main seal rehab clinic at the rally. .

now we get to car it down home . . another 220 miles.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm home, I'm filthy, I'm hungry and I'm tired. Since 0500 Friday, I've had one 4 hr nap and one 1 hr nap, neither of which I could actually get to sleep. My truck is a little rough around the edges but runs like a scalded dog. I'll post some vids tomorrow showing the needles beyond pegged, 65 on the laptop GPS and Mikes 09 hanging on for dear life behind it! I know you will all complain about not posting pics so here is one of me cruising down I24 at breakneck speed (49 so Mike could keep up). Thanks for all the well wishes and goodnight!

Attachments

LOL... i think Mike has been trying to play catch up the whole time... You just would leave him in the dust....

you wont know what to do or not want to get up when you get a shower and a real night sleep.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
glad to hear you guys finally made it there, or close. Long but memorable trip. :lol:

Capt.Marion

Glad y'all made it home OK. Good luck with the trans. problem, but with the rally next weekend, all of the knowledge and all of the slave labor (OK, helping hands) you should have her fixed right up!

devilman96

What a weekend... Now that I am in front of a puter rather than typing on a phone while trying to draft Kenny and keep up...

We ended up yanking the fuel stops on both trucks, mine was being a dog and holding up the world. I cranked the fuel over 2 turns, tightened the throttle linkage and then slightly adjusted the stops... later I just removed the stops... Even with all of that I couldn't keep up with Kenny, I think the poor IP was just so leaned out that it still needs to be tweaked some. Ether way we were holding 58-60 + which FAR exceeded the beginning of 48mph.

Corrections to the above posts... The 105 is mine... We picked that up from Matt's place, he was going to bring it to the Fl rally but hey... we were there already.

Kenny pulled the 09 all of the way back... and could still pass me like I was standing still at 60 mph.

Kenny drank bottled water... Prolly the most amazing event of the trip. (He thinks he's allergic to water)

I have the worlds worse case of monkey butt!

Peeing in a bottle while driving a deuce is not only a challenge but something they should add to the Olympic games.

Darrell... thank you for picking us up and dragging our sorry butts half across the state and back... on a side note... I WILL NEVER get into a car with you again!!!... EVER... :shock: I don't think ether of us have EVER been so car sick in our lives... :drool: Had it not been for the wrong turn we would have made really good time though which was what mattered!!!!

To the state of TN... Your roads need to be FLATTENED AND STRAIGHTENED!!! *shudder*

Andy... Sorry for the late hour but thanks for the understanding and help in the past few months.

Jim... We made it on all 4 tires!!! Thanks for the running around, chasing a spare, the pizza, the temporary quarters and bottle jack!

Yep I have a thing for deuce rear mains and clutches... anyone cares to correct the problem my tool bag will be at the rally as will the parts... Otherwise its going to be a few weeks before I can stomach the job. The deuce isn't for me but for my father, I think he's pretty darn tickled even if he cant yet drive it more than around the property.

The CUCV from Jim... hummm carpet and power seats? AC? Stretch it into a 6X6 to off set my karma of bobbing my first deuce? Who knows yet...

Mangus... you will be tarred and feathered at the event next weekend!!!

What a great hobby... What else could send you scouring half across the US with help and support at every turn!!! Never try it without SS at your finger tips!!

More later... im gonna go pass out!

devilman96 said:
Darrell... thank you for picking us up and dragging our sorry butts half across the state and back... on a side note... I WILL NEVER get into a car with you again!!!... EVER... :shock: I don't think ether of us have EVER been so car sick in our lives... :drool: Had it not been for the wrong turn we would have made really good time though which was what mattered!!!!
rofl man i said when i left the airport i hope you dont mind but i cant drive slow... I had no intentions of making you guys car sick.... i coulda slowed down... but you said you didnt mind lol... till it was to late and you guys were :oops: :oops: ..... sorry for making you car sick. really i am.. :?

But you know if you ever need something ill be right there again...

Kenny i need that GPS thing you got :lol:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tennessee Adventure, MIke and Ken's Excellent Adventure or 48 Hrs MV style, whatever you want to call it, here's a brief synopsis.

I got to the airport first with my 2 bags and one carry on. I prepared myself to keep the bags under 70#, they need them under 50# unless I'm a Medallion member (whatever). So I start stripping and removing tools, swapping some stuff to my carryon bag totry to comply. Nice that they have a scale curbside. So a few minutes o by and Mike shows up with his carry on bag and 2 bags to check. The bigger bag looks to weigh about 100# and infact weighs 20, the other looks to weigh about 20 and feels like 150#. So we spend the next 10 minutes moving crap from one baf to the other until we reach a happy medium, hopefully. We take our bags inside, start checking them and chatting back and forth and by the time it was all over, we had them so discombobulated, they didn't even look at the scales. As we were headed for the concourse I swear Mike was humming the Skynard song "Give me back my Bullets". Ah, California Pizza Kitchen, we're both hungry, what would fit the bill better than a $10 personal pizza! So as we're enjoyin a bite, Mike looks up and says, plane leaves in 15, maybe we should head for security. Now the rush is on! Of course Mike speeds right through security and I get stuck because my 15 shampoo bottles ( less than 3 OZ) aren't in a quart size ziplock. Mike was holdin the jetway door open so they wouldn't lock me out of the plane. Haha, we were pushing back before I got my seat. Both legs of the flight were uneventfull but I ha e to say, $7.95 for wifi access at Atlanta Hartsfield was too rich for my blood. We arrived at Nashville, collected up my broken luggage and headed outside to find Darrell. My worst nightmare had just unfolded in front of me. Darrell brought his Ranger extended cab pickup that has no back seats. Over 100 miles sitting on one of Mikes $200 gell call batteries does wonders for an arse besides the fact I have to side crooked because theres only about 15" back there. I was surviving until I got us lost in the middle of nowhere and the truck on fumes. All in all, cost os about 45 minutes and we had to drive the opposite direction for gas then go back. Luckily had the laptop and GPS antenna with me. Then the real problem hit, I was staring at the laptop too long and got car sick. Sweating my arse off in the 30 degree weather trying no to hurl. Alass we make it to Andy's house! Whew!

Met up with Andy, spoke for a few minutes and started the once over on the trucks. Had to put a headlight in mine, a headlight switch and one headlight in Mikes, fuel filter in Mikes and got them both lit up! Looked around at some of Andy's treasures including his M108 and R2 crash truck then hit the road. The way out sure was faster than the way we went in.
We stopped at a as station at I40. Filled up the trucks (mine took 8 gallons) and Mike went right to the fuel screw on his truck. He could only run about 45MPH. Got them ready, grabbed a snack and hit the road. Darrel hung with us for about 2 minutes then sped away, he had done his good deed and knew we could handle it. We head on down the road aways and I start swaying from lane to lane, musta been the break neck speed of 48 MPH. We pulled off at a rest area and I put on an extra layer of clothes, it was a little chilly. Mike fesses up a can of Red Bull and I choked that down. Another adjustment to Mikes truck, this time the throttle linkage! Once done we try it again. On the way out Mikes points out a suspicious vehicle but we roll on. Made it to Nashville by first light. It's now been nearly 12 hours since we left FL ona plane. Headed to I-24 and started trek to Chattanooga. Up and down the mountains we go at 48 MPH. We pickup up good speed going down the 6% grade of Monteagle. We stopped just outside of Chattanooga for breakfast at Waffle House (our last sit down meal of the trip). As we exited the truck I think the light came on in both our heads at the same time, THROTTLE STOP!. The sealed cover isn't there on Mikes truck and you can see the area where they have been hitting the stop, BINGO! Mike adjusts it and off we go. 57 MPH is not a problem any more. We're off to GA. Now were cooking and making good time. Stopped off at the 326MM in GA for fuel, grabbe snacks, removed the stop completely and we were off headed for Rockmart GA to meet with Jim Henderson. Mikes truck is now running along at 59 no problem. Every so often I speed up to 65 just because I can! We hit route 53 and head south. Jim had left earlier headed north and when he saw us, he made a U-turn and led us into his place. Just want to say thanks Jim for opening your house to us feeding us before we left. Mike and Jim work out a deal on the M1009 and we prep it for the ride home. Once we got everything hooked up we crashed from around 5P to about 9P. I laid still and rested but just couldn't get to sleep. Up at 9 to piping hot pizza and gatorade compliments of Jim. We ate, talked looked around a bit and then we were off! The ride down 278 was uneventful. I was towing the M1009 and it made it's presence known. Data plate says 5200 GVW and 6400 GVWR, are they that heavy? Took me a little longer to hit 65 with the 09 on back. Anyway, we're rolling along just fine south of Atlanta somewhere and Mike starts flashing the brights! We go up to the next ramp and stop. Mike says his show is dripping diesel fuel. We move over to a gas station and have a look. One of the nylon lines going from the density compensator has split and fuel is spraying out like crazy! CRAP! Mike pulls out his tool bag and we remove the line. Mike reaches into the bag and pulls out a compression fitting and we make a quick roadside repair. I'll let Mike tell you why he had that fitting! Top off the trucks and dead to the road again! The hills are getting smaller as we head south and we are cruising right about 60 MPH. Made FL at first light and headed south about an hour and headed to Matts place in BF Florida. Matt was just headed to the flea market to peddle his wares but opened his doors and let us camp there and rummage through his piles of deuce parts. We grabbed an hour of shuteye and then went rummaging. Took some pics I'll post later in the FL parts thead. (Anyone need M101A2 axles?). Mike bought the M105 from Matt but it didn't have bearings in the one hub so we loaded it into the back of Mikes truck with Matts Frankenstein 5 ton wrecker. Alas we were off again headed to Clermont where we are dropping the trucks. Stopped just north of Ocala for one last fuel stop before the turnpike. During the stop I found the rear main leak on Mikes truck. (Cursed rear mains). We fill up and get ready! While Mike is using the head, I installed my troopseats I got at Matts place. Mike comes back out an says,"At least the clutch isn't slipping". He spoke too soon! Once on the turnpike I notice he isn't keeping up anymore. We were only a few miles from the exit and made it there no problem. I offered to tow the deuce and he could drive the 09 but he declined and limped it in. We got to Mike's dads place about 15 minutes before Mikes girlfriend arrived (our ride home). Parked the trucks, got organized, shot the BS for a spell then off to home. Mike got us home in record time I might add.
Mike, thanks a ton for all that you did! It was a pretty demanding 48 hours but I really did have a blast. For everyone else, I would recommend you do this at least one time in your life! Pics to follow!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks