• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Terminus M1009

cucvrus

DSCF3390.jpgI wanted to show the spare tire hold downs but I installed them quickly and the Hi lift jack is bolted to the OEM bolt hole on the right inner fender well. It has a 1/2" bolt and would share the same 3/4" socket tat the lug nuts do. I used 2 of the M1009 spinner spare tire nuts and have both spares bolted to the floor of Terminus M1009. The only thing that is out of place is the Blue Point tool box. I had that strapped to the Hi lift but removed the muddy Bubba Rope to clean it and removed the tool kit also. I am still thinking roof rack with box and ladder. Maybe. Maybe NOT. I will keep working at it.

cucvrus

Those braces are an interesting edition. Can I ask the theory behind those?
Theory= an idea used to account for a situation or justify a course of action:

My idea was that I had seen and had one M1009 that would change the gate opening size during severe off road use. Hard flexing of the body and bumps and jars have caused a few M1009/K5 Blazers to flex and the gate become lodged in the opening and require jacking and pulling to get the gate opening back in alignment. Being that this is a 34 year old vehicle the strength is not up to a newer vehicle in the structural integrity. The rear threshold was a bit rusty. I removed the rear body to frame bolts and I cut a piece of 1/4" steel tread plate to fit the rear threshold area. I wanted to use something that might last a while. I welded steel angle in the rear behind the rear bed posts and bolted the angle to the rear corner posts accessing the nuts from the tail lamp holes. I ran longer carriage bolts down thru the tread plate into the body mounts and thru the frame. I replaced the body mounts with new ones from Energy Suspension. I added the angled braces to give support to the sides and keep the gate opening in check. The larger ones were all that was needed. The smaller ones were added for aesthetics only and the fact that I had them in my stash of parts. They also make a nice place to stow gear and keep it from falling out when the gate is open. I am sure the braces will be there as long as I own the truck. I am NOT a huge fan of the M1009 rear gate and storage area. You can not reach anything you store in the back without climbing in. But be that as it may. I worked with it and short of a latch popping open on a rock pile the gate and braces have been tried and tested. Last weeks off roading in Ohio made Rausch Creek look like Kindergarten. Other then the MUD covering everything is operational. Have a great week.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Today was a very HOT day. I spent it outside in the bush weed whacking the tree line for about 5 hours straight. I was sweat soaked and dirty so I thought why not. I will wash Terminus m1009. I wanted to wash the engine compartment for Tinstar. since he never came and took it to wash it. I also crawled under it and washed the entire undercarriage. It still looks good under there. the paint held up well. The dirtiest part of the entire truck was the radiator. It was packed with sandy mud and dirt from several 4WD off road adventures ago. It is clean for now. Everything will need to be maintained again and all the fluids checked. It is always tie for an oil change. I change the oil every time I come back from wheeling.DSCF3397.jpgDSCF3398.jpgThat radiator is a bit clogged. it never ran hot. DSCF3399.jpgDSCF3400.jpgDSCF3401.jpgDSCF3402.jpgDSCF3403.jpgDSCF3404.jpgI think the old engine compartment looks pretty good on Terminus. Not all hacked up like I see most of them. I pressure washed it for about 3 hours. The 3K psi will cut skin. I hit my finger tip and it took the skin off. Ouch. Lesson learned. i had the short pistol wand on and that was the first time I ever used it. It does a great job but the yellow tip is not something you want to put your hand in front of to wash mud off. I'll survive. It also does a poor job on the inside. I will do that with a regular hose and a scrub brush. I was rained out again. Did not matter much I was covered in mud and water. Along with a lot of weed and brush particles. Dirty work if fun at times. Have a great day. this is my 2 week old paint ob. I have some road rash on it a few places from using it in the fields today. Never hurt it.

cucvrus

Terminus M1009 is all cleaned up and no where to go.

DSCF3405.jpgDSCF3406.jpgDSCF3407.jpgDSCF3408.jpgIMHO it still looks good and runs and operates great. The alternator lights are on dim when I turn the key on and stay dim the entire time. It is still charging in the green. Can't explain it. But I will change out the alternators and the starter before my next off road adventure. The starter just because of all the silt mud I was in. And it did a click only 2 times while I was driving it the past few days in the field. Imagine that I washed Terminus M1009 and now it is pouring down rain on it. That's like the final rinse cycle. And I had a funny happen. I was out wheeling last week and the washer did not work. Today I discovered why. I never un taped the nozzles on the cowl screen. That's OK I have a bad wiper motor now. It was just tired and worked on one speed. Phone just beeped. Flash Floods in the area till 2130 tonight. JOY. Have a great day.

cucvrus

DSCF3416.jpgDSCF3417.jpgThis is the Dana 60 we removed from my Son's truck. It had a bolt in the locker break off the head and get forced thru the bottom of the housing. It was lodged between the ring gear and the housing. Slight leak but still had oil in it. We are taking it to get a patch welded on the bottom of the housing. It will be like a new rear when it is completed. Good the bolt head did not get in the gears. that would have been more costly. Terminus M1009 is a model now. I use it to research my work while I am reassembling my M1008 project truck. Very handy for proper factory wire routing. Have a great day. DSCF3414.jpg

cucvrus

DSCF3427.jpgDSCF3426.jpgThis is how the idiot lights look in Terminus M1009. It no longer charges. The taping on the alternators trick has expired. When I did while the engine was running it was like a sand blaster coming out from under the hood. I thought the belts came off when I revved the engine. I suppose all the sand in the radiator was drawn back over the engine by the fan. All is well. I will get to it soon. The starter needs to come off also. It has an infliction. It clicked 8 times today on the first start up. It started every time after that. Still fun all in all. I look forward to another off road trip to Rausch creek. Anyone else interested??DSCF3428.jpgDSCF3429.jpgMad Cow Disease is out grazing by the wood pile. Need to get working on the Dana 60. Seems like an easy fix if I can get a patch welded on the bottom of the housing. Have a great day. My friend that was supposed to go seen me and is very sad. He missed out on the fun. Somehow the simple Terminus M1009 with the cooperate 10 bolts held up better then the big Dana 60. I traveled thru 75% of the stuff the big trucks went thru. I was shy of deep water But all in all the extra deep mud was avoidable. I had a blast and never sat with out a vehicle to drive. Terminus M1009 came thru every time. Many people had never seen a military M1009 K5 Blazer close up. Many misinformed people out there.

cucvrus

DSCF3430.jpgGood Morning Terminus M1009. DSCF3431.jpgVery clean under the hood but no charging. Wonder why?DSCF3432.jpgBattery clamp puller. Very handy tool. You should have one if you don't get one. DSCF3433.jpgVery handy. DSCF3434.jpg DSCF3438.jpgDSCF3440.jpgDSCF3437.jpgDSCF3436.jpgDSCF3435.jpgI think I found the problem. NOT my job to fix it. I think this still has the original alternators on it. Both Delco Remy. I split one just to look. That was a clean work bench. I get the point as to why it's not charging. This has been in mud at least 6 times since I had it. It is less expensive then a few other hobbies I have. New ones will be on today. Maybe. Have a great day.

cucvrus

Someone once told me it was only flat on the bottom. Terminus M1009 made a liar out of them. Keep in mind I was up at 0400 and outside by 0600. It was a cool 68 degrees and i was a working man. DSCF3441.jpgDSCF3442.jpgThe sandy mud is in everything. Have a great day. More progress coming.

cucvrus

DSCF3444.jpgDSCF3445.jpgDSCF3446.jpgDSCF3447.jpgDSCF3448.jpgDSCF3449.jpgDSCF3450.jpgDSCF3451.jpgDSCF3452.jpgDSCF3453.jpgI pulled out a pair of rebuilt alternators with the solid pulleys. Installed them and the idiot light shown bright again. Started the engine after 10 clicks. Off with the starter.

cucvrus

DSCF3454.jpgDSCF3455.jpgDSCF3456.jpgDSCF3457.jpgDSCF3458.jpgDSCF3459.jpgDSCF3460.jpgDSCF3461.jpgDSCF3462.jpgDSCF3463.jpgWith the alternators charging again as designed it was time to change the starter. It had done the click thing 1 time before Ohio. Now it is doing it all the time. You can see the cross member served it's intended purpose. I seen a few marks of blue paint on rocks. I had to wear googles to work under the truck. The starter was still looking good and had mud inside the nose. I blew out the bottom flywheel cover and the small hole in the bottom was open. I think all is well. It is oil free underneath. I have more work.

cucvrus

DSCF3464.jpgDSCF3465.jpgDSCF3466.jpgDSCF3467.jpgDSCF3468.jpgDSCF3469.jpgDSCF3470.jpgDSCF3471.jpgDSCF3472.jpgDSCF3473.jpgNew starter cleaned the entire area and mounting surface. Cleaned the wireing and cable connections. Applied dielectric grease and installed the starter. Moving right along.

cucvrus

DSCF3476.jpgDSCF3474.jpgI removed the front drive shaft and greased the 3 U joints the slip joint and the CV joint. Reinstalled the driveshaft and fired it up. no-dogs-forbidden-prohibited-dogs-signNo Dog Head.pngDSCF3475.jpgNo hacked up starter relay. Just the small cube relay plugged in to the stock connection and tucked up and wire tied under the dash. Tested tough all over and I have NOT had a failure. I think Terminus M1009 is a good test vehicle. if failure was to happen it would have. Have a great day. I have more work to do. not much CUCV related. If I do more of course I will post.

cucvrus

Fall 2017 Rausch Creek Off Road Park

I posted an off road trip in the upcoming events if anyone wants to attend. IF NOT well. OK that's fine too. Good times to be had by all. Still working on a date. Like to make it a weekend. But I don't sleep over so that puts me out. I am a 1 day (Saturday) and done guy. Have a great day hope to see some new iron or tin up there.

cucvrus

Getting Terminus M1009 ready for October 21, 2017. Not much to get ready. Change the oil and grease it. Been sitting since July 15, 2017. That was Trucks Gone Wild. Yankee Lake Ohio. Hope you can make it. Or not. A day of fun in the sun. I wish. Maybe. Either way rain or shine. I did fire it up a week ago for a prospective buyer. He opted for the Mule M1009. Still a good running M1009 Terminus is. easy on the budget and a clean title. Free test drives and ride Saturday October 21,

cucvrus

DSCF3795.jpgTime to awaken Terminus M1009. Rest time is over. July Terminus.jpgDSCF3800.jpgToday's mileage. Terminus.jpgSo in reality Terminus M1009 has worn out a set of rear brakes in less then 20 miles. I would never believe it if I didn't see it for myself. DSCF3798.jpgWarranted for life. I never knew it was possible. Saturday is coming. New Brakes are in order.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Time to awaken Terminus M1009. Rest time is over. Today's mileage. So in reality Terminus M1009 has worn out a set of rear brakes in less then 20 miles. I would never believe it if I didn't see it for myself. Warranted for life. I never knew it was possible. Saturday is coming. New Brakes are in order.
In San Francisco, maybe, but in Jonestown PA?

A1.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks