• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Terminus M1009

cucvrus

DSCF3265.jpgBleed the brakes today on Terminus M1009. It was raining but I wanted to get something completed. New brake system all the way around again. I will maintain it better next time. Maybe.

cucvrus

DSCF3298.jpgDSCF3296.jpgDSCF3297.jpgI started out early this AM with my Yeti full of coffee and a mind to get old Terminus M1009 cleaned up and ready for an adventure. It is a beautiful day. I must get cracking. Oh yea. I also bought a rear glass at the YOUPULLIT. I have a brand new one and a 1990 factory dot matrix tinted one. You ever see one of them? dot matrix.jpg

cucvrus

Terminus M1009 make over

DSCF3298.jpgDSCF3299.jpgDSCF3300.jpgDSCF3301.jpgDSCF3302.jpgDSCF3303.jpgDSCF3304.jpgDSCF3305.jpgToday was a very good day. It was not terrible hot out and I had all the grass mowed and the work was just going real easy. i cleaned all the broken rear window glass out of the interior, gate and the window tracks. I installed a replacement glass and lubed everything really well. Then it was done by 11AM. I had a whole day to get something done. I know I said I was going to do an 8 hour paint job in the past. Today was the day. I unrolled the air hose and got out the DA sander. I sanded the entire truck down with 80 grit and then went over the whole truck with 180 grit.

cucvrus

DSCF3306.jpgSanding is a very long out boring job. After it was all sanded I took a scuff pad and went around the entire truck and scuffed all the edges and looked for peeling paint and rough edges. My Son helped me and a neighbor. We had the truck sanded and taped up by about 4PM. I mixed up the sealer and sealed the entire truck. DSCF3307.jpgDSCF3308.jpgDSCF3309.jpgDSCF3310.jpgDSCF3311.jpgGray was not the color I was looking for. But it did do a good job of sealing and prepping the surface for a top coat. I added accelerator to the sealer and it was ready to top coat in about 1/2 hour. Went for a ride and came back. Paint time.

cucvrus

DSCF3314.jpgDSCF3313.jpgThis was a challenge. It was a field repaint done outside in the open air on a vehicle that was pressure washed sanded, sealed and ready to paint at the same spot it has been sitting for 2 months. Waterborne CARC 686 TAN. Expired outdated paint. I used a squirrel cage rotary spinner on my cordless drill to get the paint mixed. Stirred and mixed outside in the stone driveway. That was all part of the challenge. Get a good paint job outside under the shade of a tree. We trimmed 2 limbs from the tree that were close and made access to the roof difficult. DSCF3315.jpgDSCF3316.jpgDSCF3317.jpgDSCF3318.jpgDSCF3319.jpgDSCF3320.jpgDSCF3321.jpgAfter 3 good coats of paint it was left sit for about and hour. i went for another ride and came back and could hardly wait to un tape it. It was less then 8 hours ago that the truck was sitting there with the brushed/rolled horrible green paint that was on it. Now it looks just fine. I am happy with the field paint job. It went from trash to class in 8 hours. I can replace the rocker panels if I wanted to. But at this point I don't want to.
http://www.trucksgonewild.com/portfolio/july-14-15-2017-yankee-lake-truck-night-brookfield-oh/

This is my adventure that I have planned for next weekend. Hope some of you guys are going. While it was being sanded I was on the underside filling the transfer case, greasing the front end and just going over everything the second and third time. Like I said. I never done anything to this M1009 that could not be reversed. This is a completely restore-able vehicle. The floors and drive line are still intact 100%. I am taking the title with me. Thanks for looking. I knew we could do the paint job. IMHO it came out fantastic. It is just that a field repaint. It dried awesome outside in the shade.

cucvrus

DSCF3320.jpgAfter looking at the pictures. I want to paint the silver rear side glass trim flat black. I also want to add some lettering and stencil a few things on the Terminus M1009. I will be towing it on my trailer next Friday. I want to be in OHIO by lunch time. I think I have some ideas for painting some marking on Terminus M1009. I am still out in deep thought about tires. Should I use MTR's or I have 4 235/75 R15 M & S tires that are 90% tread. I think I might like the narrow look. Decisions, decisions????DSCF2945.jpgThis is before the transformation. No photo shop here.

cucvrus

Am I reading all that correctly, cucvrus:

- You did all of that -sand, sealer coat, and finish coat- in one day?
That is correct. And I am back to work at my regular job today again. It was a group effort. 1 guy DA sanding, 1 guy edge sanding, another guy blowing off and taping up, I was on the underside doing fluid fills and double triple checking everything. I thank my Family and Friends for all the help. It came out great and has excellent adhesion. I looked at it this AM and it looked great. Morning dew was on it and it appeared shiny. But it was dry and flat on the down sides.

Another Ahab

Am I reading all that correctly, cucvrus:

- You did all of that -sand, sealer coat, and finish coat- in one day?
That is correct. And I am back to work at my regular job today again. It was a group effort. 1 guy DA sanding, 1 guy edge sanding, another guy blowing off and taping up, I was on the underside doing fluid fills and double triple checking everything.

abc.jpg

Mg84648

That is correct. And I am back to work at my regular job today again. It was a group effort. 1 guy DA sanding, 1 guy edge sanding, another guy blowing off and taping up, I was on the underside doing fluid fills and double triple checking everything. I thank my Family and Friends for all the help. It came out great and has excellent adhesion. I looked at it this AM and it looked great. Morning dew was on it and it appeared shiny. But it was dry and flat on the down sides.
Man, I wish I had your energy brother. That rig looks awesome!

cucvrus

I did this a little bass ackwards but I want to paint the very rear cargo area of Terminus M1009. If you look back in the beginning of this build. This M1009 was a test dummy vehicle. I wanted to see if I was going to enjoy wheeling it. Well I like it so now I want to make it nice and sell it before I fall in love with it. I have another project in mind with another M1009 I have in the shed. That will be another episode and season. Thanks for the reviews and compliments. I have this energy because I was always hyper and needed things to do. Now as an adult I have lots to do and not enough time to do it most days. Ever get that feeling? Many things hold me back. Job, lawn mowing, property maintenance and family. All are good things but hold me from my fun work. I am always busy. Like a one legged man in an ash kicking contest. Have a great day. More on tap tonight.

cucvrus

DSCF3322.jpgDSCF3323.jpgI added a few lights to the B/O circuit. The blue light is a safety light. It is on whenever the key is on. The amber LED lights are clearance lamps. I did not make it around back to work on the rear B/O lamps. maybe tomorrow. I messed with the inoperable horn and got frustrated and quit for the night.DSCF3324.jpgI picked up 4 LT23575R15 snow tires. They are a bit shorter then the 31X10.5 15 tires. I think I will give them a try. I have standard narrow stock wheels from my 1987 4X4 pickup. Anyone know any down fall to this tire size? Other then the 1.5 inches lower to the ground? have a great day. My other option is to take the tires and wheels off of Crown off Thorns for the weekend. Still thinking.

cucvrus

DSCF3322.jpgDSCF3325.jpgI painted the 4 wheels twice. Flat black the first time and did not like the look. So I mixed up a batch of 686 TAN CARC and went wild. I mixed to much and just kept scuffing cleaning and painting. DSCF3326.jpgDSCF3327.jpgDSCF3328.jpgI worked my way out the back door and the threshold and interior of the gate. DSCF3329.jpgPanted and installed the front D rings. DSCF3330.jpgPainted the new cotter pin and tether for the pintle hook. I installed a pair of red LED clearance lamps in the rear bumper B/O holes. Painted all 4 of the new bolts on the B/O lamp brackets I made. DSCF3331.jpgDSCF3332.jpgDSCF3333.jpgPainted the wiper arms installed them with new blades and painted a new trailer plug cover and installed that so I did not have a hole in the hitch. I loaded 6 painted 15 " GM Narrow 6 lug wheels in the M1009 Mule with 5 LT23575R15 M & S tires and wheels and will get them mounted and balanced tomorrow. Moving right along. Good Night I work 0500-1530 M-F at a regular job. This is my hobby. I want to have Terminus M1009 in OHIO by noon on Friday. Have a great day. Anyone else going?

cucvrus

Too tired to write anything tonight. Just a few pictures with my narrow 15 1987 K10 wheels with LT23575R15 tires mounted on them. I like the look. It is different and unique. Getting ready for Trucks Gone Wild this weekend.DSCF3334.jpgDSCF3341.jpgDSCF3340.jpgDSCF3339.jpgDSCF3338.jpgDSCF3337.jpgDSCF3335.jpgI removed the console from the 1990 K5 blazer and put it in Terminus M1009. A nice cooler for ice and drinks this weekend. DSCF3336.jpgDSCF3342.jpgDSCF3343.jpgI also found the air intake muffler. That might work good for a water block on the air filter housing.
http://www.trucksgonewild.com/portfolio/july-14-15-2017-yankee-lake-truck-night-brookfield-oh/
Anybody else going?

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rick

That reminds me of my late father-in-law that use to get his 80s vintage Chevy diesel van painted at a local shop in Zephyr hills Florida. Usually on special for $99.99 for a two tone paint job. I went with him once to drop it off by 8 am and we went back to pick it up at noon. He would get it painted every year because the paint would start peeling around the trim. I personally pulled some painters tape they missed off some of the chrome once. Nice job by the way.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Want to go mudding this weekend?
I will have to pass on your offer. My wife will give you that same dirty look that the lady from church did, and she doesn't even go to church. Besides, my back and hips would not hold up to the damage that Terminus 1009 can dish out. I'll watch the excitement/horror that you will put Terminus through from the comfort of my home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks