• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Terminus M1009

Drock

I don't know your luck with duralast products, and while I can use most of the products from the Zone, the one I stay away from is the balljoints-I have yet to have one last for more then 3 months-course I stopped getting them after the third free replacement.

I do like the work you have been putting into this truck
Agree I haven't stepped foot in an Auto Zone in about 5yrs. There "life time warranty" parts are a scam. Sure they'll replace them, but what good is that if they fail shortly after installation. They're parts are notorious for problems. My last straw with them was with they're "Duralast" batteries going bad every winter, and them claiming the battery was "not bad". In the 5yrs sense I've spent well over $10000.00 on auto parts from anybody but them. 2cents

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lifetime warranty usually means you will spend a lifetime replacing them.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For some reason I can not post pictures. Maybe I am not allowed.
There's been a few people reporting that. But I have not been able to determine the cause. A few questions:

1. Are you using manage attachments or using the quick reply and adding pics?
2. How many pics are you trying to upload at a time?
3. What size are the pics?
4. What browser/OS are you using?
5. What is your internet connection and speed?
6. What are you seeing when you try?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Same old way I always post. And I see same old deleting my posts. I saw a few of my posts deleted. Nothing changed here on my end. Enough game playing. Thanks.
Well, kinda hard for me to know what they same old way is when I've never seen how you post. ;-)

As to the deleted posts, I know you've had a few problematic ones that the staff had deleted. As for my line of questions, there was no games being played. Was trying to help/sort out the issue also posted here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?148286-Uploading-pics-problem

cucvrus

All parts these days are about the same. I work for a large corporation and do a lot of parts buying. I don't buy batteries at Autozone. I mainly buy batteries from a battery company. I get alternators and starters rebuilt at a local builder and engines and transmissions I have the machine work done at a local machine shop. I do not have any issues with the replacement parts from any specific parts houses. When it came to a fuel pump on the 6.2 they were all wrong. I bought a pump from the GM dealer and wrote an email to Delphi because they had the wrong listing in the catalog at the time. That has since been corrected. Same as motor mounts the M1009 uses another year mount which we all know now but the guys at Autozone did not know. So my opinion is all parts are about the same these days. I bought genuine GM parts from the dealer for M1009 that were made in China. So it matters not what you think. But what ever works for the person that is doing the buying. I will stick with Autozone for some things and go to other places for other things. But my 1996 Ford CVPI never needed to buy brakes for it. They were warranted for life and I took advantage of it for 150K. I have ceramic brakes on my M1009 the Mule at this time. Never cut the rotors and they are smooth and drive as good as new with all Autozone parts on it. Happy Holidays and buy what you want and works for you. My camp we will continue to use Autozone. I never spent a life time replacing any parts here. I did it all up front once and done.

cucvrus

Twas the day after Christmas and all thru the land. Everyone is lazy and can give this man no hand. I have a lot of tasks to get done on Terminus M1009. I will start by getting the transmission/transfer case cross member back in. And see if the weather holds out.

Another Ahab

Twas the day after Christmas and all thru the land. Everyone is lazy and can give this man no hand. I have a lot of tasks to get done on Terminus M1009. I will start by getting the transmission/transfer case cross member back in. And see if the weather holds out.
I was liking the rhyming of your poetry, and then you lost me in the free verse; but that was good stuff. Thanks for that, and I hope your weather does hold out!

cucvrus

DSCF5956.jpgDSCF5957.jpgDSCF5958.jpgDSCF5959.jpgI had to do some repairs and reinforcement on the frame flange of Terminus M1009. I thought nothing that 3" X 4" X 1/4" steel angle and 2" X 1/4" Flat bar couldn't handle. No frame drilling required. I used existing holes. The frame flange was really bent. I assume I doine it off road. But then I remembered it was carried around by a loader at the salvage yard. DSCF5960.jpgDSCF5961.jpgDSCF5962.jpg

cucvrus

DSCF5962.jpgDSCF5963.jpgDSCF5964.jpgDSCF5962.jpgI used an old tool I had that was made to straighten frames and flanges on frame rails. DSCF5967.jpgDSCF5968.jpgDSCF5966.jpgDSCF5965.jpgDSCF5969.jpgWhen I set the old cross member along side the replacement I could see the big difference and how twisted it was. All the old 7/16" bolts are in the scrap bucket. I replaced all the bolts with new grade 8 1/2".

cucvrus

DSCF5979.jpgDSCF5980.jpgDSCF5981.jpgWhile I was looking at Terminus M1009 I noticed that the ground wire was broken off the fuel tank sending unit at the frame. Could this be the only issue with the fuel gauge? Sure enough. I drilled a new hole cleaned the frame and added a star washer and a self tapping torx 40 5/16" bolt and good as new. A spot of paint to keep it clean.

cucvrus

DSCF5991.jpgDSCF5988.jpgDSCF5983.jpgChances are if you want to have a clean fuel system and you never changed the lift pump change it. If it is an A/C pump it is the original one. I did not see A/C pumps since the 80's. It is your choice. I have a stone wall full of expelledDSCF5992.jpgDSCF5993.jpg pumps , master cylinders and brake calipers. All I replaced just as preventive maintenance. The brakes are the most important. Did you ever see the fluid that is in the calipers? Bad shape. I change it all and start over.

cucvrus

DSCF5996.jpgDSCF5998.jpgDSCF5997.jpgDSCF6002.jpgDSCF6003.jpgDSCF5997.jpgToday I was at the Terminus M1009 hard. I also changed the motor mounts. These are Energy Suspension motor mount inserts. they are $60. for the set but well worth it. I have put a couple dozen of these in vehicles so far. This is my new standard. Easy to do and be patient and you can do the motor mounts by yourself. I had to several times now so I learned a few tricks. the wood blocks and the bottle jack are some very useful things to have. Last thing I done today was pull the oil drain plug and removed the oil filter. This will let Terminus M1009 bleed out over night. I have a power steering pulley to replace tomorrow.

cpf240

Can you provide part numbers for the Energy Suspension mounts? Do they have one for the trans as well? I presume the bottle jack and wood blocks are to push out the original rubber insert, and to press in the new one?

cucvrus

No the bottle jack and blocks are to hold the transmission and transfer case up because I have the cross member removed for replacement and reinforcement. MOTOR MOUNT PN Energy Suspension. 3.11168 Autozone part number 353700. $29.99 each X 2. Worth the money. The transmission set is about $60. also at Autozone. I buy them there because of convenience and they give me a discount on a commercial account.

cucvrus

DSCF6004.jpgDSCF6005.jpgDSCF6006.jpgDSCF6007.jpgDSCF6008.jpgDSCF6009.jpgDSCF6011.jpgLook down in that mud hole a new Delphi fuel pump made in USA. Bought it at Autozone. It is the exact pump that I bought from the GM dealer. I did like the single pulley system on the power steering pump. Gen 1 did not like it as much. It ran like this for a couple weeks. Everything worked. Off Road in the field . Not at highway speed. I think I can weld the outer pulley back on. it looks like that was how GM done it. It had been grinding and slipping for a while. I gave it a good old oil change. nothing fancy just a GM Delco filter and some standard 15w40 engine oil. it lived this long on the standard grades of oil. It won't do nothing but cost more to put another grade of oil in it at this point in time. I did a lot of replacement parts this weekend and have a few more services to do before I wash it and park it for anther adventure. it is a shame this truck would be a nice running truck for someone. It has zero issues with the drive-ability running and starting and everything works and works well I might add. Just some body work and a few replacement panels. I know a guy in Connecticut that needs another project for the winter. Anyway take care. Tomorrow I want to drop the transmission pan service it and drain the transfer case and refill it.

cucvrus

DSCF6012.jpgDSCF6013.jpgToday I had the time in the rain to do some paint work. I sanded the front wheels from Terminus M1009 and painted them. Why because I could and it makes it look nicer when I get to painting the body. Heck at 50 degrees I can paint it and store it inside a few days to dry. Maybe I will just wait till spring.