• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Beast emerges

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Little by little, more gets done on the XM757. Worked on the fuel lines today.
Here are some views showing the front portion of the 8x8 truck before and now.

The "7" may seem low for an 8 ton vehicle (empty), perhaps it has something to do with load distribution over 4 axles...

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
C'dub said:
very nice work.........what type of Primer and Color are
you using......??
C'dub
Here is the rear end.
The primer is Rustoleum "Rusty metal primer" and the paint is Aervoe 997B (24084) semigloss OD. Since I only do a small part at a time the rattle can method is satisfactory. I figure, if applied according to all the rules of the art, a one-time top coat can be sprayed on at any time at a later date.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah Mike, I'm happily surprised at how consistent and hard the finish is. Aervoe does advertise the color as "new". Also, it is pretty near a perfect match with the original (1969).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, what is the green sticker on the drivers side windshield?( Btw, it is looking real nice!)

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lookin' good Bjorn! Are the air horns an add-on? It also looks like it might have a "city horn" tucked in by the passenger side headlight...
Hard to believe that is rattle can paint, it evened out really nice. [thumbzup]

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oldvw2 said:
Lookin' good Bjorn! Are the air horns an add-on? It also looks like it might have a "city horn" tucked in by the passenger side headlight... [thumbzup]
The airhorn came later as did the bumper mounted light clusters.
I put the lights back where they were designed to be, never liked the idea of bumper mounted lights. :)
Okay, so the bumper creates an un-illuminated area right in front or the truck, the lights really should have been mounted a bit higher for the winch option. Extra lights mounted below the bumper can handle that little problem.

I appreciate the feedback!

Attachments

Cdub

WoW......great results from a Spray Bomb...... [thumbzup] ....look'n real good...!!

I would just check the can instructions for any additional top coats
after dry time. It may require a lite scuffing before final coats are
later applied. I wouldn't risk the chance of any pealing because of
adhesion.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

C'dub

Adamlee

m757

that rig is coming along great, keep on rocking!

have you decided to wait for original size tires/wheels, or are you planning a compromise?

the vintage pics of the m757 in germany are neat.

adam

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: m757

Adamlee said:
have you decided to wait for original size tires/wheels, or are you planning a compromise?..adam
I can get originals, but they would only be good for short trips, any long trip would require newer alternate tires.

BTW, Adam I owe you a response to that biodiesel question, I haven't forgotten.

The oilpan gasket for the deuce should be here tomorrow, so any time after it arrives will be good to drop the pan and see what's going on. Guess I should get a set of plastigauges also....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks