• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Beast emerges

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, that thing is looking awesome, your doing an outstanding job! I don't think any of us are tired of your posts! I keep wanting to see more!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BFR said:
Bjorn, do you have any pics that show one swimming, or where the "water line" should be?
You know I do, Joel. :)

Thanks Adam!

PS. I never liked that image, because it doesn't look like its moving. I do have a video (Vintage Video) showing it moving in the water with a full load and that's about the right waterline. The cab cover should be off and the driver should have a lifepreserver. In this picture the windows are up as well, just doesn't look right...

Attachments

No.2Diesel

Am I tired of seeing your XM757....NO WAY!! [thumbzup] Witnessing its Re-birth is alot fun.

Not sure if this has been asked before but: What is the turning radius of the 757 and how does it compare to the conventional 5ton Tractor and Cargo? I'm pretty sure a Deuces turning radius is 37-38 feet.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No.2Diesel said:
Not sure if this has been asked before but: What is the turning radius of the 757 and how does it compare to the conventional 5ton Tractor and Cargo? I'm pretty sure a Deuces turning radius is 37-38 feet.
According to the dash 10, it's 41 ft 4 in.
The M52 has a turning radius of 38 ft 9 in
The M813 about the same at 40 ft 7 in.

Opie

Bjorn, I just checked (again) with the paint supplier and they are calling the manufacturer (again) about your OD gallons.
The 757 looks great!
The swimming pics look like a car parked next to my tent while I'm campting...it always rains!

M1.30-'06

Nice job on the resto. , its looking good. I may have missed it somewhere, but how much does a 757 weigh?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, That isn't as heavy as it looks, but the GVW is up there. How you gonna register it and will you need or do you already have a CDL?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CDL requirement starts at 26,001 lb, I don't need one to drive it empty, at least that's my understanding.

Yeah, the horsepower to weight ratio is very good, better than most MV's.

From the pershingmissile forum:

"..... A M54 Tractor Truck was used
to pull an EL on a field exercise with D 3/84th. in 1972. It wasn't
able to keep up with the XM757s very well."

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The platform/loading area behind the cab is all aluminum except for the bolted-on mounting brackets. No wonder these trucks get scrapped, several hundred bucks worth of aluminum in this piece alone. Rust on this vehicle is almost non-existent.

One reason I'm posting all this about the XM757/M656 is to make you guys more aware and perhaps next time you see one, it's recognized and it too can be saved. Not many were built and many if not most, remain in Europe.
Jim Henry in North Carolina kept threatening with the scrapper when I was checking for parts with him and that's pretty final. :cry:

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a supplier of the rattle cans, Attackopgear.com also in CA. Thing is they have a fixed $4.95 shipping charge on any of their products, not bad for a six-pack across the country via UPS Ground. :)

Opie has tried to get some gallon cans locally, but the shipping and hazmat charges are just hard to deal with.

Worked on the horn button today, which arrived from ACE. Thanks!
There is something definitely non-military about the horn button set-up with brass contacts, self tapping screws, the spring etc.
Got the button working and the horn, but the wiring needs work, the 3-lever switch is also tampered with, so there is no locking action.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Poured the first batch of fuel into the tank this morning. I'm testing the fuel system and the pump has been running for 45 minutes as I'm typing this. Only a couple of minor leaks (compression fittings) and the filters bled nicely.
8 gallons of diesel and 3/4 qt of canola oil.
One image shows the hand pump to be used for preoiling the engine. It still needs hose fittings. It is located behind the driver's seat and is operated by reaching back with my right hand. The ball valve may or may not be needed.

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! glad to see the hand pre-oiler. I like alot of manual controls, levers, etc.. I guess you have also put a check valve. It would be cool to see the looks on peoples faces trying to figure out what you are pumping up when you pump up the oil before starting.

I'm really glad to see the project coming along so nicely. You do real nice work. Any chance this will also be a crane truck? Or will it be for cargo, or for a restored truck not used much for work but for play?

I guess I had a vision of both trucks being used to build one of those cool log cabins I have seen on your website.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks