• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Beast emerges

Boatcarpenter

RE: Re: m757

Speaking of Plastigage, I realize that it is probably not the absolute best way to tell what is going on with bearings, but is it a reasonable way to at least get a good assessment of what is going on. It should let you know if you have reached the outer limits of wear or have one bearing that falls way out of line with the others. I've read that the best bearing gauge should have at least one round point of contact. Really necessary? How about dial calipers and take lots of readings to make sure that the gauge is perpendicular to the surface you are measuring. Or just a really accurate micrometer?
How about some tips for the mechanically inclined but not a true motorhead :?:
Thanks,
BC

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
super nice truck and many thanks for the pics. please keep them coming. we love to see as well as hear the progress.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's really amazing how it is coming along. It seems as though you could put some large tires on it, in lieu of the scarce originals. The wheels look pretty wide.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you been able to drive it yet? Is there any way you could post a vid of it moving under it's own power? It looks great!!!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ken said:
Have you been able to drive it yet? Is there any way you could post a vid of it moving under it's own power? It looks great!!!
I'm getting closer. Need to finish the fuel system, including mounting the non standard tank(s) and aligning the front axles. I'm replacing one of the front torque rods too, which had been torn up, possibly shifting the axle a hair.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worked a little on the front axles today. Removed a shock that had been dented and acted as a solid strut and aligned the axles. The torn torque rod was replaced a couple of days ago and all steering knuckle boots were removed yesterday, all torn, I'm just waiting for more Aervoe paint, which is backordered as usual, nobody keeps the 997B (24084) in stock.

Attachments

FSBruva

ken-

As I recall, Bjorn mentioned that by keeping it up on blocks, there was less temptation to "accept" it's current condition. I am sure it will be rolling around once it gets to the level that will not require it to go back up on blocks again.

Matt

BillIdaho

Pardon me, but I know where there is a bed for that, should you need one. It's at Idaho Motor Pool, in Fruitland Idaho. Alex says he might have a few parts laying around for it, too.
If you already have one, disregard this attempt to help out.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
bigbee said:
Bjorn, just curious- why'd you move the headlights back to the body? The in service pics you put up show them out on the winch bumper like yours were to start with.
Reason #1: The designers never intended them to be mounted on the bumper. The pods on the bumper was a later mod and probably because of the low original location causing a dark area just forward of the bumper when the winch was installed. A couple of extra lights below the bumper can cure that problem.
The xm757 (road tractor) was not able to swim, so the floatation chambers between the cab and bumper were not needed. Instead of leaving the aluminum plates in place, I opened up that area. The TMs show the lights on the body, never on the bumper.

Reason #2: I don't agree with lights mounted on or in a bumper, so there. :twisted:

The blackout light has been located in three other places besides the original. I have mounted it in the original place for now.

The bumper mounted light pods have holes punched for marker lights, but I have not seen any pictures with those lights installed. I installed them on the cab body instead plus a turn signal marker.

Bill, I wish I could collect all left overs from these trucks, just don't have the means at the moment. The cargo version is my favorite. Sent you a PM.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Posted one of the above images of the 757 on the pershingmissile forum and one of the responses was:

"wow !!!

This pic of the 757 sure takes me back to Gmuend and 71-73. I
wasn't in Germany a week before I walked into an open door of a 757
and got cold cocked. (Before another week went by a guy dropped a
wrench on my head and I was sure Germany was going to kill me, but
not in a proud kinda way.)
Later I made Buck Sgt/Platoon Leader and had my own 757. I
remember spending the night in the cab in frezzing weather and
waking up with cold blisters on my feet. I remember my co-drivers
too. SGT. B. Goode kept me calm the first time I got one of the ELs
fish-tailing down the Autobahn. But I got better and later taught
others to drive the El. There was the time I took a short-cut back
to the base and went careening down a hill scaring the shit out of
my young newbee, but I was a seasoned driver by then. There was the
Spec 4 (who shall remain nameless), who pissed his pants because I
couldn't find a place to pull over. The highlight though was driving
in black-out drive at Graf with the canopy off the cab and standing
up so I could see over the dust covered windshield. That really got
me hyped. Loved it...."

It's living history, like he said, Love It!

PS. EL stands for Erector Launcher (M790 trailer)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me know if you are getting tired of these posts...anyway, checked the toe-in and tracking of the four front wheels/axles and it all checks out within the 1/8 inch of measurement error at this time. Perhaps the good results have something to do with the fact that the vehicle came from a training battalion in Ft Sill and was used for instructional purposes.
The steering is as smooth as ever.

Better get those tires back off again, just seeing the truck like this makes me itch to drive it. :twisted:

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know. Truck was designed/built by Ford Motor Co. Only about 500 built and all in the late sixties.
It's not a cab over in the normal sense, the cab does not tilt. Engine access is as shown here and the cab is waterproof, all aluminum, welded, riveted and/or glued with waterproof feedthroughs for connectors. Door seals are pressurized on the swimming M656 version. Engine compartment gets flooded below waterproof hatch covers.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks