• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The M1031 with 5" lift, 12-bolt H1's and no spacers build!

tvguy

Another complication . . . I tried to install my JB Fabrication twin stick shifters and they won't work, at least not without some serious modifications. I'm guessing it has something to do with my oddball setup. JB Fab has been good about responding to my questions so hopefully we can come up with a solution.

tvguy

I decided, for now, that I'm going to put the stock 205 back in. If I want to swap the LoMax in later I'll swap the transmission at the same time.

So today I installed twin stick shift rails in the stock 205 and all new gaskets and seals. I'm going to paint it and try and get it back in sometime this week.

Last edited:

tvguy

I still haven't gotten the 205 back in. I'm going to have to do some cutting and welding on the twin sticks to make them work. JB Fab said they hadn't seen a shifter like mine before.

Attachments

culverjoe

Looks great so far! The brakes in the back: are those calipers off the front end of a 3/4 ton? If so, what kind of proportion valve set up are you going to use?

tvguy

Looks great so far! The brakes in the back: are those calipers off the front end of a 3/4 ton? If so, what kind of proportion valve set up are you going to use?
See post #37 on page 4.

I'm using the stock proportioning valve but removed to the load sensing valve. It's working fine.

tvguy

I got the transfer case back in despite the blistering heat this weekend (106 degrees yesterday). I cut the 1 1/2" off the shifters, turned them 90 degrees and tig welded them back on. I had to heat up the handles and bend them as well to make everything fit. When I went to crank the truck the batteries were dead so I'm gonna have to get new ones. I think I'm going to convert to Optima batteries though.

Attachments

culverjoe

Sorry, must have missed that when I read through. I was mainly wondering about the proportioning valve. I did a conversion on a first gen Cummins without replacing the proportioning valve and it worked fantastic! Pedel effort was cut in half and it would stop like nothing! ...until I warped the rear rotors because I was doing the majority of my braking with my rear. A proportion valve is a must if you plan on towing heavy loads

wayne pick

Nice clean fab work on the shifters. Tig welds? After folowing your build thread from the beginning, I just now noticed you have a fixed yoke on your 205. Refered back to when you had replaced the drive shaft, again a fixed yoke. I have a slip yoke on mine, same truck 86 M1031 NP205, strange.

tvguy

Nice clean fab work on the shifters. Tig welds? After folowing your build thread from the beginning, I just now noticed you have a fixed yoke on your 205. Refered back to when you had replaced the drive shaft, again a fixed yoke. I have a slip yoke on mine, same truck 86 M1031 NP205, strange.
Yes, I tig welded the shifters back together. The round handles were welded by JB Fab and those were mig welded.

Mine came with a slip yoke originally but I swapped it for a fixed yoke the first time I had the transmission and transfer case out.

tvguy

Probably been covered somewhere before - but what are the advantages of fixed yokes on our vehicles (wit relatively little lift and fairly stock wheel travel)?
On a stock vehicle probably not a huge deal, but on a wheeler let's say you broke your rear driveshaft and needed to remove it to get off the trail. With a slip yoke you couldn't because the gear oil in the transfer case would come out. With a fixed yoke the case id sealed so removing the shaft wouldn't be an issue. You can also get better travel with the slip yoke on the driveshaft rather than the transfer case.

tvguy

If I may I would suggest ODYSSEY Batteries. They are hands down better than Optimas. In fact the owners of Optima sold that comapny and started Odyssey.
ODYSSEY Batteries - Official Manufacturer's Site

If you have a Sears close by the Die Hard "PLATINUM" series are rebadged Odyssey's.
Go with Odssey instead - also AGM but better power density and low temp performnce.
Good advice and all things being equal I would have gone with the Odyssey's . . . BUT, I got a REALLY good deal on two yellow tops and I ordered a dual battery mount for them. I stuck them in tonight and she fired right up.

tvguy

The new shifter boot for the twin sticks was narrower than the stock boot. So, I made a filler panel for the stock trim ring and welded it in, then went on top of that with the new boot and stainless steel trim ring.

Attachments

Last edited:

tvguy

I'm going to use the stock rear battery tray as the "base" for the Optima dual battery mount. I had to trim the front lip and cut the tabs off the Ballistic battery box, then I welded it in (didn't get a chance to take pics after I welded it as it was getting too dark outside). I'll post some pics of the finished setup once it's installed.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks