• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The M1031 with 5" lift, 12-bolt H1's and no spacers build!

tvguy

Oh now I got ya...............BTW its a lomax
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner . . . it's a LoMax 205! If you're not familiar with the LoMax is has a 3:1 reduction ratio versus the 2:1 ratio of a stock case. They were made by JB Conversions but they stopped making them a while back because they just weren't selling enough of them.

This particular one has a 10-spline input shaft which I'm going to have to change and the case is going to have to be bored for the larger female input shaft bearing. It has the machined shift rails so it's already set up for twin sticks.

TCUCV

great write up on the process of the truck . . . just sat down and read the whole thing.

Man I have some projects to get done, keep up the good work[thumbzup]

tvguy

Does anyone know if the stock 205 transfer case has the "long" (3 5/8" stickout) or "short" (2" stickout) 32-spline input shaft?

Also, is the output shaft on the Turbo 400 the same (length) for both the 205 and 208 transfer cases?

Cucvnut

Does anyone know if the stock 205 transfer case has the "long" (3 5/8" stickout) or "short" (2" stickout) 32-spline input shaft?

Also, is the output shaft on the Turbo 400 the same (length) for both the 205 and 208 transfer cases?
it should be a short input

205 short used the 4" tail shaft, same as truck 2wd th400
205 long used 2-3/8" output, only 4wd trans. same as 208/241.

tvguy

it should be a short input

205 short used the 4" tail shaft, same as truck 2wd th400
205 long used 2-3/8" output, only 4wd trans. same as 208/241.
When you say "205 short used the 4" tail shaft", are you saying the output shaft of the Turbo 400 was 4", and the input shaft of the 205 was 2 3/8, or the "short" input?

Cucvnut

the 205 short 32 spl input goes with the 4" tail shaft
the 205 long 32 spl input goes with the 2-3/8" tail shaft
the 203 32spl goes with the 7/8" tail shaft.

tvguy

So the CUCV Turbo 400 has a 4" tailshaft? And the 205 has the "short" input, correct?

tvguy

Thanks. I ordered the "short" input shaft from JB Conversions today so hopefully that will do the trick.

tvguy

I started mounting the PVC inserts and "new" tires today. I took some pictures to document the process . . . this may not be the best or even the right way but it worked for me.

1. I put some liqued detergent and warm water in a spray bottle and used it to lubricate the tire and insert.

2. I placed the tire over the insert and then used an engine hoist with a tree saver to pull the insert through.

Attachments

tvguy

I placed the tire on the inner rim. I pre-lubricated the o-rings with petroleum jelly before getting started. When I was ready to assemble everything I started by stretching the o-ring to get it to seat in the "channel". I immediately placed the outer ring on using 4 - 6 standard nuts (not the lock nuts) to snug the outer ring down and hold the o-ring in place. Then I used the lock nuts on the remaining studs. Once all the bolts were snug I went back and replaced the standard nuts with lock nuts one at a time. At this point the tire would hold air. I started torquing the nuts, side-to-side, first to 70 ft. lbs., then 90, then 110.

I was able to get 2 of the 4 done today and hope to finish the others tomorrow. Unfortunately, I stopped taking pictures here . . . I'll take some more tomorrow.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks