• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The M1031 with 5" lift, 12-bolt H1's and no spacers build!

tvguy

Ingenius! I love it! Are you going to use beads to balance them?

Fowler :beer:
I thought about trying the balance beads but decided against it. I'm going to TRY and have them balanced, probably with the stick-on lead weights. I know they won't balance out completely but hopefully it will be better than nothing.

tvguy

4" springpack on the front? Looks like not much travel - do you need all that amount of bumpstop (looks like about 2.5" of solid rubber when compressed) to prevent metal/metal contact somewhere?
4" springs and a Zero Rate. I'm guessing the stockers were 2" and these are 4 1/2", so that gives me 2 1/2" more inches (with the lift). I'd be surprised if I ever hit them but they're there just in case.

tvguy

So I took the "new" set of 37's to have them balanced. Two balanced out pretty well and two didn't. In fact, one is unuseable. The run-out is so bad it beats you death.

I noticed on this set of wheels that they have a matching hole in the inner and outer ring. My old set didnt have this. On the first two tires I mounted I offset the hole on the inner wheel 180 degrees from the valvestem, and on the outer wheel 90 degrees. These two wheels balanced fine.

On the other two I aligned the hole and neither one of these balanced as you can see from all the weights. Is this a concidence, or did I mess up?

Attachments

TCUCV

I have the same wheels and one of the wheels didn't have the holes lined and caused my truck to go into a death wobble. Ever since I realigned it the truck has been 100% better.

Everywhere I have researched this says to align the holes, I've used the balancing beads on my last set of tires and they worked pretty good. Right now I have nothing in my 37's but it gets a little bumpy for me around 45-50

tvguy

I have the same wheels and one of the wheels didn't have the holes lined and caused my truck to go into a death wobble. Ever since I realigned it the truck has been 100% better.

Everywhere I have researched this says to align the holes, I've used the balancing beads on my last set of tires and they worked pretty good. Right now I have nothing in my 37's but it gets a little bumpy for me around 45-50
What did you do to "realign it"? Did you just eyeball it or use some sort of tool to make sure it was centered?

TCUCV

By align I mean matching the two holes up on the wheel.

It is a little weird that the two wheels that didn't have the matching holes ended up balancing out with the weights.

truck1

I like the idea of run flats, the beadlock rims, and the cool look,but they seem hard to balance and not practical for every day use.I used stock 16.5 GM 8- 1/4" rims with the 37"surplus humvee radials.They balanced quite well with 1 bag of beads per tire.No wobble or shimmy @ highway speed and no wheel weights.After 4K miles they seem to be wearing evenly.Please post pics when you get them all mounted-they look great!

TCUCV

I like the idea of run flats, the beadlock rims, and the cool look,but they seem hard to balance and not practical for every day use.I used stock 16.5 GM 8- 1/4" rims with the 37"surplus humvee radials.They balanced quite well with 1 bag of beads per tire.No wobble or shimmy @ highway speed and no wheel weights.After 4K miles they seem to be wearing evenly.Please post pics when you get them all mounted-they look great!
You can run them with or without runflats, I don't have them in mine. The 12 bolt wheels aren't beadlocks. They were designed so anyone could change a flat tire if needed by taking off the outer part of the wheel. They do seem a little harder to balance, but the beads worked for mine as well.

tvguy

I checked the runout on the two worst wheels. One was 110 thousands out and the other 120. I'm thinking this is more a case of bent wheels than misalighment . . . ?

Attachments

tvguy

I ended up buying some of the pilot washers for the wheels. I broke down the two rear wheels last weekend to install them, and ended up swapping the inner wheel on one (it was too out-of-round). I'm hoping to get the pilot washers installed on the front wheels this weekend.

I also dropped off the LoMax 205 at a machine shop to get the case bored for the 32-spline input shaft.

The more I drive it the more I think I'm going to have to adjust the rear pinion angle, but I'll have a better idea once all the tires are done and I can getter a better feel for the truck with the tires "balanced" (or as balanced as they're gonna get!).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks