• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The M1031 with 5" lift, 12-bolt H1's and no spacers build!

tvguy

Ingenius! I love it! Are you going to use beads to balance them?

Fowler :beer:
I thought about trying the balance beads but decided against it. I'm going to TRY and have them balanced, probably with the stick-on lead weights. I know they won't balance out completely but hopefully it will be better than nothing.

tvguy

4" springpack on the front? Looks like not much travel - do you need all that amount of bumpstop (looks like about 2.5" of solid rubber when compressed) to prevent metal/metal contact somewhere?
4" springs and a Zero Rate. I'm guessing the stockers were 2" and these are 4 1/2", so that gives me 2 1/2" more inches (with the lift). I'd be surprised if I ever hit them but they're there just in case.

tvguy

So I took the "new" set of 37's to have them balanced. Two balanced out pretty well and two didn't. In fact, one is unuseable. The run-out is so bad it beats you death.

I noticed on this set of wheels that they have a matching hole in the inner and outer ring. My old set didnt have this. On the first two tires I mounted I offset the hole on the inner wheel 180 degrees from the valvestem, and on the outer wheel 90 degrees. These two wheels balanced fine.

On the other two I aligned the hole and neither one of these balanced as you can see from all the weights. Is this a concidence, or did I mess up?

Attachments

TCUCV

I have the same wheels and one of the wheels didn't have the holes lined and caused my truck to go into a death wobble. Ever since I realigned it the truck has been 100% better.

Everywhere I have researched this says to align the holes, I've used the balancing beads on my last set of tires and they worked pretty good. Right now I have nothing in my 37's but it gets a little bumpy for me around 45-50

tvguy

I have the same wheels and one of the wheels didn't have the holes lined and caused my truck to go into a death wobble. Ever since I realigned it the truck has been 100% better.

Everywhere I have researched this says to align the holes, I've used the balancing beads on my last set of tires and they worked pretty good. Right now I have nothing in my 37's but it gets a little bumpy for me around 45-50
What did you do to "realign it"? Did you just eyeball it or use some sort of tool to make sure it was centered?

TCUCV

By align I mean matching the two holes up on the wheel.

It is a little weird that the two wheels that didn't have the matching holes ended up balancing out with the weights.

truck1

I like the idea of run flats, the beadlock rims, and the cool look,but they seem hard to balance and not practical for every day use.I used stock 16.5 GM 8- 1/4" rims with the 37"surplus humvee radials.They balanced quite well with 1 bag of beads per tire.No wobble or shimmy @ highway speed and no wheel weights.After 4K miles they seem to be wearing evenly.Please post pics when you get them all mounted-they look great!

TCUCV

I like the idea of run flats, the beadlock rims, and the cool look,but they seem hard to balance and not practical for every day use.I used stock 16.5 GM 8- 1/4" rims with the 37"surplus humvee radials.They balanced quite well with 1 bag of beads per tire.No wobble or shimmy @ highway speed and no wheel weights.After 4K miles they seem to be wearing evenly.Please post pics when you get them all mounted-they look great!
You can run them with or without runflats, I don't have them in mine. The 12 bolt wheels aren't beadlocks. They were designed so anyone could change a flat tire if needed by taking off the outer part of the wheel. They do seem a little harder to balance, but the beads worked for mine as well.

tvguy

I checked the runout on the two worst wheels. One was 110 thousands out and the other 120. I'm thinking this is more a case of bent wheels than misalighment . . . ?

Attachments

tvguy

I ended up buying some of the pilot washers for the wheels. I broke down the two rear wheels last weekend to install them, and ended up swapping the inner wheel on one (it was too out-of-round). I'm hoping to get the pilot washers installed on the front wheels this weekend.

I also dropped off the LoMax 205 at a machine shop to get the case bored for the 32-spline input shaft.

The more I drive it the more I think I'm going to have to adjust the rear pinion angle, but I'll have a better idea once all the tires are done and I can getter a better feel for the truck with the tires "balanced" (or as balanced as they're gonna get!).