• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The new EPA fuel cans suck!!!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced all of my gas and diesel cans with the extended spouts from Rural King. If I'm in a hurry I take the spout off and don't use a funnel. I still spill less than the crap the government mandated spouts do.

Jack Lope

Visit garage and estate sales. I've picked up some older cans that way that were still in good condition.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
These thing are like gun laws, the're not supposed to help anything or even have the slightest bit of reason or logic. just there to irritate and confuse you to the point that you will give up internal combustion engines!!!!!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right on microjeep! And the crap gasoline and diesel fuels they have mandated these days are absolutely no good, deteriorate quickly, phase separate, and are corrosive. One must add fuel life extenders if a vehicle is stored for any length of time. I have a M715 that was not run for a month. It would not start right, smoked severely when it did. I drained the fuel tank, finding no water or other substance, just a light orange color fuel. I replaced the fuel with new, purged the system, blew out the carb and it immediately ran fine. I have no idea what happened to the fuel to make it do that, but I do know the old plain gas never did that. It could smell sour but many times the motor would at least still run on it until you added good fuel. We use diesel in our wash tank. The old diesel would leave a light oil coating on the parts that prevented short term rusting. The new diesel will evaporate completely leaving virtually no oily residue. No wonder we need to add lubricants to it to protect our older diesel systems!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remove the nozzles & go to local home-improvement store to pick up appropriate-sized bushings & threaded PVC fittings...then use clear vinyl hose with screw-on caps (insert bushings with threaded ends) for fast, easy, spill-proof fillups.

You can also add manual Schrader valves for venting while filling.

Silverstate55 and I just experienced this a few days ago. My solution? Take off the spout and up-end the can as rapidly as possible into the filler.

The EPA mandated spouts have been "improved" beyond usability

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A cool of years ago I found some older 5 gallon cans on CL. They were new and still bundled. Keep shopping, useful cans still exist.

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can empathize with all of you the new so called politically correct fuel cans are all just about 100% worthless! My FIX to this ridiculous problem is to buy WATER cans and use them for fuel, spray paint a big red splash on them ans away you go, these can actually work exactly like a fuel can SHOULD!!!!
Karl

71DeuceAK

I know these annoying new fuel cans too. The concept is great IMO but it just doesn't work. For me it's been filling portable generators with the stupid new gas cans. The spring-loaded spouts are under so much tension they "pop off" the rim of the fuel filler. Its annoying as heck.

WV New Guy

I agree with Skinny I use a large 5 gallon plastic can similar to. VP can bought for mixing 2stoke oil and cam2 gas for my racing bike. Bike is gone I now use it for fueling the 5 ton and pick up when needed .

Dodge man

Military fuel cans all the way EPA cans suck big ones...
x10. I buy every military can that I find and I'm also stocking up on the old style plastic civy cans when i find them at garage sales etc. I have one of those EPA cans and I took the nozzle apart and made sure that everything worked the way that it was supposed to but I found that they are still IMPOSSIBLE to use. I thought that I could make it work but I couldn't, the design itself is just a total disaster. You have to wonder who the **** designs this kind of thing! I finally took mine apart and removed the valve, catches and other nonsense parts and threw them away. But I suspect that within a few years that WILL BE highly illegal.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I don't even attempt to use any of the spouts. I simple keep my marble shaker siphon line with the cans. There is nothing like watching the flow through clear hose and listening to the sucking empty air sound saying that can has been emptied.

Dodge man

I twisted the fancy nozzle attachment until it came off the spout and with a big grin threw it away. I might be able to use the spring sometime though. It was angering me that I had to go through all of the gymnastics to get fuel out of the can, and when it did, the flow was so slow I was further frustrated. After ripping off this contraption, behind the handle in the top of the can, I punched a 1/4" hole into which I insert a steel pin to seal it, removing the pin to vent and pour out the fuel at a volume a man can live with..
The steel pin is a good idea but I suggest using a golf tee. They're tapered so they should give a tight fit and the large head will give you some thing to grab onto in order to remove it. FWIW I keep a supply of golf tees on hand for plugging vacuum hoses and the like when I'm troubleshooting automotive systems.

ShawnIfert

NO-Spill is a carb cert fuel can but it is the best fuel can I ever owned!! You can also put a hose on the end of the nozzle. The NO-Spill cans are not cheap. I have five of them and I have had them for years now and not one issue. I would post a picture but the site will not let me.

Stalwart

I love the No-Spill too, have about 15 of the suckers use the 2.5 gal. ones for mixed fuel for the 2 strokes. I've never spilled more than a drop or two with them. I recommend removing the ratcheting portion with diagonal cutters. I leave the lids slightly loose for venting in storage.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I twisted the fancy nozzle attachment until it came off the spout and with a big grin threw it away. I might be able to use the spring sometime though. It was angering me that I had to go through all of the gymnastics to get fuel out of the can, and when it did, the flow was so slow I was further frustrated. After ripping off this contraption, behind the handle in the top of the can, I punched a 1/4" hole into which I insert a steel pin to seal it, removing the pin to vent and pour out the fuel at a volume a man can live with. I found a pipe end cap that fits over the nozzle to seal it for travel.
I am an older design engineer trying to use common sense in my designs but these days some of these apparently out of touch guys and their computers design stuff that is totally ridiculous. They and the EPA regulators that force it should be confined in a cell and forced to work with the ridiculous designs they put out for every hour of every day until they learn some sense.
I did this also. Then I used a really strong glue to glue the white neck to the red neck. Diesel will never touch it so it should work fine. Then I sent the one back to Amazon that I was going to use.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ace hardware $10 replacement nozzle with new threaded rings that one if fits all the cans I have, comes with air vent you drill a hole where the vent was before and press it in and wa-la old school can! And now back to our regularly scheduled drinking problem, I mean program.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
New posters need to go back and read all the way through this thread. The answer to your problem lies there, if you are wise enough to heed it. Those who only want to complain, keep on trucking!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks