• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The VTCS m756a2 Pipeline Truck

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
A few more pics of the truck at work in the yard lately.
We're engine swapping my m59 over to a multifuel so we used it to remove the engines from the donor truck and the dump:
IMG_3241.jpgIMG_3254.jpg
Dropping the sprag transfer case out:
IMG_3260.jpgIMG_3261.jpg
Dropping the multifuel in:
IMG_3283.jpg
Adding some grease to the pulleys:
IMG_3279.jpg
Added some paint to the metal strips on the deck before the weather got too bad, and installed a rear view mirror. The mirror bracket from a GMC m211 works great without drilling any holes.
IMG_3328.jpgIMG_3327.jpg
Also picked up another part of the BII:
IMG_3329.jpg
This 16' long piece of 5/8" chain. Not pipeline truck specific but could be found with any deuce equipped with a front winch.

The m756a2 is also a candidate for mv of the month right now. ;)
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...diers-MV-of-the-month-2016-November-VOTE-HERE!

71DeuceAK

Very nice, glad to see it put to work! I might be ending up with what's supposedly a '79 M35A2 with some M764 stuff on it this spring, might be a fun project.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
At 8 degrees Fahrenheit the other day the pipeline truck fired right up just like in the summertime.:D We definitely need to add a heater kit, it's hard to work the winch when the rear window is frozen shut.:x
IMG_3448.jpgIMG_3451.jpgIMG_3453.jpg

The rear winch worked great for the easy task of winching a couple m135 deuces onto a lowboy trailer. The spec sheet from the early fifties mentions a temporary parking brake to hold pressure to the service brakes (like found on the GMC deuces), but the factory pipeline trucks don't have it. It would be nice to have for winching or when working on an incline, and wouldn't be too difficult to add.
IMG_3465.jpgIMG_3464.jpg

tommys2patrick

I love the way this truck has worked out. Useful and handsome--reminds me of what Red Green said about how women should find you. That rear view mirror would be nice to have in an M275. Where might I source one, if you don't mind me asking?

Another Ahab

I love the way this truck has worked out. Useful and handsome--reminds me of what Red Green said about how women should find you. That rear view mirror would be nice to have in an M275. Where might I source one, if you don't mind me asking?
For the brake i would built something like that...just stronger...

a simple threated spindle, a peace of tube amd a nut.
Your truck is really great!!!
I agree completely. What I like is how it's a working rig, and looks terrific to boot. :driver::naner:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Here is the type of Temporary Parking Brake setup I was thinking of installing. Holding the brakes and then flipping the switch on the dash would activate the valve which holds pressure in the lines. Easy to use and would allow the operator to winch without holding the brake pedal, and it would be nice to supplement the mechanical parking brake when on an incline until the wheels are chocked.
IMG_3473.jpg

rustystud

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Here is the type of Temporary Parking Brake setup I was thinking of installing. Holding the brakes and then flipping the switch on the dash would activate the valve which holds pressure in the lines. Easy to use and would allow the operator to winch without holding the brake pedal, and it would be nice to supplement the mechanical parking brake when on an incline until the wheels are chocked.
View attachment 662686

Just remember to install it correctly. If you don't the fluid will leak out.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That is what the 39 and 809 series 5t wreckers use as a working brake, according to the -10 for these trucks, you are not supposed to use it as a permanent brake, the reason for this warning even though it is not in the -10 is that wheel cylinders if they are pressure loaded for a length of time will seep, thus loosing the wheel lock effect (truck rolls) and low fluid for operation of the brake system.

The only thing different from the wreckers is the control switch, this one is a flip on/off switch, while the wreckers use a momentary on push button, with the wreckers you step on the brake, hold the pedal down, push the button, release the brake pedal, your brakes are now set with the back pressure holding the valve closed, to release just push down on the brake pedal, this put pressure on the other side of the valve which pushes open which releases the brakes.
The bad thing about the on/off flip switch is that you HAVE TO have power to the switch at ALL TIMES or the brakes will release, in another words you can not shut the truck down even for a second., like a issue came up and the truck needed to be shut down fast while in the working mode.

One more thing, if you set the brakes with full air for the boost, DO NOT think you are going to release them easy if you do not have air built up (no boost), like if you wanted to let the truck roll a bit

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
A few recent cold weather shots of the pipeline truck.
IMG_3479.jpgIMG_3484.jpgIMG_3503.jpg

Also an old pic of the yard. The center truck in the lineup is the m756a2. I'm not sure the date the picture was taken but I'm guessing sometime around 1996-1997. I know it's the pipeline truck because there's a better picture of it in the January 1997 issue of MV magazine, when they did an article on VTCS. Back then the truck had a canvas cab top and cargo cover, and just one convoy light.
If you look close you can see how the standard m35 cargo cover is wrapped around the headache rack.

vtcs edit.jpgm756a2 vtcs.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks