• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about a 1st Deuce

Olympus

I know this probably a bad idea, but I've wanted one for a long time. I have zero experience with MVs and very little experience in automotive mechanics in general. I know buying one from a surplus site is out of the question for me and I'm thinking private party sales might also be too much of a leap.

My question is are there some reputable sellers who buy these trucks and go through them, replacing and making necessary repairs, and then reselling them? I would probably feel more comfortable paying extra for one that I known has been gone through by a competent mechanic than trying to buy one as cheap as possible.

My intended uses would be just general cruising, no mudding or off-roading to speak of, and as a last ditch bug out vehicle. Am I just wishful thinking about owning one or would it be possible for someone like me?

Coldpan35

Hi first off let me say if you haven't already read the operator manual you should, it has very good info on the m35a2s. I know of a few places that are surplus places that sell deuces that are gone through and serviced before you can take it home. Now I'm on the east coast so are many of the surplus places I'll list. As for wanting to own one I'd say go for it they are great trucks! The surplus companys I know of are Kublo's surplus in Brackney PA (where I bought my deuce from) Eastern surplus in Philadelphia PA, next is TNJ Murry in Dover Delaware, then Memphis Equipment in Memphis Tennessee, The ones that are closer to your location would probably be C&C equipment or Boyce equipment. I hope I helped you out and hope you find a nice deuce!

Olympus

Memphis is only a few hours away actually. I live in southeast Missouri. Now I haven't really started looking at prices yet from these places, but what kinda price could I expect to oay for a good condition truck that's been gone through by one of these shops? Is $10k not going to be enough?

On a side note, my absolute holy grail would be a 5 ton bobbed truck, but I think that's going to be way outside my price and it may not even fit inside my shop door.

Coldpan35

Oh really that's great! And the average price for a good running road ready truck is between $5000-8000 depending on options aka with a winch, hard top, air assist steering, etc. but 10k is actually good to have because of your title fees, state tax, tags, registration. When I bought mine I figured all that in and all I needed was 7k and I was set. But you can get one in really good shape from eastern for I believe $7500.

Olympus

Winch is awesome, but for my needs probably not worth the cost and would likley never be used. That's good to know about the price. I would just prefer to buy something that's been repaired and inspected by someone knowledgeable rather than an unknown private seller who may be unloading their problem truck on me.

dmetalmiki

It (your decision) is a great idea, All the above dealers would supply your needs. Ring any one of them to get the lowdown.
Next, find an enthusiast from this site in your area and have a chat and perhaps that person would arrange a "test drive" or at least some instruction. Digest the T.M.s and though not a requirement I would definitely see about a cdl with the appropriate driving course. Going that way will give you confidence and peace of mind. Good luck keep us posted of your progress with the obligatory pictures.

Olympus

I do have a lot of experience driving large and heavy trucks. My family farms and the first stick shift I learned to drive was a 13 speed Ford 10-wheeler grain truck. I'm very confident in my driving abilities, just not in my mechanical abilities.

turnkey

First welcome to the Green Iron madness... Ok the MV that you may want and get could be 2 different things....auto or stick to being with.......Hey read the TM section, and like said before, go to a rally, or talk to the folks around your area.....Interest is great ...Best of luck ....This is always back up for ya on this site...again welcome.

61sleepercab

I would suggest that you find someone local that could give you some seat time to see what type of truck Deuce or 5 ton suits your wants and needs. You also need to consider your state's drivers license and liability insurance for your intended use. I have driven the Deuce and other straight trucks and have M925 5 ton. I find that the 5 ton is easier to drive with power steering and automatic transmission. The 5 ton is taller and air brakes takes some getting used to. A military Jeep may be the cure or you may like the big stuff. Good Luck Mark

Coldpan35

I've seen some 5tons go for 6k and others go for 12k it all depends on the condition usually. I have always wanted a M923A2 but I can't get one I don't have CDL. Now those prices could be better in your area but around here that's what I've seen. Now one thing you do have to realize is that when something needs to be fixed on your truck you can't just go to any garage to have it fixed. Most places will say no we can't work on those or something to that extent ask me how I know lol.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are tall/big the deuce can be tight. I'm 6'3" and I have to lean my head over a bit to see around or under the wiper motor at the top of the windshield. Secondly, my knee will hit the steering wheel before my foot is over the clutch or brake, so I have to lean my leg against the door to get over the pedal. This is for the m35a2 or m109a3. The pedals can be lowered to some degree to help with this. They weigh ~14000 lb

Now my M931 A2 has a ton of room with no issues. Power steering, air brakes, lots of power, and an automatic transmission. It weighs ~20,000 lb

Olympus

Ok, been doing some more research. What would ballpark price be on an A3 model with the Cat diesel and Allison tranny? How much does it cost to have one bobbed?

Saw several videos online of the bobbed A3 and it looks very sharp and seems to be nicer driving with the automatic tranny. I noticed some even have an air assist power steering option.

71DeuceAK

I say go for it, being in a similar situation myself. I've only just started learning to drive myself, and my first time behind the wheel of a stick shift was in a Deuce! (That's another story though). At one point it looked like I might have a '71 Deuce dumped on my lamp for free as a first vehicle. :lol: My friends all got a really good laugh out of that one...the idea of me driving that around as a daily driver.

Ideally thought I want a M923A2...automatic transmission, power steering, etc.

Roaddog58

Steel Soldiers Supporter
on gsaauctions.gov I just bought a truck in va for $505, I got her home,[ we towed it with another deuce] it only needs a tranny. check as soon as posible. on truckplanet.com there is a m109 in az or nm. Check em out or if you can't find them pm me!

Olympus

on gsaauctions.gov I just bought a truck in va for $505, I got her home,[ we towed it with another deuce] it only needs a tranny. check as soon as posible. on truckplanet.com there is a m109 in az or nm. Check em out or if you can't find them pm me!
I really need a road-ready machine as I have very little mechanical experience and don't know of anyone in my area that works on these machines. But I will check out your lead.

MDdeuce

I have zero experience with MVs and very little experience in automotive mechanics in general.
Just a word of caution, any deuce you get will be ~45yrs old. Even if it is in great condition it will need preventative maintenance and repairs to be operated safely. These can be done economically if you do it yourself, however if you need to take it to a mechanic you will probably go broke. Your local shop will most likely not work on it, and a heavy truck shop will cost big $$s. My last oil change used $70 in oil alone - it takes close to 6gal. If you don't have many tools that investment could be shocking, you will need up to at least 1-1/2" socket set.

Also, if you are not use to driving large vehicles it takes some getting use to. M35 is ~14,000lbs empty, ~24,000lbs loaded, and another ~10,000lbs behind in a loaded trailer. 34,000lbs is a lot more than your compact car, and to legally realize the full towing capacity you need a CDL. Due to the weight/size there may also be restrictions on where you can park/store/drive it.

Don't get me wrong, they are great vehicles and I love driving my deuce around. Just understand what you are getting into.

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if you aren't mechanically inclined now, you will need to be at some point with these trucks incase of a breakdown. If you do go the fixer upper route you have all the info needed in these forums to rebuild your truck . Then you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself and will know your truck inside out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks