• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This truck is so BAD A..!!!! I'm in LOVE....

M920

Hi Soni:
I like the retarder on my HT755 very well. This trans allows you to operate in "anable" works only on braking automaticly or "apply" on untill turned off. Trans temp rises moderatly but Ive never had to disengage the retarder due to high temp. Here in the Appalacians the retarder is adequate by itself to maintain safe speeds without applying service brakes. I dont have a Jake, so Im sure with a retarder Jake combe you would never need the service brakes for highway driving. Hope this helps.
KJ
Thanks KJ....that makes me want to find one for my HT4070....What vehicle is your HT755 in?

Soni

promodhotrod

Soni:
The HT755 is in a bluebird bus with an 8v92, gcvw normally aroud 50K. As another note on the allison, I run BP Tran Synd fluid to help keep temps low, and have had very good luck so far. My military vehicles are unfortunatly 5 speed manuals of various design. Just bought a pair of m916 tractors with the cat 7155 transmissions, and Im looking forward to trying out the much maligned semi-auto.
KJ

Mack 121472

thanks for all the info i have a m920 an i have 1600s to install my ? is how much do you have to grind off so the wheel will fit?? i all read grinded the valve steam slots :grd:

M920

thanks for all the info i have a m920 an i have 1600s to install my ? is how much do you have to grind off so the wheel will fit?? i all read grinded the valve steam slots :grd:
Ok, here is a quick scetch of the area on the front drums of the M916-M920 trucks, with dimmensions, that have to be addressed (ground or machined off)
in order to run the 20" HEMTT wheels on them.

Hope this helps.....

Soni

Attachments

Kalashnikov

That is a very nice looking truck and seems like a **** of deal. How easy can you get parts though? Do you have some interior pictures?

Mack 121472

:grd:
Ok, here is a quick scetch of the area on the front drums of the M916-M920 trucks, with dimmensions, that have to be addressed (ground or machined off)

Hope this helps.....

Soni
Thank you for geting back to me sir . hope my truck comes out half as good as yours did....Linn

86m1028

Hope this helps.....

Soni

Thanks for posting that

466Navastar

Id be interested to know what is the source of the bad reputation of the CAT 7155 trans and if the Allison HT7140 is any better/worse since Ive seen M916/M920 trucks with both for sale.....

also wondering if the 7 speed Allison HT4070 models ---like Soni has - are practically non existant or is it reasonable to expect some to pop up?..........open question (crystal ball info excluded)

as I understand it - only USMC has this model...is that correct?

what is the concensus regarding the Detroit Series 60 engines VS: the Big Cam Cummins 400 horsepower ------any reason to want either one over the other?

lastly - being new ......I have no way to knowing how difficult it is to get necessary missing parts like whole seats , stock wheel /tires, gauges and steering columns for these M916 trucks. Ive seen canibilized trucks being sold that otherwise look nice and just dont know how much trouble it is to get parts to put them back together............I guess the question is - is it unwise to buy incomplete trucks except for parts?....generally do a few small parts cost as much as the incomplete truck?

eldgenb

Id be interested to know what is the source of the bad reputation of the CAT 7155 trans and if the Allison HT7140 is any better/worse since Ive seen M916/M920 trucks with both for sale.....

also wondering if the 7 speed Allison HT4070 models ---like Soni has - are practically non existant or is it reasonable to expect some to pop up?..........open question (crystal ball info excluded)

as I understand it - only USMC has this model...is that correct?

what is the concensus regarding the Detroit Series 60 engines VS: the Big Cam Cummins 400 horsepower ------any reason to want either one over the other?

lastly - being new ......I have no way to knowing how difficult it is to get necessary missing parts like whole seats , stock wheel /tires, gauges and steering columns for these M916 trucks. Ive seen canibilized trucks being sold that otherwise look nice and just dont know how much trouble it is to get parts to put them back together............I guess the question is - is it unwise to buy incomplete trucks except for parts?....generally do a few small parts cost as much as the incomplete truck?

I think it would be more cost effective to buy a complete truck. Most of the parts used for these trucks are over the counter commercial truck parts but as I have found out there are a lot of one off small parts that hold it all together that are really tough to find. I think both engines have their strong points. I think the detroit is much more modern and has some great quality's but to get that you are talking about an A2 truck make by freightliner as opposed to the A1 made by am gen. The Cummins has been around forever, easily upgradable and an in frame rebuild is much cheaper than the detroit. I do like the CAT trans now that I have the bugs worked out, it is the fact that I had bugs to begin with is the reason I am looking to swap it out this summer. The allison like Soni's is a no show right now and I don't think you will see very many up for auction or sale. There are some civilian models that are very close and are a lot more common to what he has available as well.

NEIOWA

Yeah....we certainly can't trust their discription. There is really no way though to see from the pics if the Allison tranny is still in the truck. You can see the cab ride air bag and related bracket in one of the pics and I noticed that the trottle position sensor is missing of the engine. all you can see is the 3 wire plug hanging out that used to plug in to it. It was certainly the same truck as mine.....just don't know how much was left of the goodies after they canibalized her......aua
If the Allison was still in the truck.....some one certainly got a REALLY GOOD DEAL on it!!!

Soni
Indicating nothing about transmission or previous brand of service there are 9ea M916A1 listed at DRMS Barstow. Apparently Sam is also dumping M916A1 as currently 22ea list around CONUS (no M916 listed, perhaps all gone).