• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Those in Texas with former MV tags...

TexAndy

How often have you been pulled over?

Based on the reports of others, registering my deuce as a normal truck would be over $300! For one YEAR!

I just think it's outrageous that I should pay 1/5th of the value of the vehicle in taxes every single year. Regardless of how much I drive it!

Of course, I am weighing that against my chances of being caught and paying a fine for cruising around with just Former MV registration. So there lies the gap in my decision process.

What are my chances of getting pulled over and it being a cop who knows the law and will hammer me for driving around with a MV registration?

Are my chances any better with the MV plate rather than just the .mil registration markings?

dabtl

We are rarely pulled over for any reason other than wanting to see what kind of guns we are transporting at the time. Sometimes a cannon, other times full auto. We know most of them by now.:-D

TexAndy

We are rarely pulled over for any reason other than wanting to see what kind of guns we are transporting at the time. Sometimes a cannon, other times full auto. We know most of them by now.:-D
With plates or just the .mil markings?

eta: I'll want to pick your brain later. I've got a 1919A4 that I want to mount, but am not totally sure how to do it...

Snarky

I only paid 150$ for my initial registration. They registered it as a 1971 diesel truck made by kaiser-jeep. Now I'm sure if they had actually asked how much the GVW was I would have paid more, but they didn't ask, and I wasn't offering. They registered it from an Ohio title I had gotten from the previous owner, not SF-71 or whatever, now it's got a Texas title.

When I registered it they asked when we were almost done:

"What kind of vehicle is it?"
"It's a truck."
"Oh, you mean like a pickup truck?"
"Something like that."
"Oh, here are your plates."
"Thanks. Have a good day!"

Last edited:

sailor2000

My M35 is a "pickup truck:, tags $165 a year. No restrictions. When I renewed last year the clerk said, " That a pretty big piakup"... I replied "yes"...

sloryd

I just completed the tag work last week here in League City TX.

I registered the truck as a former MV. I do not plan on driving it as a daily driver. Former MV is for parades and shows only. If you plan to use the trucks as a daily driver you must have regular tags.

If you have a trailer, like a 105 it is considered an extension to the truck and a separate plate is not required. Also under the Former MV registration you have the option to apply a stenciled number ( I use the registration number on the military documents supplied with the truck which is the same as the first 7 digits of the VIN number), or you they can issue you a MV plate. I chose the former because it looks more original than hanging a plate on the truck. MV plates are $50 for 5 year period. You will get a sticker for the truck but you do not have to display it just keep it in the glove box.

If you go with the former MV option there is no inspection required. With normal plates you have a yearly inspection.

I have had no problems with LEO and I have never been pulled over either. I live close to Kema TX, and they just wave at you when you drive by. Just keep the registration paper work in the glove box and your good to go.

I went with classic car/MV insurance and cost was $120 annual for each truck.

If you plan to use the truck as a daily driver defined by the state with no restrictions, you have to register as a flat bed truck. Take the ID plate from the dash board with you when you go to the tax assessor office. Make life a lot easier.

TexAndy

I just completed the tag work last week here in League City TX.

I registered the truck as a former MV. I do not plan on driving it as a daily driver. Former MV is for parades and shows only. If you plan to use the trucks as a daily driver you must have regular tags.

If you plan to use the truck as a daily driver defined by the state with no restrictions, you have to register as a flat bed truck. Take the ID plate from the dash board with you when you go to the tax assessor office. Make life a lot easier.
I don't plan on making mine a daily driver. But probably a weekly driver.

IOW, I know it's illegal. The objective here is to see how likely it is I'll get caught.

How much is flat bed truck registration? I'm guessing quite a bit, right?

Pawnshop

It's NOT illegal to drive a vehicle registered as a "Texas Former Military" for reasons other than parades and shows. The law allows maintenance runs and "items of public interest". If people ask about the truck or even give you a thumbs up then I say that is a rolling parade and living history display. You can NOT use it for personal transportation (to and from work etc...) and you can not use it for commercial purposes (hauling for hire).

Former Mil registration with out plates to display will NOT get you a ticket (or fine), however displaying Former Mil plates instead of a painted on number (mine are inside the cab) might save a lot of explaining to LEOs by the side of the road. They can be mounted in a manner to make them easy to remove at a show.

Those of you who registered their Deuces as pickup trucks will be fined heavily when the County discovers you have not paid the taxes for the correct weight class, and they will eventually figure it out. The taxes are assessed based on GVW which for a M35A2 is about #24,000, regardless of the stated configuration (flat bed, cargo, pickup etc...) You will also have to pass a yearly safety inspection and have to deal with License and Weights like any other Commercial Vehicle (you will have to explain to them why a Deuce is not a Commercial Vehicle). Have you looked at the regs for big trucks concerning mandatory equipment? Lighting alone will require major work to get a Deuce to pass an inspection.

Sec. 547.352. ADDITIONAL LIGHTING EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS. In addition to other equipment required by this chapter:
(1) a bus, truck, trailer, or semitrailer that is at least 80 inches wide shall be equipped with:
(A) two clearance lamps on the front, one at each side;
(B) two clearance lamps on the rear, one at each side;
(C) four side marker lamps, one on each side at or near the front and one on each side at or near the rear;
(D) four reflectors, one on each side at or near the front and one on each side at or near the rear; and
(E) hazard lamps that meet the requirements of Section 547.331;

And a Deuce with a M105 trailer is considered a Commercial Vehicle by Texas law due to GVW:

(1) "Commercial motor vehicle" means a self-propelled or towed vehicle, other than a farm vehicle with a gross weight, registered weight, or gross weight rating of less than 48,000 pounds, that is used on a public highway to transport passengers or cargo if:
(A) the vehicle, including a school activity bus as defined in Section 541.201, or combination of vehicles has a gross weight, registered weight, or gross weight rating of more than 26,000 pounds;

Sec. 548.052. VEHICLES NOT SUBJECT TO INSPECTION. This chapter does not apply to:
(5) a former military vehicle, as defined by Section 502.275;

There are too many benefits of former MV registration in Texas to even consider going any other way.

Last edited:

sloryd

I think it was around $150 plus inspection.

Pawnshop

It was not explaned to me about the maintencance run or public interest. Good to know

thanks

Last edited:

Pawnshop

I have been meaning to make up an info/spec sheet for my trucks and carry them with me to hand out to curious folks, and I display MVPA stickers. It is not a stretch at all to consider a Sunday drive on a pretty day an educational experience for the General Public.

If you don't cause a nuisance, piss off the wrong person, or violate traffic laws then you will likely NEVER have to explain your MV in an official capacity. And Former MV registration is the cheapest and easiest way to make your truck road legal and pay your taxes like a productive Citizen.

Barrman

Farm vehicles have to get inspected and can't be used as daily drivers either.

What is a daily driver? Do you drive to work 7 days a week? That is how a police officer replied when I asked him about it.

I had regular tags, inspection and plate on my M715 for about 4 years. I got pulled over in my town at least once a month and in most other towns I drove in. Never a ticket, but silly stuff such as: "I can't see your license plate from all angles", "Your license plate light is not in the correct spot, even though it is day light out." "Your inspection and registration sticker are blocking your view of the road, that is dangerous.", etc.. I was driving the M715 to work 5 days a week then.

I painted it, added the markings and switched to former MV registration. I have walked out of stores to find some of the same police that pulled me over in the past looking it over and complimenting me on how good it looked. No pull overs in any vehicle with former MV registration. Figure 5-10K miles a year on the M715, 1-3K on the pair of M35's per year.

One thing I made sure of though is that I have driven the trucks in any and every local parade my town has. I also participate in some far off events, but doing a local event lets all the law people, tax office people and any other small town busy body that cares to see me doing parades.

I am a Webelos leader, Assistant Scout Master and my son does sports. I only drive MV's to those events. That means at least 5-10 trips to town each week. I try to rotate the vehicle used so they all get "exercised" equally. Plus, probably 1-3 days of driving one of them to work each week.

I keep a print out of the TXDOT statute about former MV registration, DPS inspection exemption, Tax office registration form with the sticker that doesn't get stuck in each truck and drive the way my flight instructor told me to fly many years ago. "Fly like at least 5 people on the ground are following everything you do with a video camera." Basioally act resposible and you will have no reason to get pulled over.

dittle

Just be careful how you ask the question, if this thread gets misinterrupted on how to break the law and your odds of getting caught at it then there is an issue of having this online in a public forum.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I regestered mine with normal texas truck tags. Last reg was $163. Some counties have higher road and bridge fees. I went this route so i could haul or go where ever i wanted when ever i wanted. I didn't want to have to look over my shoulder every time i went some where in it. And it doubles as a back up when ever my POV breaks down. Having said that, I've been pulled over 5 times in the last 10 years of owning it. Once for speeding! No it wasen't a school zone.

Maverick1701

When registering as FMV do we need to get a regular vehicle inspection as well?

nevermind... I called the tax office and they said I only needed to have the windshield inspected

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks