• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Those in Texas with former MV tags...

TexAndy

Just be careful how you ask the question, if this thread gets misinterrupted on how to break the law and your odds of getting caught at it then there is an issue of having this online in a public forum.

Well, the key issue is "public interest." What does that mean?

It's a vagary of the law. While I'm pretty sure they didn't intend for it to mean just cruising around, you could interpret that as "public interest."

Keith_J

Well, if you want to drive them, why not make an event out of it? Say a MV meet open to the public in a public park? Post it here, make a few posters and get the permission? Coordinate with the VFW/Legion for the final say.

How about riding support for Patriot Guard? I am certain they would LOVE it.

Barrman

You asking about the out of state new to Texas inspection, "green sheet?" I have done two with foreign titles and no green sheet and two with Texas titles and no inspections either. Print out the exemption form and take it with you.

Westex

I'm going with Barrman, and while I'm at it, many thanks to him and the others for this great info. What exactly do you need to take to the tax office besides the SF97, your invoice and your insurance? Do they give you an actual plate or can you use the bumper numbers? SCC

TexAndy

I'm going with Barrman, and while I'm at it, many thanks to him and the others for this great info. What exactly do you need to take to the tax office besides the SF97, your invoice and your insurance? Do they give you an actual plate or can you use the bumper numbers? SCC
Plate is optional. You can use the bumper numbers instead.

And really, I don't think the SF97 is necessary. I think theoretically the invoice should suffice, but you'll probably get a wide range of opinions on that. The lady at my tax office wouldn't accept it. She wanted an SF97. YMMV

here's the FMV registration form

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdotefo...eportError.jsp&configFile=WFServletConfig.xml

TexAndy

Well, if you want to drive them, why not make an event out of it? Say a MV meet open to the public in a public park? Post it here, make a few posters and get the permission? Coordinate with the VFW/Legion for the final say.

How about riding support for Patriot Guard? I am certain they would LOVE it.

How about a convoy to the Alamo? :-D

Pawnshop

dang i didnt edit my post in time... I called the tax office and they said I only needed my windshield inspected but no vehicle inspection like normal trucks
No inspection of any kind, windshield or anything else.

When you register any vehicle from out of state you have to have the VIN certified. You can have that done as part of a safety inspection but since a MV is exempt from that you have to have the local PD's "vehicle theft interdiction unit" fill out the form. I guess you COULD try to get a vehicle inspection station to only do that part (and not the rest of the safety inspection) but my local station would not do it.

To register you need: Proof of insurance (OR an approved SR2 exemption form), SF97 , the Florida re-assignment of title that came with your SF97, signed "paid" invoice from GL, application for title, the VIN certification and the application for Texas Former Military Vehicle registration. I THINK that is all, am I right Barman?

TexAndy,
Well with all that said!! :p I just registered my HMMWV about four years ago and give simple answers to question about what type of weight and type of vehicle it is. It is too easy to find an inspector that really doesn’t care about the ozone as I do. It is to easy to find an inspetor that is willing to help you get your fromer military vehicle on the road and pass the red tape.

What are the chances you are a real veteran? I know 80% of these MVers are not vets. I am not using the Former Military Vehicle plates, because it is not in my best interest. I drive it when I want rain, sun, shining day and back and forth to work. I registered it under disabled veteran “DV” and pay only $3.00 a year and still get more respect from non-vets as well as vets. I have never been pulled over but only during pit stop or at gas stations from police officers who shake my hand and praise my vehicle. Then get asked, how they go about getting one. So the choice is yours, but if it were me I would register it and enjoy the ride when you want to.

Desert Storm, OEF I and OIF II veteran.

Last edited:

NewWheeler

Registered mine as an FMV. I only drive about once a week but when I do I drive it when and where I want. I don't wear plates just the bumper markings. Only responses I've had from LEOs off base are waves. I carry proof of insurance, registration, and copies of the Texas statutes regarding plates, inspections and registration of MVs. I'm confident that I can explain anytime that I am out and about as a requirement to maintain the vehicle. I don't use it commercially which would be hard to explain.

TexAndy

TexAndy,
Well with all that said!! :p I just registered my HMMWV about four years ago and give simple answers to question about what type of weight and type of vehicle it is. It is too easy to find an inspector that really doesn’t care about the ozone as I do. It is to easy to find an inspetor that is willing to help you get your fromer military vehicle on the road and pass the red tape.

What are the chances you are a real veteran? I know 80% of these MVers are not vets. I am not using the Former Military Vehicle plates, because it is not in my best interest. I drive it when I want rain, sun, shining day and back and forth to work. I registered it under disabled veteran “DV” and pay only $3.00 a year and still get more respect from non-vets as well as vets. I have never been pulled over but only during pit stop or at gas stations from police officers who shake my hand and praise my vehicle. Then get asked, how they go about getting one. So the choice is yours, but if it were me I would register it and enjoy the ride when you want to.

Nope, I'm not a vet.

NICE humvee. I'm jealous. :x

Pawnshop

TexAndy,

A little easier to do with a HMMVW than a Deuce, no mods required.

Thanks for your service Sir.

kcimb

Get both..87...IBTL...blade at 45 degrees...sweep the leg..

'sup andaaay?

The DMV is the worst bunch of soul-sucking monsters you will ever encounter in the MV world.

DavesGMC knows allll about them :) "You can't register that, it's a tank!"

BEASTMASTER

quit you're crying, i pay $450 a yr for plates and $1800 a yr for ins. if you're toy cost to much to own get rid of it!!!!!!!!!! geeze i feel better now.

BEASTMASTER

the great state of TAX achusettes. can't do antique because of the weight and ten tires issue. has to be comm.plates. and i want to drive it anywhere and anytime, and do whatever i want with it.. i plow with it to help pay the ins. my honeys' rule, it has to earn it's keep. hey, if you want to play you gotta pay.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks