• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Threads

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i just tried to delete one of my want ads and got a message saying "you do not have permission to access this page"......

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So much for the solicitation for "Self Policing"
I often rethink my position based on comments received. I try to keep an open mind. If I find myself to be wrong, or off the track, I prefer to delete the thread I started as it, IMHO, offers more confusion, less content than the desired intention.

Now it is our option to create, but not delete our sometimes unintended purpose.

I don't like the lack of user options, it's unconventional wisdom and practice, but I can live with it if I must.
If you need a thread deleted that you answered yourself, or just totally goofed up on, PM me or the staff. In all likelyhood, it can be resolved.

vtdeucedriver

I'm just following orders, but the changes were made to retain informative posts and help facilitate chain of events when deals go south with members. We've had issues with a few members deleting posts and editing them after the fact in some cases. By doing that, they "clean their tracks".
Thank you!!! This has happened in the past and as I read the thread, this was my thoughts so I am glad that this was the reason as a seller on here kept dodging questions about a 5 ton truck he was trying to sell. I was asking honest questions as I had guys not in the hobby and had not been around a 5 ton in 30 yrs for a Gun Truck Project. the seller removed the thread about his truck. Even when another SS member asked the same questions I was, when he reposted, he removed it once again. All I was doing was trying to look out for the benefit of a VN veteran that did not have the $$$ to sink into a truck that had possible problems.

So again thank you for having this option.

3dAngus

I dont care for alot of rules and regulations HOWEVER your statement above makes me understand why it has to be.
I'm under the impression all tracks are still there.
Not only are they still there, they are available to Mods with the priviledges granted to them by the Admin to go back and review them. They are simply not there for the general public to see.

And not only are they all there, but they should be recorded and backed up for a minimum of one year, in case any investigative agency need step in with supeona to capture as part of their investigation.

The only thing different is, we, the general public, can't see them. In most cases, we don't need to, and proably would have been better off if we never saw it in the first place. Self policing is a good policy. Removing the capability is questionable.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm under the impression all tracks are still there.
Not only are they still there, they are available to Mods with the priviledges granted to them by the Admin to go back and review them. They are simply not there for the general public to see.

And not only are they all there, but they should be recorded and backed up for a minimum of one year, in case any investigative agency need step in with supeona to capture as part of their investigation.

The only thing different is, we, the general public, can't see them. In most cases, we don't need to, and proably would have been better off if we never saw it in the first place. Self policing is a good policy. Removing the capability is questionable.
All tracks are not there. If they were, this change wouldn't have taken place.

Users can "soft" delete posts. But edits are not retained by vBulletin.

Self policing is a good policy, when it can be done without issue. Unfortunately several events recently have proven otherwise.

I will study if there's a means to retain a history of edits. But allowing deletion rights again can lead to loss of informative threads when a user "takes his ball home".

plym49

In some forums, it is customary for someone creating something like a build thread to reserve 6 or 10 blank (reserved) posts up top, editing to add photos and descriptive texst as work ensues. This way, someone reading the thread sees all of the pertinent text and photos up front, without having to wade through a dozen pages of 'nice job', 'awesome' and 'you did it all wrong'. This has not been SOP here, but it is in some ways a handy way of posting a build or how-to thread. Too bad that the dopey actions of a few are robbing us of the ability to manage our threads this way.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is an information site. Trying to find ways to safeguard that information. It's more friendly to just limit the ability to delete than to get into a battle of restoring deleted threads for them only to be deleted again. There's a few things at play here. Use your common sense when posting. If you have to go back and delete it, you probably should think it through more thoroughly. I sometime have responses open for hours at a time debating on whether or not to hit the submit button. Trying to make a better site here folks. As DH said, lets run it a while and see where it goes.

lavarok

What this new policy tells me is that our posts once posted after 24hrs no longer belong to us. Our intellectual property becomes the property of the website.

You might want to update the "forum rules" and terms of service. Unless I missed it, ownership of content is not addressed in either document.

Just saying....

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think not being able to delete threads is a good thing just because one person starts a threads they shouldn't be able to eliminate the work and information others contribute to it.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like my Harry Potter alternator thread will live on forever. Rat4Spd will be pleased.

:popcorn:

quickfarms

I tried to find an old thread here that would have answered my questions but it was deleted so that someone could charge for the information that was in the thread.

If you are worried about you intellectual property than post it as a link

I think that preventing us from editing our own posts will make it harder to follow the build posts or result in multiple posts about the same build.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To my knowledge, I've never deleted a thread so that won't matter to me.

I have posted info before and found out latter the info was wrong and gone back and edited the post.

I guess I didn't realize that people were manipulating their post to try and mislead people. I have saw people get mad at the management and threaten to delete all their post but to my knowledge they didn't follow through.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I see many facets to this situation, I will personally support the ADMIN's direction and changes.

However, I would like to suggest a review of the following thread as a GOOD EXAMPLE of when an OP might justifiably and permanently retain the ability to edit Post #1 of "his" thread as future contributors to the thread add to the tallies maintained in Post #1.....

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/58055-steel-soldiers-reserve-transportation-corps.html

Thank you for your consideration of this circumstance.

To plagiarize a famous quote:
"You can SATISFY some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not SATISFY all of the people all of the time. "

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE REAL VERSION: You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time. Abraham Lincoln, (attributed)
16th president of US (1809 - 1865) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mods, Admin, and Staff of this excellent website have a difficult task and responsibility to the THOUSANDS of users here. I pledge my support of their discisions.

John

Cucvnut

This is silly. really I cant go back and edit a thread in my build thread with out asking permission? Do you have your papers comrade?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I do believe thats the equivalent of playing the hitler card!:funny:

(I mean Godwin's law)

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can recall about 3 people that have ever "reserved" several post spaces to update a thread. That's an invalid issue. There is nothing wrong with other peoples posts between your posts.

Maybe we will extend the time to edit a post, to say, 30 days. Maybe.

This thread was an announcement, not a poll or discussion thread.

Here's a fact of life, change happens. How you deal with it, is up to you. I find it's best to try to work with it, not fight it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks