• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Threads

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We certainly appreciate your comments and input in this matter. We, as a group, decided that we had to do something to protect the longevity of threads in the forums. Too many members have become disenchanted with SS for whatever reason over the years and have then proceeded to delete all of their threads, which in turn deletes sometimes thousands of reply posts. A lot of good info has been wiped out forever because someone gets their drawers in a bind.

Hang in there and we will find a happy medium to suit most of the membership.

This is not about being able to lock threads down so they become the property of the site. You folks should keep in mind that because of Google caching along with other search engine and archiving site robots, your posts will most likely live on forever somewhere. Think before you post.

3dAngus

I would like to suggest, the deleting of the first post, should not delete the entire thread.
This is the manner in which it works now.
In this manner, the OP cannot delete the contributions by other members on the thread, or an entire thread by deleting that one post.

Last edited:

ABN173

I can recall about 3 people that have ever "reserved" several post spaces to update a thread. That's an invalid issue. There is nothing wrong with other peoples posts between your posts.

Maybe we will extend the time to edit a post, to say, 30 days. Maybe.

This thread was an announcement, not a poll or discussion thread.

Here's a fact of life, change happens. How you deal with it, is up to you. I find it's best to try to work with it, not fight it.
First off let me say that Steel Soldiers is an awesome site. Now my two cents: I have often gone back and added more information to my "post #1" just so relevant information would be seen there rather than post number 87. So yeah I kinda don't want to see this ability lost either.

As far as this change being just an announcement, it is a community of sorts as well and I'd like to think we have a way to voice our opinions at the very least. Of course it does not mean you guys that run the site have to bend to them but perhaps at least take them into consideration?

Take Facebook for example, how many of us are ready to dump that site due to all the forced changes? I know I am.

As far as the "reserved" spaces goes I only recently saw that and thought it would be a great idea for an upcoming build thread I planed on starting this Fall. So no sooner than I discovered that technique, it's soon to be no longer possible.

I will respect whatever you guys decide of course,
Dale

OD_Animal

Sounds like a party to me, I'll dust off my dictionary and just remember to do a few re-reads prior to clickin that 'post' button. If this will provide some accountability to those few dirtbags that are making the honor and integrity of the rest of our community appear questionable, I'm all for it.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There have been people who have deleted their 'build' threads because they were bored with it, or perhaps just as a whim. I disagree with those thoughts because it makes the entire site poorer. We are here to share information and inspire others. Deleting posts and threads accomplishes neither.2cents

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I joined in april 2009 there was a little over 10,000 members and the site was roughly 10 ywars old , that was a average of 1000 new members a year . Today thre are 35,589 as of this post , that is now a average of 1000 new members a month. The site is going through growing pains , Steelsoliders and the rest of the staff have the best interest of the in mind with the changes. I feel we should allow the changes to play out for awhile and see the outcome , they can always be changed back . It doesn't matter what other sites do , if it works for them great it dosen't it is what's needed here . Maybe what admin , needs to do is post chages and not allow comments for 30 days to see how it is working , and delete any threads complaining about changes during the 30 days of no comments. Let the admin keep working on improving the site instead of replying to 20 pages of complaints on the new change.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as this change being just an announcement, it is a community of sorts as well and I'd like to think we have a way to voice our opinions at the very least. Of course it does not mean you guys that run the site have to bend to them but perhaps at least take them into consideration?
Maybe I should have said, this recent change has been made AFTER considering how members have used/misused the site(in our eyes). AFTER considering several options, this is what we choose to do.

As of lately, this site has been fairly dynamic. This is a big change from how it was, when it was much smaller. Think, evolution.

Many, many members thoughts/suggestions are considered when we make changes.

ABN173

Maybe I should have said, this recent change has been made AFTER considering how members have used/misused the site(in our eyes). AFTER considering several options, this is what we choose to do.

As of lately, this site has been fairly dynamic. This is a big change from how it was, when it was much smaller. Think, evolution.

Many, many members thoughts/suggestions are considered when we make changes.
You guys are great! I'm sure there are reasons we don't know about and its always a few bad seeds that ruin things for everyone. Its a shame that misuse from a few others results in restrictions for everyone. I voiced my concern/opinion and that's it, I will stand behind whatever you guys decide. I don't envy your position and wish to thank all of you for your efforts to run this site. It is very well run and managed[thumbzup]

-Dale

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In an effort to alleviate some of the concerns voiced here in this thread, we have decided to extend the time frame to be able to edit your posts. We're setting it to 6 months. That should be plenty of time for most thread/posts.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also we're able to track edits in posts. So just because one might edit their posts, doesn't mean we won't know what they first posted...

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also we're able to track edits in posts. So just because one might edit their posts, doesn't mean we won't know what they first posted...
You've always been able to do that. I've had a certain Elvis loving mod change one of my whiny EUC posts back to what I originally wrote after my meds kicked in and I wanted to appear less whiny. Granted, it was funny, but it still made me look whiny.

So Dorthy, those ruby slippers have always had the power to track edits.

:driver:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I may offer a suggestion for those interested. If you are the first one to post a response in a new thread, quote the original poster so that the information is preserved. Also, if anyone is concerned over intellectual property ownership, it is my opinion that to preserve that ownership, please consider not posting it. The last thing Steel Soldiers needs is to get into litigation over ownership rights should a members get their britches in a bunch.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You've always been able to do that. I've had a certain Elvis loving mod change one of my whiny EUC posts back to what I originally wrote after my meds kicked in and I wanted to appear less whiny. Granted, it was funny, but it still made me look whiny.

So Dorthy, those ruby slippers have always had the power to track edits.

:driver:
I'll claim ignorance on my part in this matter. I simply didn't know the functionality existed since I've never had to deal with these issues on any other sites.

I'll crawl back under my rock now.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll claim ignorance on my part in this matter. I simply didn't know the functionality existed since I've never had to deal with these issues on any other sites.

I'll crawl back under my rock now.

Wait - WTF? You mod on OTHER sites? I though we were your one and only?

:mrgreen:

Danger Ranger

^^ Now I feel so used.....

I believe we should be able to edit our own posts, but I can see your points. I would like to be able to use the reserve posts idea for a build thread, but I can live without it. It would also be nice to go back and change an old post that had false info in it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
^^ Now I feel so used.....

I believe we should be able to edit our own posts, but I can see your points. I would like to be able to use the reserve posts idea for a build thread, but I can live without it. It would also be nice to go back and change an old post that had false info in it.
You can edit the post, at first it was set to one day. I just changed it to 6 months now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks