• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Time to operating Temp

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I was suprised at how fast my truck reached operating temp this morning when I took it for a spin at 20 degrees and am curious how long it takes different trucks to reach operating temp in various conditions.

this morning I was at 180 after 5 minutes of idle and 5 miles at 20 degrees.
I have nothing but a winch, and bridge plate, blocking the radiator.
I do not have the heater installed.

91W350

My 72 would not get there without a radiator cover below 20 degrees. My 68 sounds like your truck. My 71 must need a new thermostat, it never gets warm when it is cold out.

rlwm211

If I start my deuce and let it idle, or run at just above idle, it takes at least 30 minutes to warm up.

If I start it and after a minute or two start towards town on the flats it takes about 5 miles to get to at least 160.

If I start my deuce and let it idle and then head up the steep hill behind my house it is warm by the time I get to the top. This is about 3.5 miles but some of it is 3rd gear or even 2nd that is how steep it is and since I have to turn over 90 degrees to get on the road I don't get a run at it.

If I am driving my deuce at highway speeds it holds a pretty steady temp between 160-180 depending on the grade and the ambient temps. I have seen nearly 200, but that was after a long grade pulling a trailer in 90+ degree heat.

My radiator is pretty new and clean so bugs or dirt are not a factor.

RL

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks