• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Time to operating Temp

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I was suprised at how fast my truck reached operating temp this morning when I took it for a spin at 20 degrees and am curious how long it takes different trucks to reach operating temp in various conditions.

this morning I was at 180 after 5 minutes of idle and 5 miles at 20 degrees.
I have nothing but a winch, and bridge plate, blocking the radiator.
I do not have the heater installed.

91W350

My 72 would not get there without a radiator cover below 20 degrees. My 68 sounds like your truck. My 71 must need a new thermostat, it never gets warm when it is cold out.

rlwm211

If I start my deuce and let it idle, or run at just above idle, it takes at least 30 minutes to warm up.

If I start it and after a minute or two start towards town on the flats it takes about 5 miles to get to at least 160.

If I start my deuce and let it idle and then head up the steep hill behind my house it is warm by the time I get to the top. This is about 3.5 miles but some of it is 3rd gear or even 2nd that is how steep it is and since I have to turn over 90 degrees to get on the road I don't get a run at it.

If I am driving my deuce at highway speeds it holds a pretty steady temp between 160-180 depending on the grade and the ambient temps. I have seen nearly 200, but that was after a long grade pulling a trailer in 90+ degree heat.

My radiator is pretty new and clean so bugs or dirt are not a factor.

RL

Last edited: