• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tips to short list HMMWVs up for auction on Gov Planet

orgnal

The picture he posted is the General Engine Products engine. You can tell by the long rectangular shape of the sticker. (and it says General Engine Products ;-) ) They are the improved 6.5L engines that Am General is building. The bought the rights from GM and fixed some of the known issues.

The GEP engines are the ones you want.

http://www.amgeneral.com/vehicles/gep/
Warthog, is this the 6500 optimizer engine ?? Can this be turbocharged ??

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes on the Optimizer but may depend on when it was built. There is a date code molded into the block. I will see if I still have the details on what the codes mean.

As far as I know the blocks are the same between the turbo and non-turbo. The heads may be different. You might try contacting GEP and asking. Stonepicker1 bought a new engine from them. He may know the answer.

Lawdog734

I'm writing this as a newbie myself to the whole auction process. I've had other mil vehicles in the past, but they've all be private purchase. I think to be armed with knowledge beforehand will save you grief down the road so I've answered your questions as well as added my .02 cents in anywhere else.

- Generally speaking, the 6.5's tend to be a little more attractive than the 6.2's. Why? Because the 6.2 is the original engine and the 6.5 isn't a unit level change out, so the truck likely went through some sort of depot rebuild at some point in it's life. Some also tend to think that it's a more powerful engine, which really is a moot point as it isn't terribly so. There are plenty of great 6.2's out there and crappy 6.5's though, so pay attention to the inspection report and videos.

- I wouldn't pay too much attention to the mileage and instead look closely at the pictures. It's well known that speedo's get swapped out with no regard for the previous mileage.

- Running vehicles go for more than non-runners because as Sandman said - it runs. This is reflected in the starting bid prices on GP - $7500 for runners vs. $5000 for non runners. I personally would stay away from anything that says "started with ether", or anything like that as that's not good for diesels. $5000 for a non runner could be something as simple as replacing missing parts - or it could mean a blown engine. I wouldn't necessarily be afraid of a vehicle that needed to be jumped, but they sell these as running vehicles with a higher starting bid price than non-runners. That's the risk you take I guess. Even a running engine is likely to require even minor work. Mine had no power steering fluid as a result of a blown hose. I replaced the hose and refilled/burped the power steering and it's running great again.

- The 4 man trucks will generally sell for more. Why? Because most folks want more than just a 2 man pickup. They want to take family/friends for rides, etc. Trucks that are more complete will sell more than incomplete trucks as it means there is less for the new buyer to likely buy. Would you want to buy 4 soft doors, a top and seats if you didn't have to? In all likelihood though, the complete trucks sell for a good bit more and the cost savings over buying one without these parts can easily mean purchasing NOS parts instead of the well used parts you'll likely get with the complete truck.

I think it's important when looking into this to do your research and to check your expectations. It's not likely that you'll get a perfect truck by any means - those that look pristine are generally selling for a very pretty penny. Those that are stripped down go for less, but need work. When I selected mine, I did it knowing that I have regular access to Humvee parts, so my highest priority was a running engine and a straight body. I paid attention to the videos posted for my particular truck and noted that it had the 6.5 in it with no blowback from what I could see. The odometer said 37K, which is probably correct for this particular engine - but again, pay no mind to it. My body needs paint - but it's straight. Mine is an M1038 and it came with the windshield, "B" pillar and 4 seats that were sunfaded and torn. It appeared to be a good running truck, so I placed my bid - and actually won it for just over the starting bid. With the exception of the Power Steering situation, the fluids all looked terrific (oil filter shows that it was last changed in November 2014) and were at the correct levels. I'm still tinkering with a few things here and there - but I really have no complaints.

Humvee.jpg

While I've seen plenty of posts griping about GP, I have to say that my experience was pretty painless. They answered the phone when I called with questions and my EUC approval was in just shy of 60 days - even picking it up was painless for me with no weird hours or anything like that.

With as configurable as these trucks are, I wouldn't fret about what the configuration of the truck is that you're getting - just make sure that the condition is something that you're willing to tackle though. I'm not a mechanic, but am a good parts changer as a result of studying the tech manuals but even still have questions from time to time. It behooves you to look through the prior history of the forum and to check the manuals first as chances are it's come up before. Most are very happy to answer your questions even if you get the occasional craggy old fart that wants to tell you that it's been answered a 100x before or to study the tech manual.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes on the Optimizer but may depend on when it was built. There is a date code molded into the block. I will see if I still have the details on what the codes mean.

As far as I know the blocks are the same between the turbo and non-turbo. The heads may be different. You might try contacting GEP and asking. Stonepicker1 bought a new engine from them. He may know the answer.
The 6.5 turbocharged engines for HMMWVs always have different heads from NA.

orgnal

I'm writing this as a newbie myself to the whole auction process. I've had other mil vehicles in the past, but they've all be private purchase. I think to be armed with knowledge beforehand will save you grief down the road so I've answered your questions as well as added my .02 cents in anywhere else.

- Generally speaking, the 6.5's tend to be a little more attractive than the 6.2's. Why? Because the 6.2 is the original engine and the 6.5 isn't a unit level change out, so the truck likely went through some sort of depot rebuild at some point in it's life. Some also tend to think that it's a more powerful engine, which really is a moot point as it isn't terribly so. There are plenty of great 6.2's out there and crappy 6.5's though, so pay attention to the inspection report and videos.

- I wouldn't pay too much attention to the mileage and instead look closely at the pictures. It's well known that speedo's get swapped out with no regard for the previous mileage.

- Running vehicles go for more than non-runners because as Sandman said - it runs. This is reflected in the starting bid prices on GP - $7500 for runners vs. $5000 for non runners. I personally would stay away from anything that says "started with ether", or anything like that as that's not good for diesels. $5000 for a non runner could be something as simple as replacing missing parts - or it could mean a blown engine. I wouldn't necessarily be afraid of a vehicle that needed to be jumped, but they sell these as running vehicles with a higher starting bid price than non-runners. That's the risk you take I guess. Even a running engine is likely to require even minor work. Mine had no power steering fluid as a result of a blown hose. I replaced the hose and refilled/burped the power steering and it's running great again.

- The 4 man trucks will generally sell for more. Why? Because most folks want more than just a 2 man pickup. They want to take family/friends for rides, etc. Trucks that are more complete will sell more than incomplete trucks as it means there is less for the new buyer to likely buy. Would you want to buy 4 soft doors, a top and seats if you didn't have to? In all likelihood though, the complete trucks sell for a good bit more and the cost savings over buying one without these parts can easily mean purchasing NOS parts instead of the well used parts you'll likely get with the complete truck.

I think it's important when looking into this to do your research and to check your expectations. It's not likely that you'll get a perfect truck by any means - those that look pristine are generally selling for a very pretty penny. Those that are stripped down go for less, but need work. When I selected mine, I did it knowing that I have regular access to Humvee parts, so my highest priority was a running engine and a straight body. I paid attention to the videos posted for my particular truck and noted that it had the 6.5 in it with no blowback from what I could see. The odometer said 37K, which is probably correct for this particular engine - but again, pay no mind to it. My body needs paint - but it's straight. Mine is an M1038 and it came with the windshield, "B" pillar and 4 seats that were sunfaded and torn. It appeared to be a good running truck, so I placed my bid - and actually won it for just over the starting bid. With the exception of the Power Steering situation, the fluids all looked terrific (oil filter shows that it was last changed in November 2014) and were at the correct levels. I'm still tinkering with a few things here and there - but I really have no complaints.

With as configurable as these trucks are, I wouldn't fret about what the configuration of the truck is that you're getting - just make sure that the condition is something that you're willing to tackle though. I'm not a mechanic, but am a good parts changer as a result of studying the tech manuals but even still have questions from time to time. It behooves you to look through the prior history of the forum and to check the manuals first as chances are it's come up before. Most are very happy to answer your questions even if you get the occasional craggy old fart that wants to tell you that it's been answered a 100x before or to study the tech manual.
lawdog734, Thank you for the detailed response ! I really appreciate it !

kojo0513

Yea!! Great write up. I wish I had the time to dig into more of "What to look for" before pulling the trigger on bidding on one.

That being said, I got really lucky. The rig looked pretty terrible...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444061930.898264.jpg

Low starting bid and ended up winning it. It was a runner, and at that time, that's all I cared about.

Once I received it, did the fluid checks / replenishment / replacement , and realized that it was pretty up to date.

Spend a little money on cosmetic stuff like seats, doors, lights, but that's really about it. One coat of Behr paint later...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444062071.247653.jpg

If I end up buying a second one, I know what to look for now. Again, I think I lucked out on this one!

ClarkeF

Warthog, is this the 6500 optimizer engine ?? Can this be turbocharged ??
different heads (pre-combustion cup different), different injector pump, and different compression ratio. The 6.5's have the boss you could drill and mill for the oil passage for the turbo, but flipping one to turbo would be a lot of work. If you need more power the fuel injection pump can be turned up 1/8th of a turn to give it more pep.

Frankly the truck's primary limit is the 3-speed tranny of the A0 and A1 versions. Nothing like screaming down the highway at 60 - two hundred RPM off the redline.... It sucks.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello everyone, bought an 87 6.2 4 seater a few days ago from govplanet for 11k. Super excited to pick it up after EUC clears. Since the pickup location is relatively close I was planning on slapping Farm Use tags on it and driving it home, anybody have any experience/problems doing this? I assume since the hold harmless form was filled out they hopefully could care less how you remove vehicles from thier site.
No, they do care. You need to go back and read the rules for that location or verify with GP. Due to the Off-Road Use Only paperwork, you may be REQUIRED to trailer/tow it off base. Remember, GP is employed by the Gov, they can loose their contract if they don't comply with the rules/regs that the gov requires them to follow.

orgnal

Hello everyone, bought an 87 6.2 4 seater a few days ago from govplanet for 11k. Super excited to pick it up after EUC clears. Since the pickup location is relatively close I was planning on slapping Farm Use tags on it and driving it home, anybody have any experience/problems doing this? I assume since the hold harmless form was filled out they hopefully could care less how you remove vehicles from thier site.
Congratulations !

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

Bikeman has given you some sound advise.

Now to your question.

Please review the stickies (and the forum rules) in the HMMWV section about titling of the newly released HMMWVs. The trucks are being released by the DLA (military) with the "off-road use only" restriction. Until the DLA changes the restriction this site will not allow the discussion of how to drive these trucks for "on road use". Any discussion of that nature will get you banned from the site.

Being that this was your first post, I will just give you a warning.

I know this sounds like a very stupid rule but this site is monitored by outside individuals and organizations and we what to be very clear on what is discussed here.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

Bikeman has given you some sound advise.

Now to your question.

Please review the stickies (and the forum rules) in the HMMWV section about titling of the newly released HMMWVs. The trucks are being released by the DLA (military) with the "off-road use only" restriction. Until the DLA changes the restriction this site will not allow the discussion of how to drive these trucks for "on road use". Any discussion of that nature will get you banned from the site.

Being that this was your first post, I will just give you a warning.

I know this sounds like a very stupid rule but this site is monitored by outside individuals and organizations and we what to be very clear on what is discussed here.
Why exactly are they restricted?