• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To get my HMMWV (M1097A2) in good running order... need help.

DEA AK

what is the best way to clean the top of the dash to remove all the dust/dirt/gunk so its clean before I paint it? I am sure this truck is like many others when it was received from gov planet... dust/dirt in every nook and cranny. I could do it the military way and just paint over rust and dirt but that wouldn't be good. I could spray cleaner and brush it down but I would be concerned about water getting into places it shouldn't... gauges, heater vents/tubes, etc..
thanks

DEA AK

Anyone have or know what a creak sound under or around the driver foot well might be? I get a light metallic creaking sound every so often when going over different levels of terrain. I've checked below, steering components and other things seem tight. If I had to guess, to me it sounds like the body is creaking/rubbing or something along those lines. Nothing with a heavy metal sound, more of a light creaking sound. Thanks.

DEA AK

Did you check the exhaust heat reflector?
I did grab most everything down there. I guess to be more accurate it would sound like a medium metal sound. Something like the aluminum body might make. Some creak or random creakiness.

Do these trucks make that kind of noises even if the truck is solid? I don't have any other references to go from. As far as I know it could even be the driver seat... I just thought of that, heck maybe that is it? :)

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some have a exhaust shield on the crossover pipe, The passenger side exhaust manifold has a heat shield ( Mine had a mounting tab broken off. Did not rattle but could have been an issue), and all the mounting brackets on the exhaust down range from the crossover should be looked at.

I also found a broken spring close to the exhaust hanger by the transfer case that pulled back a cable.

Everything can be suspect underneath.

DEA AK

Some have a exhaust shield on the crossover pipe, The passenger side exhaust manifold has a heat shield ( Mine had a mounting tab broken off. Did not rattle but could have been an issue), and all the mounting brackets on the exhaust down range from the crossover should be looked at.

I also found a broken spring close to the exhaust hanger by the transfer case that pulled back a cable.

Everything can be suspect underneath.
I do need to check more places, even if it sounds like its below, it could be coming from above... I guess I need to drive it more to try and track it down... :-/

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Not sure why they are called HUMVEE's

Never heard a hum. Always something clinking, clanging and banging. Heard a buzz and that was the cut in the flywheel / starter shield touching.

What's a VEE sound like? CAMO

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have or know what a creak sound under or around the driver foot well might be? I get a light metallic creaking sound every so often when going over different levels of terrain. I've checked below, steering components and other things seem tight. If I had to guess, to me it sounds like the body is creaking/rubbing or something along those lines. Nothing with a heavy metal sound, more of a light creaking sound. Thanks.
The whole body is moving and making those noises. Mine does it every time i enter a gas station or there are shifting road levels. Specially on the left front side. It is inherent to these trucks. It sounds exactly as a submarine diving.

DEA AK

The whole body is moving and making those noises. Mine does it every time i enter a gas station or there are shifting road levels. Specially on the left front side. It is inherent to these trucks. It sounds exactly as a submarine diving.
I moved the driver seat when it was parked in the garage, I heard some metallic noise... not sure if it was what I heard but I am glad that some of you are saying they're kind of noisy trucks.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're off of paved roads all the time, then it would make sense to run lower pressures like that all the time, but on paved roads at higher speeds you're going to kill your tires pretty quickly at those pressures.

For on road use you're probably looking at 25+ PSI empty, and 30+ loaded. I know my M1123likes to be 35ish unloaded, and rears at 40-45 when loaded.

DEA AK

If you're off of paved roads all the time, then it would make sense to run lower pressures like that all the time, but on paved roads at higher speeds you're going to kill your tires pretty quickly at those pressures.

For on road use you're probably looking at 25+ PSI empty, and 30+ loaded. I know my M1123likes to be 35ish unloaded, and rears at 40-45 when loaded.
Thank you, I appreciate your help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks