• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To get my HMMWV (M1097A2) in good running order... need help.

peggrw

It actually turned out to be the driver side hood bumper. Just to test it, I put a thin piece of cardboard there and it stopped. So, I'll need to figure out how to keep the noise stopped forever :)
Was scrolling to the end of this post to tell you the sound was likely the drivers side rubber bumper that the hood sits on. Chased the same horrible squeaking sound for a day until I found it. Put a little grease on that rubber bumper and the sound went away. Three new rubber bumpers are about $29.

DEA AK

Was scrolling to the end of this post to tell you the sound was likely the drivers side rubber bumper that the hood sits on. Chased the same horrible squeaking sound for a day until I found it. Put a little grease on that rubber bumper and the sound went away. Three new rubber bumpers are about $29.
I did see a few, even hummer h1 bumpers which had a rounded top... those might be a good idea.

DEA AK

Question for anyone...

I was running my m1097a2 without a brake switch (and therefore the tranny plug that is connected via the brake switch)... it would shift just fine.

I plug in the tranny plug (whatever you call it) and it goes into limp mode. Unplug the from the brake switch and it shifts fine.

Anyone have this issue before?

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question for anyone...

I was running my m1097a2 without a brake switch (and therefore the tranny plug that is connected via the brake switch)... it would shift just fine.

I plug in the tranny plug (whatever you call it) and it goes into limp mode. Unplug the from the brake switch and it shifts fine.

Torque converter or trans.ission switch not adjusted/set up correctly?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question for anyone...

What code/codes does the TCM report?
If you are not already you need to start reading the codes and using the troubleshooting supplement.
I would venture to say you are getting a 37 or a 38, brake switch stuck on or off, you are likely not driving it far enough to get a code with the switch disconnected, you should eventually get a code and the trans should drop into limp mode with the switch disconnected but as the supplement states the criteria must be met 7 times before dropping into limp mode.

DEA AK

What code/codes does the TCM report?
If you are not already you need to start reading the codes and using the troubleshooting supplement.
I would venture to say you are getting a 37 or a 38, brake switch stuck on or off, you are likely not driving it far enough to get a code with the switch disconnected, you should eventually get a code and the trans should drop into limp mode with the switch disconnected but as the supplement states the criteria must be met 7 times before dropping into limp mode.
My trans light has never worked, I will have to pull it to see if its burned out or if there's another issue. thank you

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My trans light has never worked, I will have to pull it to see if its burned out or if there's another issue. thank you
Top priority for anyone with a 4L80E should be a working trans light, it is absolutely essential in troubleshooting and helping to insure you do not fry the transmission.

DEA AK

Just heard about parasitic draws on vehicles and one video mentioned at some rate its okay or whatnot.

As shown in the pic, I have a kill switch in between my batteries. I tested it today by removing the neg cable from the rear battery. With the kill switch open (no power to truck), it read -.11 Then, with the kill switch closed (power to truck), it read -.26

Questions are...

a. Apparently my kill switch isn't doing its job if I still have a draw? So I must need to place the kill switch someplace else?

b. How much of a draw is okay to have? Any?

Thank you,
David

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just heard about parasitic draws on vehicles and one video mentioned at some rate its okay or whatnot.

As shown in the pic, I have a kill switch in between my batteries. I tested it today by removing the neg cable from the rear battery. With the kill switch open (no power to truck), it read -.11 Then, with the kill switch closed (power to truck), it read -.26

Questions are...

a. Apparently my kill switch isn't doing its job if I still have a draw? So I must need to place the kill switch someplace else?

b. How much of a draw is okay to have? Any?

Thank you,
David
To completely isolate the batteries it takes two switches, you can leave the one between the batteries and add one to the 12V leads that connect between the batteries

peggrw

Never thought about that connection, that make sense - thank you very much.
Yes, the newer trucks are a different animal. My 1993 M1097 doesn't have a dual voltage regulator, or a Transmission Control Module that requires 12V center-tap. I checked for parasitic draw a couple days ago given winter is now here, and because batteries will be batteries. Only measured 4 milli-amps. Basically nothing. Even when I re-connect my Orion 24V to 12V converter I only get 10 milliamps. The converter is only enabled with the run switch but a tiny amount of current is still used when off. The average car will use 5-10 times that much when off because current is required to operate the key and security systems, keep the radio presets enabled, and other necessary computer functions.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Are you using the mulitmeter correctly? Drawing shows meter selected in the 10 amp range (ok), test leads not position in the 10 amp jack.

On the surface (picture) something not right in the procedure. (generally to measure current) If your are using your Camotek controller? off is OFF. NO leakage drain there.

That's my to cents worth or volts, CAMO

Last edited:

DEA AK

Yes, the newer trucks are a different animal. My 1993 M1097 doesn't have a dual voltage regulator, or a Transmission Control Module that requires 12V center-tap. I checked for parasitic draw a couple days ago given winter is now here, and because batteries will be batteries. Only measured 4 milli-amps. Basically nothing. Even when I re-connect my Orion 24V to 12V converter I only get 10 milliamps. The converter is only enabled with the run switch but a tiny amount of current is still used when off. The average car will use 5-10 times that much when off because current is required to operate the key and security systems, keep the radio presets enabled, and other necessary computer functions.
I wasn't expecting any draw since these things are so 'mechanical' but I am totally new and learn new stuff about them as I go along. Thank you!

DEA AK

Are you using the mulitmeter correctly? Drawing shows meter selected in the 10 amp range (ok), test leads not position in the 10 amp jack.

On the surface (picture) something not right in the procedure. (generally to measure current) If your are using your Camotek controller? off is OFF. NO leakage drain there.

That's my to cents worth or volts, CAMO
You're completely right, error on my part, I looked into it some more and after doing the meter test and following instructions to test the truck, the truck actually reads 0.00 with the kill switch on and off.

DEA AK

Someone deleted my other post... some people...

I have the same noise and was wondering what it is. I have bled the ps a few times, and I still have it.

Noise starts as he drives and as pretty evident at .40

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Someone deleted my other post... some people...

I have the same noise and was wondering what it is. I have bled the ps a few times, and I still have it.

Noise starts as he drives and as pretty evident at .40

If it is the whine sound I think that is normal. IMO Listen to this>

If it is not whining and bumping... it is not a HumV, CAMO

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks