• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Total destruction of all End-Use items (end of trucks???)

hobie237

You guys crack me up, I've never come across a group so obsessed with doomsday, except for maybe a few religious cults. It seems like every couple weeks a new thread pops up predicting that the end is near, and I guess by taking that approach, it will ensure that at least one of the prediction threads will be correct.

Anyway, here are my observations and commentary:

1. I don't know what any MV owners could possibly do that would be so irresponsible as to get the supply of surplus stuff get cut off, save for maybe buying up the stuff in bulk and then shipping it to countries hostile to the US. What else could owners do? Go offroad illegally? People do that in non military trucks all the time. It's not like MVs are high on the list for commissions of felonies or high-speed chases, either.

2. Making this an issue about "libs" is asinine. Neocons have shown at least as much hatred for personal freedom as libs ever have.

3. The posts about the government coming to collect the trucks are even more asinine. There are just too many out there, and plenty of them have changed ownership numerous times since being sold surplus. I don't think anybody wants to take the time to track them all down.

Most importantly:

4. The military vehicle community will NEVER generate enough support, in and of itself, to prevent a change like this from happening, if the government was determined to make such a change. Given past experiences and logical deduction, it's a safe assumption that the MV community will resist the measure, and any decisions made will bear that in mind.

As such, the MV community needs the support of the general citizenry of the country. Why should they help? Simple- the government does not own these trucks. The government doesn't own the radios, the gear, anything. That's right, THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T OWN SQUAT. YOU do. I do. The tax paying citizenry as a whole does. Period. It's public property, bought and paid for by the taxpayers.

I can understand not wanting to release Abrams tanks, guided missiles, battleships and F-16s to the public. I get that. I don't think the public as a whole wants them floating around, either. But for the love of all things holy, there's no reason for trucks that are essentially the same as civilian versions, or as harmless as a deuce and a half (seriously, given the trucks that are commercially available, a deuce or five-ton isn't all THAT impressive that I'd sweat about them floating around) to be destroyed. Taxpayer dollars paid for them, plain and simple, and the taxpayers should at least have a chance to recover the property that they paid for and put it to use.

dittle

I just talked to a site rep from GL and he said they haven't heard anything about this yet. He did also say that here in the next month or so his site should be going through 100+ Deuces and trailers on auction.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just talked to a site rep from GL and he said they haven't heard anything about this yet. He did also say that here in the next month or so his site should be going through 100+ Deuces and trailers on auction.

Same thing here. Not that many trucks but truckloads are arriving today. It's business as usual, here.

reb87

I picked up some stuff and looked at my m1009 while at fort Riley today and the guy there hadnt heard anything. My m1009 started up and drove ok but the front pass tire is shot so I will have to change it when my euc clears.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of trucks currently showing up on GL, over 150, and over 350 trailers of all types. Not to mention the ongoing supply of ones coming out of GSA. I call :tin hat:

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll tell you this: Once a truck leaves DRMS, it takes AT LEAST 30-60 days, sometimes longer, to get listed on GL. Everything being listed now (and probably for the next month) on GL was already out of the DRMS system before the code was changed. There's really no arguing that the code has changed, so I guess we are speculating and doubting it will affect truck availability.

I'm not sure the change will have any negative effect, but it sure doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy...

gerrykan

I'll tell you this: Once a truck leaves DRMS, it takes AT LEAST 30-60 days, sometimes longer, to get listed on GL.
The trucks in Jeff City MO that closed January 8, 2009 said in the description, "Started and ran 10 minutes 10-08-2008", 3 monthes earlier.
I picked up a piece of equipment from Fort leonard Wood MO a few years ago. There were about six nice M35A2's in the yard. I was told they were to be sold by GL, but other agencies had first choice. Several monthes later, only 2 remained to be sold on GL.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well......... I just picked up the phone today and called GL HQ in Arizona today.
The rep I spoke to said that as far as she knew GL would continue to sell tactical vehicles and parts without any "demill" requirements.
So...was she lying to me...were her bosses lying to her...or is this just some big cosmic FUBAR.
DAMIFINO:?:

dittle

I would be suprised if this does occur that they would let it get out to much ahead of time (i.e end of truck supply), or if they even let it filter down to the GL employees below manager level.

OD_Coyote

Well......... I just picked up the phone today and called GL HQ in Arizona today.
The rep I spoke to said that as far as she knew GL would continue to sell tactical vehicles and parts without any "demill" requirements.
So...was she lying to me...were her bosses lying to her...or is this just some big cosmic FUBAR.
DAMIFINO:?:
I would have to go with cosmic FUBAR myself or perhaps a Charlie Foxtrot.

mistaken1

I would be suprised if this does occur that they would let it get out to much ahead of time (i.e end of truck supply), or if they even let it filter down to the GL employees below manager level.

If we can go online and look up an NSN to see the code change so can any high/low level GL employee. If there are no more vehicles coming out of DRMS/DRMO for sale as whole vehicles, as a business, I believe GL would love to get that info out as it will drive up the cost (and their premium) of their remaining inventory.

I would think the big dealers would be torn in getting this info out. Keep it quiet in an attempt to buy up as much remaining GL stock as possible at the lowest price possible. On the other hand if there are soon going to be no more whole trucks coming out of GL then the dealers could advertise this fact and like any other commodity where the government creates an artificial shortage the price of that commodity goes up.

Perhaps the web site we are referencing is incorrect due to typos or incorrect database dips but the real documents coming out with the vehicles indicate the demil code remains unchanged?

https://www.webflis.dlis.dla.mil/WEBFLIS/pub/pub_search.aspx

Name: DEMILITARIZATION INTEGRITY CODE Definition THE CODE THAT REPRESENTS THE RECOMMENDED DEMIL CODE'S STATUS AND RELATIONSHIP WITH DEMILITARIZATION (DEMIL) CODE (SEE DRN 0167). VALID VALUES CAN BE FOUND IN VOLUME 10, TABLE 216. CodeDefinition 3CRITICAL FSC/FSG MLI OR SENSITIVE CCLI. REQUIRES MUTILATION WORLDWIDE.

Attachments

Last edited:

jpcj-7

mistaken1 makes some very good points! Maybe we are getting to worried about nothing. Seems like it would be 'hitting the fan' at higher levels if this was all true.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone thought of it this way? Maybe what we THINK is going to happen is all due to emissions? State and Fed. govts. are determined to remove the older cars...and diesel powered vehicles from the road. Not because they're tactical trucks, but because of what comes out the tail pipe. NOx and PM are the big ones now. Anyone ever have their MV sniffed to see what comes out? I'll bet the NOx are through the roof, and, you guys with deuces, 800 and 900 series trucks can SEE the PM when you drive.

hobie237

The federal government's primary focus in getting older vehicles off the road is to keep the auto industry in business. You're living in California, and yeah, in California, they're obsessed with getting old cars off the road for emissions reasons, but in the rest of the country, it just isn't so.

Pawnshop

I don't know about the other yards but most of the trucks coming out of Ft. Sam Houston seem to have been recently brought up to roadworthy spec by the motorpool just before they were to be donated, then sold on GL if they don't get picked from the donation stream. Is it possible the Army is running out of supplies and techs trained to keep the older vehicles in "safe" running form so they are not going to do the work, and don't want to sell potentialy "unsafe" vehicles to the public? They cut up M151 & M151A1s before disposal for safety reasons. Just a thought...

I had a kid tell me that he was one of the last in his maint unit at Ft. Hood who still knew how to wrench on a Deuce, the newer recruits are not trained to work on the older stuff.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks