• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Total destruction of all End-Use items (end of trucks???)

gerrykan

The Gov't has no obligation/reason to notify GL.
GL sells what DRMS sends it, and sent items vary in quantity and type.
As said before, who knows what will happen.

tmbrwolf

Well folks, I found out today that the DRMO's are to look at the trucks with a DIC of 3 and if deemed "safe" they will be allowed to release them for reissue to FFP and LESO etc. Also they will go the GSA's excess express as excess / surplus. I don't know at this point if they will go to GL or not. So the ball has been dropped into the lap of the local DRMO, as short handed as the DRMO's are I don't think this will necessarily be a good or bad thing, however if it were me and I didn't have the personnel or time to check the "safety" of the vehicle, I might default to none being "safe".

Michael

Thanks for the update, but I have to say that it doesn't make any since to me. What are they suppose to do, look into each truck's soul and decide if it is going to allow itself to be used against its creator?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well somebody must think the end is near. I was bidding on a deuce w/w and it jumped to almost $3500 immediately. Too rich for my blood especially since it was too far away to preview.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am happy to report that I will have some very good news to report in the next couple of weeks.

The short story is that wheel tactical vehicles will continue to be surplussed and that as far as this issue goes (the change in code from 3 to 6), we are good.

I will report back when I have more.

Michael

I am happy to report that I will have some very good news to report in the next couple of weeks.

The short story is that wheel tactical vehicles will continue to be surplussed and that as far as this issue goes (the change in code from 3 to 6), we are good.

I will report back when I have more.
Please don't limit this to just the HMV itself. This change also relates to parts for the vehicle. Also a lot of us collect other tactical gear in addition to the HMV. I also like communication and field medical gear.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Please don't limit this to just the HMV itself. This change also relates to parts for the vehicle. Also a lot of us collect other tactical gear in addition to the HMV. I also like communication and field medical gear.
We didn't discuss this portion, I will touch base and report back. Give me some time.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
For those of you that do not know, David Welch is the President of the MVPA.

When this reclassification came down, I asked if anyone knew David or any of the other MVPA board members and asked if someone could contact them. I didn't want to do this as I barely knew David (I met him briefly at Aberdeen in 2007 but I doubt he remembered me). When no one did so, I sent an email to David basically letting him know about this.

I didn't know what the response would be, but I couldn't have been more pleased. He called me that day or the next (can't remember) and let me know that the MVPA did have lawyers and a lobbyist and they would get right on it. David continued to call me almost weekly, keeping me abreast of the developments and changes. We agreed that once they knew exactly what was going on, we would post and let everyone know the outcome.

The timeline of code changes and the what and why of it can be found on the MVPA website at the link David posted above, please go take a look at it.

On another note, I think everyone should offer David a thanks for his efforts. He expended a significant amount of time on the phone putting all of this together. What happened was that we caught this code change almost the instant that it occurred, so a lot of people "in the system" weren't even aware of it yet and we were already on it. So it took a while to sort out and find out what was going on.

Going further, David and I spoke at length about the future of the hobby and where the MVPA is. He assured me that the MVPA is interested in M-series MV's and they know and accept that they are the future of the hobby. They want to be relevant to us M-series guys, to the point that David asked me "What would make the MVPA relevant to you guys?" (paraphrasing).

We talked about Army Motors and Supply Line and the articles contained within. He explained that Army Motors is supposed to be almost a research paper quality, with a heavy emphasis on history and usage by the miitary. Supply Line is supposed to be a newsletter of the associated groups, showing what they are doing, their events, etc.

I can see why Army Motors would be light on M-series content. Let's look at say, the Mopar musclecar restoration hobby. Serious research into their history and the correct way to restore them did not begin in earnest until the 1980's. As the 1980's and 1990's rolled along, more and more research allowed restorations to continue to improve.

That's where the M-series hobby is now. Deuce and halves are transitioning from "just used trucks" to pieces of historical value. So now, the fun begins. And as more is learned about how they were built, and the shared library of knowledge builds, more in-depth articles can be written.

We (the hobby) need people to step up to the plate-David Doyle can't do it all alone. As this happens, I am confident we will see M-series literature growing.

David also mentioned that the MVPA has a very good rate on insurance for associate groups for events. So if you put on a rally and want to have insurance so if someone gets hurt, you are covered, this would be a great way to get it.

In closing, I was really floored by the time and attention that David paid to this problem. I was impressed with his answers and the discussion we had about the hobby and the our future. I hope you guys will look at the MVPA in a new light or at least cut them slack.

Thanks

Clint

54reo

Absolutely, great job Clinto! Thank you for taking the lead on this and keeping us in the eye of the hobby.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just so you all know not all us liberals are wanting to get rid of huge trucks, guns, or meat:-D
What does this have to do with the subject at hand? It borders on breaking the rules and it is this kind of stuff that gets people stired up. I'll leave it at that. :wink:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes You can allow all the people and politcos whose support this into your country.:-D

jth3rd

INFORMATION PAPER
SUBJECT:​
Demilitarization of Demilitarization Code B and Code Q items.
Purpose: Provide information relevant to the events and resulting actions that could
impact the future sale of surplus Department of Defense (DOD) materiel.

INFORMATION:​
•​
Spring/Summer 2008 a number of incidents occurred regarding the improper
transfer of sensitive military materiel. The main focus was materiel related to
the F-14 fighter aircraft.

•​
Late summer/early fall 2008 DOD suspended all transfer/donation/sales/
(TD&S) for Demilitarization (DEMIL) Code B and Code Q items. This broadbrush
approach included all tactical vehicles, powered and towed. DOD
materiel management commands were directed to review all assigned
materiel DEMIL codes and Integrity Codes (IC).

•​
DEMIL Code B Munitions List Items (MLI) Trade Security Controls (TSC)
required at disposition.

•​
DEMIL Code Q Strategic List Items (SLI) non-MLI items identified and
licensed by the Department of Commerce Control List (CCL). Trade Security
Controls required at disposition.

•​
In addition to the DEMIL code of B or Q all materiel has an assigned IC. The
IC determines the validity of the DEMIL code. IC 3 requires worldwide
mutilation of the materiel, IC 6 only requires mutilation when the materiel is
located overseas.

•​
Early November 2008 Office of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense
issued an ACTION MEMO directing policy changes to tighten DEMIL control
procedures.

•​
Mid-November 2008 Office of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for
Logistics and Materiel Readiness directs the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA)
to implement a number of process and procedure changes to mitigate future
security risk.

•​
Late December 2008 DLA issues specific implementation directions to all
Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service (DRMS) activities regarding the
processing of DEMIL B and Q items. Excerpt, sales are not authorized for
DEMIL Code B property. Serviceable DEMIL Code Q property with any IC
code other than IC6 is not authorized for sale except for those DEMIL Q items
specifically exempted.

•​
Early February 2009 DLA implements a detailed Concept of Operations plan
to deal with DEMIL B and Q items. Excerpt, certain categories of DEMIL Q
items are considered to pose no risk to national security and are excluded
from this process. They will continue to be disposed of under existing disposal
procedures. Specified rolling stock after removal or demilitarization of any
DEMIL required item, part component, accessory and attachments, armed,
armored vehicles and tracked combat vehicles are excluded from this
exception.

•​
Example: Truck, cargo, 2½-ton, W/W, WO/W, NSN 2320-00-0771-616,
DEMIL Code Q Integrity Code 3. The majority of tactical vehicles powered
and towed are DEMIL Code Q with IC of 3.

CONCLUSION:​
Provided the existing policy exceptions remain in place, the sale of most tactical​
vehicles powered and towed through Government Liquidators will continue.

http://www.mvpa.org/memsec/downloads/DemilReport0209.pdf

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps this thread should be locked? The answer to our fears has been given, and the matter seems resolved. Any further discussion would be rumors at best, and could lead to more unsupported speculation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks