• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tractors, tractors, and more tractors

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Tractors 5 ton plusssss

Dunno about the others - but I was confining my answer to the five ton tractors that were requested. However, as you know from our previous correspondence - the WLF is one of my favorites.

Regards,
David

jh1990

Hey no problem David (or anybody else), if you want to add bigger tractors to this thread be my guest, I don't know that much about military tractors, but would love to.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

In reference to the M 915 with an air shift CAT transmission, expect much higher speeds than 75 since I once spent an entire day chasing my M 915's in North Dakota and Minnisota in my M 1009 doing 85 and not catching them until they reached a traffic jam. When the truck is in 16th gear it can reach nearly 100 MPH if it is in good running shape. (In USAREUR, they locked out 16th gear too keep the drivers from hauling A** on the autobahn)

We had all our trucks changed over to radials and the way we kept them running made us enough money to even take some in and have them dyno'ed in commercial shops. We would haul National Guard unit equipment to their AT site and back and worked for DRMS and DLA moving items around the country.

We had the highest milage truck company in CONUS for years. 104th Trans Medium Truck M818 and M 151 through M 915 and M 1009 it was a blast convoying all over America with those great Soldiers

jh1990

That sounds like a heck of a lot of fun. Off topic here but Armyman, is it possiable to switch from say a Ranger Btn. to a trans, Co.? Just wondering, I'm planning a career as an Airborne Ranger and was thinking that after a period of time (10-12 years) the constant front line duty might get a little much so I would continue my career in another unit where the combat duty is a little less. Thanks for all the help guys, more pictures would be appreciated.

ida34

Jason,
You can change from unit to unit and MOS to MOS in the Army. Most of the movement I saw when I was in was from specialized units like trans units to combat arms units like Infantry or Artillery. It is harder to make rank in the MOSs with smaller amounts of soldiers occupying them. In other words, you usually make rank quicker in a combat arms MOS but going the other way can and has been done.

jh1990

Hey Chuck, thanks, I was talking to a guy I know, but he always stayed within the Special Forces (Ranger, SF, Delta) area. I on the other hand would like a non-combat MOS to move to after a couple years as a Ranger (10-12 years). Thanks Chuck apperiate the words of wisdom.

Anybody got any pics of 818s in action? Thanks ya'll.

ida34

No matter what you get to keep the Ranger tab for ever. Just like my Air Assault wings and 101st Airborne combat patch.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

That type of lateral mobiliity is what makes the Army a great place to spend your time. I have had many Soldiers that came to the Transportation Corps from Combat Arms MOS's and they made great NCO's for our drivers and mechanics. They used to have a detail program where a second lieutenant would spend two years in the Infantry and then come over to a CSS unit to spend the rest of their time serving as a CSS officer. As far as my experience goes the current fight is seeing our Transportation Soldiers getting in as many firefights as a lot of Infantry since the roads in Iraq and Afghanistan are targets of opportunity for the Islamofascist jerks. Having done two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan I can tell you that it matters most how good your leaders are because Soldiers are all great and the leaders make or break them by their leadership style. The worse thing happens when a leader forgets that he or she is only there becauser of the Soldiers. I hope you have a great and fulfilling carreer keep in touch with me if you have any questions I am going on my 32 year.

jwaller

RE: 818

second one down is mine. and for some reason I cant figure out how to post pics anymore. I could from my old sie but now that the pics are on this site they dont want to link anymore.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too costtly to replace the M-series trucks it ended up with the Pershing missile battalions in Europe primarily. Perhaps only 500 built.
The companion cargo version was designed to "swim". They are all aluminum except for the frame, of course.
Lots of nice features, see other threads started by yours truly. At 16,000 lb it weighs less than many deuce variants. It has the 200 hp version of the multifuel engine.

Attachments

M1075

There are 3 wheelbases for the M39/M809/M939 series 5 tons: 167, 179, 215". The M818 is 167" and the M814 is 215". To convert a M814 to a tractor, you would need to cut off some frame overhang. The M819 has the 215" wheelbase but the same length frame as a standard 5 ton so the 5th wheel plate remains over the axles. You can find all of this info and much more in the -10 manual btw.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks