• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailering a deuce

Jake0147

I think some of you are jumping to conclusions about the tow vehicle here. He might be a little heavy, but not crazy heavy. He probably is going to be 100 percent road legal. Maybe not, depending how the trailer balances. The only place he's going to be over for sure is the manufacturer's GCVW, which is NOT a "safety spec" directly (although it comes into play). That is not structural capacity of anything, that is how good the cooling system is and such, or how long can you hold the stupid pedal flat on the floor without blowing something up. When you're over the GCWR you're not "dangerous" except for being slow.

The truck will have brakes at each axle adequate for the axle ratings. The trailer will have brakes at each axle adequate for the axle ratings. I can't see what the tires say, but one can only assume that they are adequate for the axles.

130,000 can be done safely on a five axle TT unit WITHOUT overloading a single component of the truck. BTDT. Or if it's an uneven load it'll crazy overload some components, or if you cheaped out on your tires it's disaster waiting to happen. If it's done right however, the overloaded component in that case is the paved roadway that you're driving on. If somebody calls you on it they don't pull you out of service as they do when there is structural defeciency (axle rating or tire rating exceeded), they ticket you for abusing the roadway and then send you on your way as-is.

chicklin

Just got her home. Kind of a late night, so I will post pics and more info tomorrow. One tidbit, though. He said he stopped at a scale and grossed out at 43k. I had guessed it at about 35k. Wow. More to come.....

Blythewoodjoe

DanMartin said:
Joe,

How much does your trailer weigh dry? What brand/make/model?
I have no idea what it weighs but it is made by "Load-Max" and the sticker says it will gross 11,000 each axle. It is marketed as a 9 ton. I will be posting some stuff about an Internation truck I have when I get back in a few days and one picture of this truck shows the ramp down. I'll try to remember to let you know about that. I like the trailer and I think they have a web site if I can find it.

Good to see Chicklin got his truck home. I wouldn't have driven that rig at 43,000.

Blacksmoke

I was guessing 35k conservatively. Wonder what kind of tags he had on that rig? In Missouri, you can get 6k, 12k, 18k, 24k which is what I have on my F-350, 30k, & I don't know after that. CDL required for 30k & up. No way I would have driven that rig either.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to throw it out there here's what I pull my Deuces with, 3/4 ton single wheel and triple axle goose. I've driven across scales before and never got flagged.

Attachments

mangus580

Tie, I would do your setup without any issues. I'm not sure why that Ford dually had such a hard time.. (maybe its the ford!)

I just recently towed my bulldozer behind the wife's 99 K2500 6.5 powered suburban. Dozer weighs probably 10k or so. That was a tag along trailer. I would do it again... no questions.

nice truck btw!

chicklin

Well, here's the pics. Unfortunately it was pretty dark, so this is the best I could do. It was a hell of a load. The guy was real nice and did a great job loading, unloading and securing. His pickup did not look stressed at all to me. The fire engine ran great except it had no brakes. It was an International and sounded like it had a pretty good sized motor, too. Everything went smooth as could be.

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

RE: Re: RE: Trailering a deuce

September 19th, 2008.

I had a weenie bring my deuce home from Colorado last October (07) on a slant deck version of that rig, with a jeep wagoneer up front. The first call went "I have your monster on my trailer and I can only do 45!"' What are you pulling it with?" A one ton chevy pickup!" Don't drop the deuce enroute" It took hime about 24 hours to go from Colorado Springs to Paris, TX, and when I got the truck ready to unload the outer two tandem duals were hanging in air unsupported. I asked him if he'd read the weights and dimensions the dispatcher gave him, he said "Yes". I said from now on haul nothing bigger then an M38/M37/M715 or your truck is toast.....
Between you and I, I would hire a commercial truck moving company to handle your deuce on a conventional gooseneck trailer behind a tractor, as if your guy hits any hills or curving roads, the results may be that you get a new deuce from the insurance money. Many of these wingnuts have no clue as to what a deuce weighs, and what can happen with one on a trailer if a tire blows or other unexpected event occurs...... Just my 2cents worth, I'll be :popcorn: waiting to see what happens. Probably nothing, but if it does, it's going make the fat lady sings !

Good Luck, someone's got big kahunas.....

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

NB: Glad your truck got home safe.... BUT I still think that 43,000 behind a non airbraked truck IS A SAFETY VIOLATION.... any failures and it's all over.... The Federal DOT should require CDL's and on road inspections of these units just like they do with a conventional tractor- trailer rig.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pctrans said:
My TT was registered for 80,00lbs, and many times hauledpotatoes loads out of main grossing 130,000., no problem!!??
And I suppose you're going to tell us you did this hauling on 5 axles???? NO WAY!!
Well, I've hauled 120,000# on 5 axles (verified by CAT scales). It's not legal by any means and will mash the crap out of your tires but I did do it once (hopefully not again).

As far as the law goes, I know that KY will check the GVW of the haul vehicle and write you a ticket if over. I don't care what your tags say or how many axles you have. Right after the Ford Super Duty came out (GVW 16,000). I got stopped at the KY scales. First thing the officer did was open the door and look at the tag. He thought it was a F350 (GVW 11,000) and I crossed the scales at 14,000#. I had tags to cover the weight and my GVW was fine so he let me go but he told me if I was over GVW I would have gotten a ticket and been parked untill I got it under.

Well as i said i have a valid clean CDL and i would not do what this dip(_____) is diong he is totally stupid the winch duece weighs 13800 mine dose and i have hauled a fire truck like this for junk and it weighed in at 15500 so do the math any truck driver with brains would not do this and the company needs to be turned in to the DOT for allowing it .Its not your fault ths guy has no brains what so ever and i would stand toe to toe and tell him he's a ________________ thats my 2 cents .

beaubeau

500 mile Haul

This was my first haul with 3500 Chevy Duramax and 20,000 LB trailer. I hauled from Chambersburg to N.H. in Feb. Deuce and 1 trl in back of deuce. No problem and even got carried away several times at speeds of 75mph!?? I am not bragging, just a matter of getting things done without the need of Special Deliveries by some Proffessional who may know Less than I do. Yes I hauled 130,00lbs on my semi, Not every day, but more than ONCE, yes I was illegal and yes I was paid by Weight, and YES, life is a Gamble, and Risk stimulates the Blood!!! Just like buying from GL, Sight unseen, It,s a gamble!!

Attachments

100dollarman

I'll throw my .02 in-

That load was HEAVY for that truck, but I am glad you got your truck ok. Nice looking Deuce, too!

I have a 30' gooseneck that is 14K gross that I have thought about putting a Deuce on, but always decide against it.
I also have a Zieman that I haul my little dozer (10K lbs) on. My tag hitch is rated for 15k lbs so I am ok there, but sometimes I'll put my backhoe on it (14k lbs) for a short easy move. I am overweight then and drive very carefully. I had a Deuce stolen and had to trailer it about 8 miles so I put it on the Zieman. It was heavy, but no problem.

Attachments

chicklin

docfarmall said:
Well as i said i have a valid clean CDL and i would not do what this dip(_____) is diong he is totally stupid the winch duece weighs 13800 mine dose and i have hauled a fire truck like this for junk and it weighed in at 15500 so do the math any truck driver with brains would not do this and the company needs to be turned in to the DOT for allowing it .Its not your fault ths guy has no brains what so ever and i would stand toe to toe and tell him he's a ________________ thats my 2 cents .
The firetruck was about 8,000 lbs. Verified on the scale.

Bill W

"The firetruck was about 8,000 lbs. Verified on the scale"

Well if his entire load grossed out at 43,000lbs then that firetruck weighs a heck of alot more then 8000lbs, just do the math yourself: tow vehicle,7500lbs, deuce 13,500lbs, trailer 7000lbs ( these are high #'s ) comes to 28,000lbs, that leaves 15,000lbs unaccounted for?????

joeM62

it might be my eye's or the way the pic looks but the front of that gooseneck looks low, wonder if it would have been better if the FT was in front and the duce in back, thats alot of pounditch on the front that duce. i was wondering if it would be better to tow a duce with another using a towbar or use a hot shot rig?

rizzo

Bill W said:
"The firetruck was about 8,000 lbs. Verified on the scale"

Well if his entire load grossed out at 43,000lbs then that firetruck weighs a heck of alot more then 8000lbs, just do the math yourself: tow vehicle,7500lbs, deuce 13,500lbs, trailer 7000lbs ( these are high #'s ) comes to 28,000lbs, that leaves 15,000lbs unaccounted for?????
I think that trailer is closer to 10k high 9s. maybe he has a extra semi fuel tank, but that would probably only be 1k

I'm glad to see it got there safe and sound. looks like a real nice truck

56FordGuy

I've had a couple of diesel pickups like that- my last one, an '02 F-350 4x4 weighed 8500 pounds with a full fuel tank, gooseneck hitch, tools, tie down straps, etc...

In any case, glad the truck made it alright. No way I would have hauled that much on a pickup, though...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks