• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case removal/replacing

stancanpara

Decided to remove the bed to make it a little easier to access the parking break etc. And to pressure wash it so I'm not getting so much cr@p falling in my face... Noticed an interesting difference... the donor has a different mounting than the one I'm replacing... Will actually do the transplant Sunday... want a full day of sunlight in case it takes longer than anticipated...

Attachments

stancanpara

Got the transfer case in today!!! Yay!!! I hadn't realized, but I think my transfer case must have been bad since I got it.... This one runs so smooth and quiet!!!!! The original one always made quite a bit of noise....:) Thanks everyone for your suggestions, they were VERY helpful! I never would have thought about taking the passenger seat out etc!!

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bar across doors and chain fall is technique for removing transmission. Transfer cased rfequires a jack from below and a good floor or smooth work surface. P[roblem is to balance vee shaped t case on jack. People that did this all the time fabricated special braces to correctly support unit. Think about putting front wheels on blocks first to improve ground clearance to get old out and new in under truck. Remove spare as described before also.
No it does not requires it. Hello. Chain fall best way and safest way. Trans jack is the worst way and gets people hurt. Yea I know that's all I have is a trans jack and I don't want to take of the top cause it's to many bolts.
Don't think any of those reasons are good enough for me and yea there are plenty of people that will post that they did it with floor jacks or trans jacks. Well I say they should keep the (rap to them selfs when someone who does not know the correct way of doing asked. You will get someone hurt!!!!!!!!
and I don't care if you changed 400 transfer cases with a floor jack.

Last edited:

Emmett

I'm happy for ya...Just pulled out a transmission to find the Xfer case also needed to be replaced too.
Both are out now and will install again this weekend. Thanks to a large transmission jack and a -20 everything was straight forward.
The hardest thing is the ****ed heavy flywheel that needed to be resurfaced.
I don't like working with large heavy things like this but it isn't so bad.

stancanpara

It was hard work but using a heavy duty transmission jack below and a chain drop and 2 ton come along from above, as well as taking the bed off made it doable by myself. Just had to take my time and it wasn't TOO bad... Just can't wait to build a pole barn so I can have a real shop work area in out of the rain.... ;-)

stancanpara

You did a good job, one that is not for the timid.
It's not like I had a lot of choice.... Truck was broken and had to be repaired so I can drive it..... Besides, I'd rather spend $ on parts, fuel, etc than paying a mechanic (if I could even find one to do it) boatloads of $ to do it....

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You had a soft top so 1/4 of the work was done. Bed removal was not needed. There is a open bolt hole on top of the transfer case. Running a chain to that bolt hole and the next bolt over to the passenger side gives the perfect ballance point. I take out the the bolts passanger side and the two bolts that hold the long bar to frame. Go up a bit on the chain and that will allow you to rotate transfer case to the correct pisition to then be lowered from above.

Sorry but I wil not do it anyouther way. They are two heavy to play with also I have never been the one not to find or buy what is needed to get the job done correctley and safeley. Yes I do have a anvantage by having cranes and all I needed was the chain fall. An air ratchect makes short work of all bolts needed to gain access to the parts in the way.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 9-2320-361-34 (US Air Force edition); pages 9-2 and 9-3:

"7. Position transfer case jack stand under transfer case (25) and secure transfer case (25) to jack stand with safety chain or strap"

I agree hoisting is likely to be safer than using a transmission jack, but under proper conditions with proper equipment, a rolling trans jack will work fine.

I will be hoisting.

Last edited:

rustystud

TM 9-2320-361-34 (US Air Force edition); pages 9-2 and 9-3:

"7. Position transfer case jack stand under transfer case (25) and secure transfer case (25) to jack stand with safety chain or strap"

I agree hoisting is likely to be safer than using a transmission jack, but under proper conditions with proper equipment, a rolling trans jack will work fine.

I will be hoisting.
I agree with the proper equipment it is just as easy to remove it from the bottom. Of course I have a 1,000 Ibs transmission floor jack to play with.

rustystud

When you build your shop make it as big as you can afford, plan for expansion, it will never be big enough. :beer:
Oh I totally agree !!!!! Of course my wife thinks it is just a waste of time and money. After all, according to her I have only about ten more good years before I am unable to do anything anymore. She doesn't' realize that those last ten years I will be doing what I want to do ! Not working on some customers POS wreck they never maintained, but "my" projects.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks