• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying M813s and M939s at Tractor pulls

SWMARTINA

My son wants to try our bone stock 1971 M813 out at the local tractor pull. Any chance of destroying it even if he takes it easy. If its okay to try it any suggestions on gear to use? low range or high range. Thanks. Bill

61sleepercab

I would surf the truck pulling web sites for some ideas. What little I can share is that you need to match engine rpm to the top torque band to get the most out of the engine. Whether you can shift during the pull is one big question. Too hot a hole shot and you could possibly toast the clutch, blow a U joint or snap an axle before you know it. Tire pressure is something to play with as well as can you run weight in the bed over the rear duals.

I would try pulling something big behind the truck in a test and see what range and gear pulls best and do not over rev the clutch at starting and be easy with her.

I would try the "been there done that" attitude rather than petal to metal and dump the clutch and then pick up pieces in bushel basket. Saw one tractor puller blow a crankshaft and you could see through the motor block in the hole as big as a bucket bottom. Let us know how it goes . Mark

SWMARTINA

M813 at truck pull

My son pulled our 1971 Kaiser M813 at the local tractor/truck pull. Had to compete in the hotrod semi class. He pulled the sled 216 feet (low range,2nd gear ).Of course he didn't win against the professionals in their semi rigs but there was another semi truck that pulled a shorter distance then him. Thanks to you guys who responded to my original post asking for pulling advise. Bill

Ford Mechanic

Pulled my M923A2 Sat. night at the truck pull. The track was very hard and tacky. The first pull I forgot 6x6 but also let it shift to 2nd, around the 275 mark it downshifted and I stopped it. The 2nd time I kept it to 1st and had the 6x6 it was slow going after about the 250 ft mark but she kept clawing the whole way there. It maintained 1600rpm with full throttle after the full weight hit it. I also had full air pressure in the tires 70 psi front 60 psi rear, I think. :tank:

First pull
http://vid922.photobucket.com/albums/ad70/rodeo_mike/DSCF5427.mp4

2nd pull
http://vid922.photobucket.com/albums/ad70/rodeo_mike/DSCF5431.mp4

Last edited:

ke5eua

Pulled my M923A2 Sat. night at the truck pull. The track was very hard and tacky. The first pull I forgot 6x6 but also let it shift to 2nd, around the 275 mark it downshifted and I stopped it. The 2nd time I kept it to 1st and had the 6x6 it was slow going after about the 250 ft mark but she kept clawing the whole way there. It maintained 1600rpm with full throttle after the full weight hit it. I also had full air pressure in the tires 70 psi front 60 psi rear, I think. :tank:

First pull
http://vid922.photobucket.com/albums/ad70/rodeo_mike/DSCF5427.mp4

2nd pull
http://vid922.photobucket.com/albums/ad70/rodeo_mike/DSCF5431.mp4

Not bad. I thought about doing it as a novelty thing, don't want to break anything.

poppop

Sled owners frown on dump clutch starts. I have heard them state, jerk my sled and you are disqualified. You really can't hurt anything as long as you use good common sense. The only warning I can give is if you get wheel hop stop, or you could break an axle or something else.

ke5eua

Sled owners frown on dump clutch starts. I have heard them state, jerk my sled and you are disqualified. You really can't hurt anything as long as you use good common sense. The only warning I can give is if you get wheel hop stop, or you could break an axle or something else.
I completely agree with the hop. It's a rule I live by.

no_hopping_t_shirt-r351ac4e70c164a76937807a798254e12_804gs_512.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The 5 ton in low range will out pull pretty much any civilian truck. I pulled more than real full size semi tractors could. It's so much grunt in low range and plenty of tire contact with 3 axles and plenty of weight to keep it all planted. On dry dirt that it. Mud is a different story.
Will

Ford Mechanic

Here we have 2 truck pulls a month within 30 miles of me, they have everything from the mini rod lawnmowers to the smoker single engine tractors, to the unlimited 4x4 gas and diesel trucks. We also have the Grave Digger shop and the Dennis Anderson owned Muddy Motorsports Park that has a event once a month.

My M923A2 is a auto also but if you'll notice I have the 14.00 tires on it, that probably contributed to me not having enough power to pull it in 2nd.