• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying M813s and M939s at Tractor pulls

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The trucks are meant to pull. Members use their trucks daily for heavy work and don't break anything. If you were chained up back to back of another 5ton pulling like that then yes you might break something. Just pulling a heavy load is what the truck does best. The engines like to be used it will clear out some carbon and probably run better if you haven't worked it in some time.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe so. The first time Jayco pulled (video uploading now) he said it caught him early. He can explain it better. No, I did not take my M813 out on the truck although Gimpy rode over with me and tried to talk me into it.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
That's awesome. How much did the sled weight or what was the sled weight up to when he stopped? Most of the pulls by me don't allow anything over 10k lbs.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jayco was a staff volunteer for the event and I think he knows how much weight was in there. They were running the 4x4 3/4 ton modifieds and I didn't see them pull any out. Maybe 40,000 or so. He had mentioned 55,000 but I don't know for sure.

The big thing is that the trucks connections were too high. Great for puller since it is pulling down on the truck but pulling front of the sled up. First truck pull in probably 25 years for me. Anyway you look at it Cummins won the night. The 5.9s were putting so much power down one had a 348 foot pull. It was a fun night with three 5-tons there.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I had to use a 3 foot tow strap between my rear shackles to be at the right height for the sled hook. I wish there was more stuff like that by me.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I wonder if something could be rigged up for the GA Rally, a BIG, chunk of concrete, or pulling one wrecker or two wreckers chained together, being that the wreckers so out weigh everything else, it would be not fair to pull against the others. I would be a fun event, could use 3/4 wrecker chain as the connecting link.

jw4x4

That was the first time I have ever hooked anything to a pulling sled. I made a rookie mistake. I approached the sled and backed with the transfer case in high range. Got hooked, and put the case in low. When I shifted the transmission into gear, dummy me put it in 5th and let it shift on its own. What I should have done was use 1st and only let it shift into 2nd, until I felt the sled start tugging me down, then manually shift back to 1st and let it eat. I am proud of this first attempt and eagerly looking forward to the next time.

jw4x4

I wonder if something could be rigged up for the GA Rally, a BIG, chunk of concrete, or pulling one wrecker or two wreckers chained together, being that the wreckers so out weigh everything else, it would be not fair to pull against the others. I would be a fun event, could use 3/4 wrecker chain as the connecting link.
I was thinking about an obstacle course type layout. Not so much hills and the like, but slalom turns, precision backing, stopping the front bumper as close as possible to a set point, running over aluminum cans to see how many you could crush with out missing any. But the wreckers could not compete with the shorter wheelbase vehicles.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not to be a negative nancy, but I can see a "home made" competition going south pretty quick. Either something will get broken, someone get hurt, or property damaged. Probably just not a good place for it there.

It would be interesting though if a sled could be brought in and some track setup for it near the campground to do it right.

jw4x4

I miss this stuff. I think there is a little of it here but not much.
Buddy, I was certainly thinking of you. These hopped up diesel trucks are insane. They even had a gasser class. One truck had a Steve Schmidt mountain motor. It didn't roll the coal, but a screaming mountain motor is sweet music to my ears. I was pretty fired up the whole evening. Had a great time. Big craving for more now.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fired up about the track people too and the non-existent safety........

Would haven't have been a good evening if the Dodge that broke and went through the concrete wall before the MV pulls had been on our side and hit the people on it. Something broke and although the truck stopped inertia (a biatch) took to sliding about 20-30 with the sled.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks