• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying M813s and M939s at Tractor pulls

jw4x4

As you well know, that type of thing was really bothering me the whole evening. I am not trying to be a d#@$, I just always think worst case scenario and have a huge concern of safety.

poppop

Here is a picture of my sled that I built. We play with it at our annual antique tractor club event in November. It will stop a 100 HP tractor and any regular 4 wheel drive pickup. It does very little with a duece or 5 ton other than just be a nusience to it. MDMORGAN pulled it with his Dodge 4x4 and it stopped it the second pull because we forgot to put the weight in gear on his first pull.

Attachments

ke5eua

Here is a picture of my sled that I built. We play with it at our annual antique tractor club event in November. It will stop a 100 HP tractor and any regular 4 wheel drive pickup. It does very little with a duece or 5 ton other than just be a nusience to it. MDMORGAN pulled it with his Dodge 4x4 and it stopped it the second pull because we forgot to put the weight in gear on his first pull.
Details, blueprints, diagrams, impressive, video, wow

poppop

No blueprints or diagrams. I designed it in my head at night in bed as I went along and build it out of scrap. I will give a little more details later as the Wife wants to go visit some friends now.

rebelqwes87

Not to be a negative nancy, but I can see a "home made" competition going south pretty quick. Either something will get broken, someone get hurt, or property damaged. Probably just not a good place for it there.

It would be interesting though if a sled could be brought in and some track setup for it near the campground to do it right.
There is the Liberty Truck and Tractor Pull in White Plains, Ga. Just a short drive from Durhamtown. If folks are serious about it maybe they could be contacted and set something up.

Jayco36REQS

That's awesome. How much did the sled weight or what was the sled weight up to when he stopped? Most of the pulls by me don't allow anything over 10k lbs.
When we pulled... the sled was at 52,000 lbs and he had the box at the top by 120', (usually meant for Pro Modified tractors), and had the pan drop at 180'...
First pull was around 205'. I pulled in high gear and just put it in drive. I just wanted to see what the truck would do in High-drive and go from there.
Second pull was around 225'. I pulled in low gear in drive, and let it shift through.

** Couple things I noticed...
1) The torque converter is REALLY loose for a big truck. Once the sled dropped to dead weight on the pad, you figure I only pulled it 25' until the rpms dropped enough to not engage the converter.
2) I could feel the sled drop on the pan and the truck grunted down just a bit.... but definitely NOT going to break these trucks pulling a sled like this. Tug-a-trucks? Yea, maybe. Yanking a tree stump out.. oh yeah.. good chance of snapping something.
3) It might have been better in 4-wheel drive.... or maybe running down the middle of the track in the muddy section.
4) Definitely pull in low gear range just to keep the rpm's up to keep the converter engaged.

Well it was a good baseline for my truck since this week it will get a turbo, dual fuel line mod, #20 button to start, pyro, and air cleaner mod.... So the next chance I get to hook to a sled, it will be interesting to see how it does.

All-in-all a fun night!! Thank you guys for coming out!!! :)

Jayco36REQS

Right before the run, a lovely young lady asked to ride. Gimpy was supposed to be recording inside the cab, but I have not seen any evidence.
Yea I had 3 girls riding with me ... one was recording from in the cab on both runs. I'll see if I can get in touch with her to see if she posts them on youtube. I'll post a link is I can. :)

Jayco36REQS

That was the first time I have ever hooked anything to a pulling sled. I made a rookie mistake. I approached the sled and backed with the transfer case in high range. Got hooked, and put the case in low. When I shifted the transmission into gear, dummy me put it in 5th and let it shift on its own. What I should have done was use 1st and only let it shift into 2nd, until I felt the sled start tugging me down, then manually shift back to 1st and let it eat. I am proud of this first attempt and eagerly looking forward to the next time.
I did this on purpose on both runs, just to see what the truck would do under a heavy load in high, then low range... It shifted pretty smooth in high and low range. First pull in high it shifted to 2nd gear, but never down shifted back to 1st under high load... just pooped out on the converter.

I could definitely feel it move faster in low range as it shifted to 2nd, then 3rd... then back to 2nd.... and it stopped there.

I agree, if we manually dropped it back to 1st in low it would have been interesting for sure.... Next time! :)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you both would still be pulling in first low but that's just me. I was the chicken who didn't want to break his truck. :)

ke5eua

Food for thought, when doing really heavy loads like that manually shift the auto and keep it in 2nd. Dropping it in first will after being in second would just wind out to much, second is just right for the girls.

Now of you started in first low and kept the rpms at the max torque level I agree, you would have taken the sled home with you.

Glad you had fun

Jayco36REQS

Buddy, I was certainly thinking of you. These hopped up diesel trucks are insane. They even had a gasser class. One truck had a Steve Schmidt mountain motor. It didn't roll the coal, but a screaming mountain motor is sweet music to my ears. I was pretty fired up the whole evening. Had a great time. Big craving for more now.
JW if your interested, I'll let you know if there are any close pulls coming up the rest of the season. We can hang out in the pits with the dad and his tripple 440 Chrysler Modified tractor.

Jayco36REQS

Food for thought, when doing really heavy loads like that manually shift the auto and keep it in 2nd. Dropping it in first will after being in second would just wind out to much, second is just right for the girls.

Now of you started in first low and kept the rpms at the max torque level I agree, you would have taken the sled home with you.

Glad you had fun
It stopped both of us in 2nd low... I think it would have needed 1st low to keep the rpms wound up to hope to keep it going. It will be interesting to see what the addition of the turbo will do.

Here is the schedule for the rest of the season for the OMTPA... (my dads group)

August 23-----Lynchburg, Ohio 7:00 All OPEN Multi engine / Single engine/ 2wd and 4wd Truck

September 4----Hillsboro, Ohio 6:30 Multi engine / Single engine / 4X4 Trucks ?Semi?

September 6--Hillsboro, Ohio 6:30 All OPEN Multi engine / 2wd and 4wd Truck / Semi

September 24--Georgetown, Ohio 7:00 Multi engine /Open Single engine/4X4 Trucks/ 2wd truck

September 27--Georgetown, Ohio (open) 7:00 Multi engine open

Oct 4-------------Washington CH (Charity pull) 5:00 All OPEN Multi engine/Single engine/2wd/4wd Truck/Sem

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I had mine in low range and put the shifter in 1st and left it there. I had done a bunch of pulls the vid is of the final one. No one else there could pull it at all. I was very surprised since there were real full sized road semi trucks. I figured those things would have some power. My tractor is an a2. It grumbled a second till the turbo spooled on the final pull but once I was moving I could have dragged that sled down the street.