• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turned up the Fuel today

treeguy

Post # 31, what makes an engine do that? HOLY S......., that scares my check book! It sounded fine in the beginning, what happened? Obviously keep oil in them and don't over rev them, but what? Will clattering/tapping valve/push rods cause that, how about just a tick in the rods?

I HATE JOKES!!!!

Especially when it comes to real info!!!! Its not nice to scare people.

Last edited:

hdmax

There is a very real possibility of grenadeing the turbo with those kinds of boost numbers! They very old designed turbos are not meant to see boost like the news pickup truck diesels.
But it isn't my money, so have fun until it goes boom.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i really dont see any problem running 26lbs of boost with water injection..it seems to like it and makes alot of smoke and power..

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got my pyrometer, boost gauge and water injection installed today. the boost went to 26lbs and EGT was just under 1,100.
Those numbers aren't really unrealistic with water injection. The water injection will increase boost and also keep the EGT down.

Now if the mutifuel can hold up to that kind of boost long term is still up for debate.

jwaller

I have been running these kinds of numbers for about 6 years now with my deuce. yes I have water inj and a lot of fuel. always keep the rpm's under redline and egts under 1300.

Billy Bobbed

I have been running these kinds of numbers for about 6 years now with my deuce. yes I have water inj and a lot of fuel. always keep the rpm's under redline and egts under 1300.

Did you bypass the FDC or did you turn the screw a lot or both.I dont have my FDC bypassed but I have the screw turned about 2 2 1/2 turns.I have smoke but want more.I keep turning the screw and it didnt seem to make much more of a differance in the smoke so I didnt turn it anymore.

treeguy

With the smoke as a result of turning up the fuel, is this going to create carbon build up in the exhaust stack? I am starting to see a noticable amount of soot, carbon on the bend at the tip of my stack. I think it smokes worse when its cold, (like diesels do) so maybe thats the cause.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you bypass the FDC or did you turn the screw a lot or both.I dont have my FDC bypassed but I have the screw turned about 2 2 1/2 turns.I have smoke but want more.I keep turning the screw and it didnt seem to make much more of a differance in the smoke so I didnt turn it anymore.
Do you have a pyro and boost gauge installed? A pyro is a must when you go to turning up the fuel. The best you can do is to turn it up until your EGT starts to get out of hand and then quit. It's hard to tell by just looking at the smoke comming out of the stack.

I'd say by turning your truck up 2 1/2 turns you are past the danger zone as far as EGT is concerned.

Seth_O

Got them both.The EGT has never went higher than 1250,going to turn the screw more later.[thumbzup]
Billy,
I have that same aubern pyro, where did you get your mounting bracket? I was going to fab one, but really like your dimpled bracket - is that one you made or bought?

Cheers....

jwaller

I only turned the fuel up, I want and have my fdc working correctly. smoke has no bearing on what means anything. egt is what is most important.

you will see more egt and boost when your truck is loaded and going up hill. make sure you test in different terrain areas.

I can easily tell when my fuel filters start to get clogged, the egt won't go as high and the boost falls off fast. I converted to spin on's and it's a much quicker change now.

jollyroger

Good thread. Ha Ha[thumbzup]

I was getting geared up for all kinds of technical questions.

Comparison LDT to LDS turbo boost 14 psi to 25 psi?
Obviously different turbos and many improvements to the LDS but.....

Head bolt stretch under heavy boost numbers over 25 psi?

Has anyone run the propane injection on the multifuels yet?

A friend of mine has twin turbos in his Dodge Cummins. A stock turbo hufing into an ATS Aurora 5000. 65 psi of boost. Yep. 65 PSI. He had to put in head studs cause the stock head bolts start to stretch at around 45 psi of boost.

jwaller

what boost level anybody else runs in any motor other than a multifuel has no relevance on our discussion.

The multifuel was not designed as a turbo motor, it was an after thought and as such high boost was never in it's nature to be dealt with. Many if not all of the components in the multi motor were not meant to handle any boost much less high levels.

It has actually surprised me that I've not pushed a head gasket out yet. when I do I won't complain bc I know it's coming and when it does I'll fix it with better parts that are meant to handle boost.