• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two new toys unimog 404

Ferretboy

I have traded or sold ferret parts off and to this day kick myself...thought i would never need or want them....now i need them and cant find them....oh well...

Guyfang

Staff member
Oh. ..many years ago a fellow unimog owner ask me if i wanted a copy of my mogs data card....i gave him the i.d.number and he sent a copy of a data card from daimler benz with all the info my unimog came from the factory with....numbers of engine ...gearbox...axles....steering box...the brand of tires...even that it was equipped with a heater...nice still have it...i dont know how you can get a copy of yours...but there must be a way....that was nearly 30 years ago and i cant recall the fellow owners name.
Ask the Miggens Brothers. Chris might be able to give you a lead.

joeblack5

Did take the wife and mog shopping at walmart, That was fun. My local garage signed on the paperwork confirming the vin number and weights so that the Title transfer and registration can be attempted.. Need to make some seat with seat belts for the kids in the bed.
repaired some of the wiring and switches. replaced a broken running light with led. The piggy back emergency flasher module is broken so need to get a new one.
Removed the iris shield in the indicator light for head beams, now it is better visible. . The brake wiring has been modified, still have to figure that out.
on to rust repair of the doors.
tbc
Johan

Last edited:

joeblack5

I have traded or sold ferret parts off and to this day kick myself...thought i would never need or want them....now i need them and cant find them....oh well...

A ferret is a little more exotic then a 404.
Really would like a more or less original looking tacho and voltmeter. So I figured to start out with the housing of the odometer and build a new instrument inside.
See my request for broken gauges.

Started eye balling the rust on the driver door. That door is also missing the lower glass holder. I have it locked in the up position with a bolt and piece of plastic hose but this truck needs to be driven with open window. Haha.

It is nice that the door comes of so easy. Then I can weld flat. With my low..low TIG skills I need all the advantage I can get.IMG_20200526_204525_269.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
Joe, Ferretboy. I may be going to take a ride, in the direction of a Moog guy I know. He might have books or info you can use, if I know what you might need. naturally in German, but who knows, maybe he has something in English. He sells parts and make repairs. I can ask. Cant hurt, wont cost a penny.

Ferretboy

Hello there johan....my cab is a canvas soft top ...yours a hardtop....my windows are canvas and plastic...you have nice roll up glass....i also love the roof hatch....that looks really cool.....do you know anything about the circle and triangle with 25 on the doors.....looks interesting???? Keep up the great work.....very nice.

Ferretboy

I have a question about a marking under the hood...if anyone knows....i copied it and painted it back...but have never figured out its 20200527_185926.jpgmeaning....

joeblack5

Joe, Ferretboy. I may be going to take a ride, in the direction of a Moog guy I know. He might have books or info you can use, if I know what you might need. naturally in German, but who knows, maybe he has something in English. He sells parts and make repairs. I can ask. Cant hurt, wont cost a penny.

Hi Guy,
that would be great,
I am a still to green to ask any meaningful questions but I did read up on these tach meters and amp meters.
Supposingly available as .. SA35540 ( revcounter / tachometer) and SA35181 ( Amp meter)
I would like to see an image and location where and how they placed in the soft cab and hard cab.

Then I found a picture of a voltmeters at BW that looks like a 404 style gauge when looking at the bezel but???
Can not read the name under V so?

Any better information appreciated. German is no problem for me. Pictures/ diagrams would be great.

Johan

Attachments

Ferretboy

Great strories ....that seems a major task to repair gauges.....would think it cool to drive a mog out anywhere.....my old mog is lucky to get very far from the garage.....im terrified to brake down.....getting it home again....i think thats great you are brave enough to go out for a drive....very nice you enjoy the hobby.....David

joeblack5

Great strories ....that seems a major task to repair gauges.....would think it cool to drive a mog out anywhere.....my old mog is lucky to get very far from the garage.....im terrified to brake down.....getting it home again....i think thats great you are brave enough to go out for a drive....very nice you enjoy the hobby.....David
Well far is a relative word..every car I drive..and everything is old and has more then 200000 miles on it brakes down. Used to it...sometime expect it even and else murphy is always there to help me out... I never go anywhere without tools and and some amount of spare parts..

Just let the coolant of. I did fill it with water since it was empty when I got it and did not want to spill antifreeze in case it would be leaking.. It is not leaking so the ordinary green coolant is the next thing . When I drained the water it was red and tasted sweet. Does the water evaporate and leave the concentrated glycol behind?

The other reason was that my temp gauge did not work.. So took it out and it looks like someone attempted a repair on the bulb..Also the thermo well that is screwed in the engine is leaking.. I will try to get that out as well and see if I can close it .

Now an experiment with a gauge can start.

Ferretboy

Do what?? The black widows were bad....please dont tell me you are Tasteing antifrezze..im sure you're joking......like i said ....very brave man....take care mate. Im still new here but wanted to thank you all....steel soldiers is a very nice forum...and joe black posts great and interresting stuff....love it.

joeblack5

You two ever seen this page? It has lots of info.

And what is the exact model number of your moogs?
Yes , I have seen that, actually that is where I got the part numbers from the tachometer and amp meter... They do not mention voltmeter but ????

My vin # 404 115 040608. 1966.

My main thing would be pictures of factory install.. And if that voltmeter is actually existing for the 404.

Thank you Guy.

joeblack5

I survived the antifreeze... Maybe it was ethylene glycol..the non toxic version for ice cream.. But no kidding.. I do taste it. Easiest way to tell what it is. Just lick of your finger and spit it back out. Almost 60 and still alive..

OK the gauge. It was not working..
I thought maybe the gauge gears were stuck so I cut the housing in such a way that I can re-assemble So here it is in pieces.. The caliper was clogged. It looks like the crimp at the gauge just nicked the tubing . Maybe it never worked.

The liquid , I think ether , was still in. When I unsoldered the capillary with a small torch at the bulb I had a good size rocket motor for 1/2 second. Then when I tried to get compressed air on the capillary... Nothing...inspected the capillary several times but no dents or kinks.. So then I decided to unsolder the gauge side... Same fireball when the liquid came out. Same ether smell.... David ..probably unhealthy ..but smells good..

Next was testing the gauge.. Compressed air.. 10 bar is 120 Celsius...

The capillary stick almost all the way in the bulb.

Well that is it for today.. Need to get some ether and vapor pressure diagram of ether to see if 10bar matches 120 Celsius.. Would not mind using slightly thicker capillary..

TBC
JohanIMG_20200528_192250_974.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Johan, you consider yourself new but you have learned and done more than most in your short time as a Unimog slave. Keep up the good work. I enjoy your thread too.

That voltmeter looks nice! I would like a vm in my trucks, if the source is found. My three 404 mogs never had voltmeters, just ammeters and the red 'charging' light as an indicator that all is well.

joeblack5

Johan, you consider yourself new but you have learned and done more than most in your short time as a Unimog slave. Keep up the good work. I enjoy your thread too.

That voltmeter looks nice! I would like a vm in my trucks, if the source is found. My three 404 mogs never had voltmeters, just ammeters and the red 'charging' light as an indicator that all is well.

Bob, Could you post a pic of your amp meters.. Were they mostly used in the radio trucks?
thank you,
johan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks